Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mucus Problem

Hi I ahve a question or rather a problem and I thought maybe someone could help me out. After I get a fill I develope a thick mucus that only flairs up either during my meals or when I drink something. It gets so bad that I have to spit it out and when I do then I regurgatate my food and it comes up too sometimes this is very un comfortable. Is anyone experienceing the same problem and what is the cause of this.

Hi Sharon,

This is what is commonly referred to as sliming on the board. If I understand it correctly (and anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)... your body is creating extra saliva to help the food go down.

I get this when I haven't chewed my food well enough, or if it's one of those foods I just can't eat anymore. If this is happening everytime, it may mean your fill is too tight, or you may just need to switch to liquids for a few days to allow for any swelling to go down.

Hope this helps,

~Lori

It sounds like you're getting stuck and sliming. Is there discomfort associated - a blocked up feeling, perhaps like you swallowed a golf ball?

When you get food stuck or blocked up a bit, your body starts to produce tons of thick, slimy saliva to clear it. It can be difficult to swallow this saliva because swallowing it only increases the blockage and causes more. And its nearly always a precursor to vomiting up the offending item too.

If its just happening immediately after a fill, then dont eat solids. Following a fill have a day on liquids, then mushies, then progress to solids carefully. Personally, I can eat right away, but some people cant and that's why so many doctors recommend this careful progression back to solid foods.

It should lessen once your fill has settled down (it can cause swelling and irritation to your stomach), and you'll avoid the episode and even more sliming if you stick with liquids for a while.

Other than that it can and probably will occur at random times when something gets stuck, happens to nearly all bandsters. Myself, I rarely PB but small sliming episodes occur all the time.

Hi Lori, well I chew my food until it is like liquid and I eat slowly. I just had a fill a few days ago and I always have liquids or mushie foods so I don't get blocked up. I thought this was due to the foods being digested but the boss siad well no its not that because I would have an acid taste in my mouth.

Hi, I don't PB all that much either but I do get the thick mucus almost always and if I get excited well it just goes from bad to worse for some reason. I as a rule of thumb I only have liquids for the first 3 days for that is what Dr. Sims told me to do so I do as he says and I chew and chew and never gulb my food. I was told earlier this week that I am coming to the fork in the road and that I am at my sweet spot. I am not hungry most of the time but we have to eat and I watch what I have. I take my Protein daily and drink the Water and take the suppliments like clock work. My weight loss has been steady and quick. I lose in a two week time frame 12 to 14 pounds. I see the Dr. every 2 weeks and he tells me that I am truly dedicated to this and he knows that I exercise and walk daily. I am close to losing my 100 pounds now and very happy.