Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie and everything tastes awful!!

I was banded this past monday. I am finding it impossible to eat everthing I am supposed to according to my MD's office. They said it was OK, for now, just to make sure I drink plenty of Water. Well, I can't drink the water either. Everthing tastes TERRIBLE. I bought flavored water (not carbonated), nice bottle water. Hate them. The Protein Shakes I force myself to have one a day (MD wants 3). I wonder if anyone had a similar experience, if it passed. I'm worried I could be doing damage by not taking enough Protein in??? All I ate today was a NF yogurt and an egg drop Soup for dinner. And some water. I'm not hungry, but I think this is not right.

Anyone with this problem, please help me!!

Thank you!

Mayra

S/f Jello and popcicles are a good source for fluids too. Helps fill that void time when everything tastes terrible. I also sucked on s/f hard candy, only problem is they give me gas. To be honest, I try not to think about the liquid phase, because that was a difficult time, but it will be over before you know it. I used alot of Campbell Hand Soups, but I poured it through a strainer so I wouldn't eat the goodies in the bottom. You'll have to check with your doctor, but mine said I could have anything that would go through a straw...did you know gravy watered down will go through a straw.

Mayra: Just a question here but what is the specific taste in your mouth. Is it metallic? Is it too sweet? Is it too sour? Can you put a name to it? Hate all the questions but it can help pinpoint what is going on. I never personally had a taste issue but that isn't to say it can't happen.

Take it easy and heal. You should try to get in more Protein but at least get in Water or some form of liquids so you don't dehydrate. Have you tried hot tea? Even warm Jello that hasn't set up yet would be good.

Never fear the mushie stage is coming.

Penni - the taste is sweet, but not pleasant. I am diabetic, so I've had the sweet taste before, but this is very, very nasty.

I was banded Monday also. I am just essentially taking in fluids from when I get up till I go to bed. I bought myself several of the really neat flavors of Decaf herbal teas from a coffee shop here. I have one to two of those when I get up in the morning for something warm and soothing to my pouch (and any accumulated mucous). Then I have a Protein shake...I personally like the EAS low carb ones the best. You may not like coffee, but the cappucino, mocha latte and caffe caramel are my favorites esp in the am. Later in the day I may have choc, strawberry or vanilla. Then I start my Water. Throughout the day I alternate Protein Shakes, juices and nectar, sugarfree Jello, soups/broths, liquide yogurt and smoothies and frozen juice bars and sugarfree popsicles.

Thur, I went to a local specialty store that offers 3 Soups of the day and makes smoothies. I splurged and bought one of each soups and smoothies. Brought the smoothies home and put in the freezer and am taking them out and having some as desired. I pureed all 3 soups and split each into two and have 6 bowls ready in fridge to heat up. I also found some other soups in can to puree...just looking for highest protein. My doctor sent me with a carepack with one of the Campbell's soups to go in it. The cream of chicken, cream of mushroom and chicken and stars are very good. The stars are so tiny in this particular version my doctor's asst said they were fine. If i've gotten a smigen of chicken in a bite of the creamy chicken soup...I've just removed it from my mouth or teethed it to death!!

I'll be honest and tell you that the thing that has saved my life is the Magic Bullet. Several people I know that have been banded have it and swear by it so I got one preop. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can get it on the website www.asseenontv.com or at one of their stores. I actually got mine at my local Target. I did not get the one with the blender and juicer. The regular one with the large and small bullet and 4 mugs was fine with me. It is the easiest thing in the kitchen I've ever used and the EASIEST CLEANING of any appliance I have with the exceptional of an oldfashioned manual can opener. Everything goes on top shelf of the dw. The blade part is about 2 in deep so a cinch to clean. The mugs aren't microwave safe, but both bullet containers are. I brought home a wonderful Soup from local deli, dumped it in large bullet, screwed on blade, turned upside downon pulse unit....6 seconds later had fabulous pureed soup, unscrewed blade, put bullet in microwave for 45 seconds...ready. I also went to nutrition store and bought some individual packets of whey 24 Protein Powder. A friend bought me some bags of frozen fruit at sams and some fresh fruit and berries for smoothies. Hint: take bananas cut into 2-3 in pieces, put on wax paper on cookie sheet in freezer not touching, when frozen dump in big freezer bag and take out as needed for smoothie. For smoothie...again using my wonderful bullet...protein powder and either milk, soy milk, juice, nectar, liquid yogurt then add frozen and fresh fruit and blend. Delicious. You can add a spoon of Peanut Butter to a banana one too if you like the flavor mix...I do. My doctor's asst suggested mixing fruit nectar juices in with regular juices for Fiber for your colon...it helps. Hope some of this helps you!!

Caren, I had to laugh out loud, my employees got me a bullet for Christmas and it's been sitting in the corner of my living room since then. My housekeeper fusses every week, telling me to open the box. Well, yesterday, I opened the box and fixed us a smoothie, I'm kicking my butt for not opening the box sooner. OMG it's wonderful, quick clean up, fast smoothie, just dropped a few frozen strawberries, banana, ice, and milk, wahla, smoothie. Yum. I wanted to tell DylansMom, Kelly, because she wanted one of those too. I think it's well worth the investment, especially if you have children, that's a plus.

Let me know if you get any good recipe ideas, the book in mine was pretty thin.

Oh yes, I couldn't get chili to go down yesterday, so I put it through the bullet for about 5 sec and you're right, purreeeeed, just like Soup.< /p>

Yesterday I saw the "Bullet" at my local Walgreens. I think it was the one with the mugs. The price was 59.99. I want one. I figure it will pay for itself this summer making iced coffee drinks.< /p>

If you have an Eckard Drug Store nearby they sometimes have it on sale for $49.99. Also at Walgreens and Eckard they have those little books with coupons in them, you know the ones where you have to look for the sale. There's a flyer in the box where you can order a pitcher for $39.99. Remember to let me know if you come up with any neat ideas. Enjoy!

Right after I was banded I had that taste in my mouth too. I thought it was from all the artificial sweetners I was eating- in the Clear Liquids everything is "fruit" flavored. It really got to me. But, after I've been banded for awhile- I have realized that the taste, for me anyway, is Ketosis- or the burning of fat into energy. I have no idea what the scientific explination is- but I guess there are different amino acids or something like that that get released in Ketosis and it can make you have a weird taste in your mouth. Try to think of it as proof that you're losing weight...that's what I did and it helped.

Good luck!

Megan

Well I'm glad you finally tried it!! I'm using the heck out of mine. Chinese Restaurant run by a friend today and the asian pureed Soups were great!

I, too, was banded last Monday. Are you allowed to have SF pudding? Last night I made some Jello sugar free pudding with skim milk....Pistachio flavored. HEAVEN! Oh my gosh, I savored every spoonful. Also, I make my Protein drinks with skim milk instead of Water and it tastes sooooooo much better. (And just gives you more Protein and Calcium.)

I also love tomatoe Soup mixed with skim milk instead of Water. Yummy to me!

In the moring I drink hot tea.....French vanilla flavored black tea with a splenda.......and it's splendid.

Hope you find something you like....this too will pass!

Nicole

Nicole: It sounds like you are doing really good. Keep it up.

Mayra: Have your tastebuds settled down any? I sure hope so.

Thanks Penni, somewhat. I tried the Atkins shakes and they seem much better than the ones I got at the health food store. I'm also doing Carnation Instant Breakfast. Maybe not as much Protein, but tastier. Last night's egg dropsoup was wonderful!

In the meantime to caution everyone I made a real mistake. Because everything was so "bad tasting" including Water, I was not drinking anywhere near as much as I needed to. I found myself not feeling well, tired, etc. when I woke up Monday morning I realized I had not gone to the bathroom ALL DAY SUNDAY, and my tongue and throat were parched. I called my surgeon's office who told me to get to the emergency room. They found me to be dehydrating and put me on IV. I now feel much better, and although things still don't taste as they should I am FORCING myself to drink. (I was never a big drinker pre-band).

I am told this early period is difficult for everyone, and in another week I will be moving to mushies (looking forward to that tuna, yum!).

So everyone, be careful, and drink that water!!!

Mayra