Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A new medical issue for me.

Thanks for letting me know Kendra. You must have mentioned this before somewhere but obviously my brain didn't retain it. Definitely a dream class in that case. Says a lot about you teaching all these great achievers... you go girl ! :lol:

Kendra, just checking in on you and hopeing things are going good out your way. Let us know how your doing??

Hi, y'all! I haven't had anything to post because there hasn't been any news. I thought I'd be scheduled for new scans after the fifth round of chemo that I just completed but the doctor says we're going to wait until after the sixth round in three weeks. So there won't be any news about my future treatment until August.

In the meantime, I've gained about 20 pounds, which isn't fun at all! Some of the gain can be attributed to the steroids that I get with each infusion to reduce allergic reactions and nausea. My hair has become so thin that I now wear a wig when I go out in public because it just looks too goofy. I need to check into some scarves, too, but the wigs aren't as hot as I thought they'd be.

We're planning a great week-long trip in August. We'll fly to Los Angeles, then take the train that follows the coast to San Francisco. After two days there, we'll take the train that goes through the mountains to Denver and spend two days with our daughter, then fly back to Austin. It should be just the relaxing trip we need.

I'll be teaching all day for the next four weeks so this will be my most tiring schedule since all of this started. However, the afternoon classes are on the computer so I don't have to lecture all day, so it shouldn't be so bad.

Once I'm done with chemo for awhile (knock on wood!) I plan to get a fill and get rid of this weight!

I hope y'all are doing well! :tt2:

Hi Kendra!! So good to hear from you! I was hoping that no news was good news. Don't wory about the 20 lbs. Many chemo patients gain weight for the reasons you mentioned. It will come off when you're done with treatment. Just concentrate on getting well.

Your trip to California and Denver sounds wonderful! We drove Route 1 years ago from San Diego to San Francisco and it was amazing! Bet your daughter is looking forward to seeing you. Have a great time and let us know how your scans turn out. Still sending you positive energy from NY!!! :tt2:

Kendra, I'm so glad to have heard from you. It's been so long! Girl, you got to get some sassy wigs. Have you seen Desperate Housewives where (can't remember her name) lost her hair, got some wigs, and her husband was majorly turned on by the red one?

I don't know how to say this via the web since the web does not give emotion very well but I'm very sorry for what you're going through and I think about you often, my good vibes are going your way. Every time I'm on here I'm looking for a post from you, so you ARE in my thoughts. You've got a great attitude and that will get you far! Keep posting and let us know what's going on in your life.

Hey Kendra, great to see you posting again. I think about you all the time but don't want to bombard you with notes because I know you're busy with getting better.

Sorry about your hair but as Linda says, get sassy with some wigs. Now what colour do I want to be today? :frown:)

Your trip sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun and I bet you're looking forward to catching up with your daughter. Enjoy!

Don't worry about the weight gain, you'll get it off before you know it. I was taking steroids over xmas because of my allergy attack and I was bloated and hungry all the time... horrible! :thumbup:

Take care of yourself and keep us posted on the next stage. Have a great time on your break!! :)

Hi, y'all! I haven't had anything to post because there hasn't been any news. I thought I'd be scheduled for new scans after the fifth round of chemo that I just completed but the doctor says we're going to wait until after the sixth round in three weeks. So there won't be any news about my future treatment until August.

In the meantime, I've gained about 20 pounds, which isn't fun at all! Some of the gain can be attributed to the steroids that I get with each infusion to reduce allergic reactions and nausea. My hair has become so thin that I now wear a wig when I go out in public because it just looks too goofy. I need to check into some scarves, too, but the wigs aren't as hot as I thought they'd be.

We're planning a great week-long trip in August. We'll fly to Los Angeles, then take the train that follows the coast to San Francisco. After two days there, we'll take the train that goes through the mountains to Denver and spend two days with our daughter, then fly back to Austin. It should be just the relaxing trip we need.

I'll be teaching all day for the next four weeks so this will be my most tiring schedule since all of this started. However, the afternoon classes are on the computer so I don't have to lecture all day, so it shouldn't be so bad.

Once I'm done with chemo for awhile (knock on wood!) I plan to get a fill and get rid of this weight!

I hope y'all are doing well! :)

Hi Kendra,

So nice to see your update. Your trip sounds wonderful!!!!

I agree with Lindata, time to have some fun with those wigs! The other day I was at a beauty supply store where they had an entire wall of wigs on display -- they were so cute and natural looking, I almost bought a few for myself.

I'm sending quick healing vibes your way and also some extra energy vibes to give you a little boost at work during the next four weeks -- and of course, I'm still kicking and stomping!

Big hugs to you!!!!

Hey Kendra, how's it going? I miss your smiling face around here! :))

Hi Kendra, Your vacation sounds great.

I'm having a bad hair day (need a cut bad) and somedays I wish I could throw a wig on, and go out the door. So much lost time spent blow drying our hair, huh? You can try out some short styles without worrying about growing it all back, if you don;t love it.

Great to hear from you!

Hi, Y'all!

Thanks for asking about me! I'm doing fine. I'm just a little tired with my new teaching schedule -- my morning classes overlap with afternoon classes for four weeks but I'm halfway through and then I'll only have afternoon classes until mid-August when we have the break between summer and fall semesters. When classes resume on August 25th, it should be an easier schedule (though, less money, of course!)

Everyone tells me not to worry about gaining weight but it's hard when my clothes aren't fitting well and I gave all my big clothes away! I absolutely do not want to buy new big clothes so I'm just going to make do with what I have. I really don't see a reason not to get another fill because my appetite is definitely strong right now but I'll decide after we have a better idea of what my treatments will be after my next scans in early August. I lost it before and I will lose it again!

I should visit the November Nymphs board more often to see how y'all are doing. I'm now a moderator on a favorite political board and that seems to take a lot of my online time. But I'll try to check in once a week and post somewhere else besides this thread! ;)

Y'all take care! You know I love y'all! :)

Good to hear you are well Kendra, sorry about the weight gain but you have been through an ordeal and getting your health back on track is more important than a few lbs. Hope you're not overdoing it with work and your moderator role. Sounds like fun though. I'm off to work so hopefully I'll see you around more often. Take care!

Good to see your post - I haven't been around in awhile but wanted to check in on you.

I'm jealous of your trip. I am originally from California and miss it so much! Have a great time.

Bye for now,

Bobbi in Willis, Texas

Kendra , how are you my friend ?

How are things going ?

Hope your well !!! Hope your not working too hard w/ classes back in session or about to me .

Love

Mindy

Howdy, Y'all!

I had CT and MRI scans on Tuesday and the results were excellent. All tumors showed remarkable shrinkage or disappeared completely. I saw the doctor today and we've decided that I will get a PET scan in two weeks to make sure that the remaining spots showing up on the scans of my lungs truly are cancer and not scar tissue. The PET will also help us see what, if anything, remains of the tumor in my pelvis. I'll meet with the doctor the following Friday, August 29, to discuss options, which could include more chemotherapy or surgery or internal radiation.

I'm feeling great after these six rounds of chemo and I'm happy to have at least six weeks off before further treatment. Greg and I are headed to California next week for a vacation that involves taking the train from LA to San Francisco and, after a few days, another train from SF to Denver. It should be relaxing and fun!

Take care and know that I appreciate your friendship.

Kendra

That's great, Kendra! I know that the PET scan will give you more good news. I'm so glad that you are feeling so much better. Enjoy your vacation. It sounds wonderful!