Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op, your experience

Hi all,

I'm scheduled to be banded on Friday March 18th. When I was at my pre-op seminar last week, we were told to do the pre-op diet about 7 days before surgery. It's only 1000 calories per day, the thought of it sends me in a tizzy, I hope I will be able to do this....when I reviewed the plan this morning I couldn't believe what little food there was. Most of the time I'm shoveling the food in, but I have cut back because I know it is right around the corner!

What has been your experience with your pre-op diets?

Thanks,

Corgi

I did a complete Atkins diet for a bout one month before surgery. I ended up dropping 16 pounds. Think of this as an experiement. try different Protein Shakes and powders. try mixing different flavors my favorite shake was a vanilla Protein Shake with a dash of cinnamon in it.yum. Don't be afraid to try different things. 1000 cal isn't that bad the weeks go by fast and just remember that you are taking steps to the new you. Good luck

I had to do 10 days of Clear liquids. It was hell, I tell ya!!! I did wind up cheating a couple of times when it just got unbearable. You can do this!!! Yes, it may be difficult, but you're gonna do just fine. Keep your eye on the goal (getting your band!!!). And come here with lots of questions so we can keep you motivated. Good luck!!!

ps There are several people who are getting banded on the 18th! Ya'll need to form a club, lol!!!

Once you're aware of what you're eating...quality not quantity, you'll be surprised how far 1000 calories will go. Try to choose lean meats, vegetables and avoid fried foods, breads. How about trying www.fitday.com to keep track of things for you? And start drinking tons of Water (just not w/meals). A lot of time when you think you're hungry, drinking will really help satisfy you.

I had to do like Betty, liquids for one day. Blossom liquids 10 days before, OMG, you poor thing, just getting through the two weeks after was enough, BUT, it was well worth it. I was also kicking my own butt because I didn't pick a heck of a better last meal, a waffle, what was I thinking?

I too had to do 10 days of Clear Liquids but ended up doing 15 days because my surgery was postponed 5 days. I was scared to death when they gave me the paper work on the diet. I thought I was going to be soooo weak but I wasn't. I could have 3 cups of milk a day also so that was what I used to fill me up at Breakfast, lunch and dinner. not much but it did help. I kept telling myself that I could do it and the end results would be worth it. I NEVER cheated the 15 days before surgery. Was afraid that my Dr. world be able to tell and cancel my surgery. My Dr. told me that the diet was so that my liver would shrink. Like many have said all Dr.'s are different and also all bandsters are different. I Know you can do it. Just think of the end results. A slimer you!!!

My doctor only asked that I go on a low carb diet as that would shrink the liver a little. Then I couldn't eat or drink 12 hours before surgery. It may have to do with starting weight (someone had mentioned making more room for the surgery). Regardless it's good to start if you can when you can.

I was one of those whose Dr. did not require a pre -op diet. My Dr. only requiers a pre op diet if your BMI is over 50, atleast that is how it was when I had surgery 11 months ago. He may have changed his policy.

Every meal was my last supper right up until the night before surgery .

I know what you mean, I got my Visa bill for the month right before my surgery - I ate my way through Houston! Now is a different story - I haven't had to shop in two week and my freezer still has food.< /p>

Thank you to all of YOU...this is the Best Board. I get so much information and support here....

Corgi, and yes I have a Pembroke Welch Corgi...

:0)

I had to do 14 days of liquid diet. I got to drink one Slim fast and 5 cans of Ensure each day with two Dannon lite yogurts. I paced it like one item every two hours and that keep the hunger pains away. I started dropping weight right away and lost 20 pounds oin the pre-op diet. SO that helped me along. Plus I got to really like the Ensures and now can't wait to get to senior citizen statis so I can have them again..lol

Was on liquid diet for 4 weeks after surgery but got to add things to it and I did this whole liquid diet without cheating once and it went a long way in helping me adjust to new habits.

Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted