Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need your opinions....get in here! :)

O.K., here's the deal. Was banded one week ago. No gas pain, no pain at all, healing great, no meds, a walk in the park compared to my c-section.

I went to the doc for a follow-up visit on Monday (2 days ago). I told my doctor that I had been doing my liquids etc. and that I was starving. He went on to explain (which I already knew) about how until I have a fill I am not going to be restricted and will be hungry. He told me I could "upgrade" to puree/mushies. Well, I have taken that to the limit.

This morning at 9A after dropping my son off at school I was STARVING and went to Taco Bell and ate refried Beans. The portion was not like when I was a teenager and it was a full 1/2 to 3/4 cup. This was more like 1/4 cup. Well 1/2 hour later I had a carton of 2% milk. 1/2 hour later I was still hungry and went back and had ANOTHER refried beans!

Then, you won't believe this (I feel like i'm at the confessional) at 1:30 p.m. I went to McDonalds and ordered the new double filet of fish sandwich without the bun. Well, like with the Beans, I took very small bites, chewed about 1,00 times and loved everything second of it. I took about 25 minutes to eat it. After about 45 minutes I had 2 bottles of Water.

But don't stop there. At 6:45 tonight I was again STARVING and my son and I were running errands and stopped at Applebees. Let the party begin. I ordered this new "chopped" beef steak that came with two sides. macaroni and cheese and garlic mashed potatoes were my two choices. I ate 1/2 the chopped steak, the mac/cheese which was about 1/2 c. and I was done.

O.k. so here's my questions and thoughts. I know this period is referred to as "bandster hell" because we are hungry and not restricted yet. If I am still following the "band rules" i.e. small bites, chewing thoroughly and stopping when I am satisfied, am I going to stretch or "dilate" my pouch? I obviously don't want to undo anything but am o.k. eating like this until I get my fill.

What do you guys think?

Marie

Oh my.....

I was banded on Feb 10, and I can sympathize with the bandster hell stage, but to be honest it is all worth it. I am down 11 pounds or so to date and feel great.

As for your eating, it is NOT ok. Your stomach had surgery and needs to heal, and the swelling needs to go down. You may have band slippage or damage your pouch, and to be honest you will be so discouraged when you go for your first weigh in and the scale is not moving.

If you feel you must eat, eat foods that are better for you and easily tolerated, and stay away from fast food at all costs!!!! Not only are they so full of chemicals that a person who eats them this regularily should glow green in the dark, that are high in fats, sugars and salts that only make your hunger WORSE and fuel food cravings. I actually feel better now that I am not eating all that "white stuff".

If you want to try and fill up, try oatmeal (not the packaged stuff as all processed foods should be avoided). Cold cucumber Soup made with fat free yogurt helps, as well as Jello as a snack. It takes a bit more time to prepare than to order, but remember, if you are good to your body, it will be good to you.

YOU WILL FEEL HUNGRY!!! but as your blood sugars level out and you get used to your liquid diet you will feel better. You went through all this and endured a surgery, it would really be a shame to not follow your doctors instructions as this is the most important part of being banded.

Good Luck

The important thing about the liquid then purees then soft food stages....is to let your stomach rest and heal, without churning like it does to process real food. Even if you chew a billionteen times, it's not the same. I went through this same things, and had a few moments where I went, "But if I chew it really really really well?" But no. The sutures in your stomach need to completely heal, and the band needs to settle into its "groove" in your stomach, BEFORE it starts grinding and churning to process food. Otherwise you set yourself up for possible slips later down the road.

Follow the diet as your doctor ordered it...it IS hard. But it's what we signed up for, and it's there for a reason. And don't worry about losing weight at this point...drink as many Protein shakes as you need to, or eat as much pureed whatever as you need, to try to keep the hunger away. This is the time for your stomach to heal. Be kind to yourself, you just had surgery and your stomach needs this rest. You can do it! Good luck!

I saw my doctor today and was allowed to start mushies (day 17).

I was told to have six half cup size meals and Snacks a day, so I'm eating every 3 hours or so. This is meant to stabilise my blood sugar. They also gave me a diet plan with recommendations of what to eat. Did your doctor give you a plan like that?

I think you need to eat every couple of hours but just the half cup serves. Don't let yourself get starving hungry.

Its not forever so try and stick with it.

Good luck.

Wooooo...hold on...be very careful. The things that you are eating are not only BAD for you nutritionally, but not good for the surgery that you just went through. I think that you are having a hard time with "head hunger" right now. You have in your head that you just had surgery and can't eat certain foods and can't or shouldn't eat a lot, so you feel a need to eat what you want when you want. You really should be sticking to what your doctor says. Following my surgery, I was so afraid of hurting my pouch and messing things up, I wouldn't dare put anything in my mouth that I wasn't suppose to. You have made up your mind that you are ready to begin this journey with the band...try your very best to stick with the rules so it will work for you. I wish you very good luck with everything.

When I had my surgery they put SOOOOO much stress on following those guidelines for the first month. I was paranoid because all they talked about was ripping out your inside stitches. There are supposedly only 2 little stitches holding your band in place. They have got to heal. Putting all thet weight and pressure could easily tear them and you won't even know for a very long time until the band starts traveling down your stomach and you have to have major surgery to correct it and may llose part of your stomach. Follow the rules! It' s only a few weeks out of your life. Did you really expect this all to be simple?

Wow!! Be really careful! I am only 2 days post op and I feel your pain about being hungry. Like everyone else, give your new tummy time to heal. You don't want a slip and have to go back to surgery. Are you sure this isn't just mind hunger?? Hang in there, today is a new day and try to keep busy. Does anyone read Ralph Marston's inspirational quotes? It helps me. Try it!!:)

You know, this period of time pre-op and post-op is so short in comparison to the rest of our lives. Surely you can adhere to the rules for the amount of time we're talking about? :)

There is a reason the surgeon / Bariatric Center puts limitations on what we can have and everyone has already spelled it out for you: to allow time for your band to heal in place. Now I have to warn you that even when the stitches seem healed, there is still a ton of healing going on INSIDE you--so you have to be careful for six to eight weeks...

This surgery is serious, so buckle down--it won't be long until you can have solids again. :)

If you don't have pain when you are swallowing then the odds are that you have finished the healing process. HOWEVER!!...instead of processed foods, try making yourself some mashed potatoes. Use skim milk and a small amount of butter, salt and pepper. One cup of mashed potatoes should make you feel quite full. BUT...also remember that there is not Fluid in your band, therefore there is no restriction. You can't expect to feel like you have just eaten a 4 course meal after one cup of food. I can tell you that once you start your fill schedule it will take less and less food to make you feel full (I am now at 9ccs in a 10cc band). When I was at 8.5, I went out for dinner and had a small salad three forkfuls of mashed potatoes and a third of an 8 oz. filet mignon and I felt like I had eaten the whole cow!! Take your time, choose food wisely. Still go to Applebys, but have chicken breast with steamed veggies and a salad. If you are going to get off the post op diet bandwagon, at least don't roll underneath it at the same time. It's a difficult stage, but it will get easier. Don't beat yourself up about making unwise food choices, just do better the next time!! It's really hard being a food addict. :)

you guys are absolutely right. I guess I got carried away....ya think?

For some reason, on my mushies list it does say fish and ground beef! So, I guess I went kinda wild. And, I can't believe I went to McDonalds. And I always forget about the stitches INSIDE. That said, I really am an intelligent woman!! One wouldn't know that by my behavior I guess.

Thank God for this board. I really needed to hear your responses. I think the one things for sure I need to do is not get so hungry in the first place, make better food choices and keep my heard on straight.

I hope to God that I haven't done any damage. Is there anyway to tell?

Marieze

I'm sure you are fine. If you had torn a stich you would be in pain. There is no pouch yet for you to stretch. You don't really have a "pouch" until you have restriction. The best thing to do is BE HONEST. Let your doctor know that you slipped up, and see what he suggests. Does your clinic have a nutritional counsellor? If so, consult them and ask for tips on how to make better choices. If not, I can give you some suggestions from my nutritional cousellor. :tongue2:

Keep in mind that post op is all about healing, NOT weight loss. That is what is stressed at the clinic I went to. Don't get discouraged if you aren't losing weight during the healing phase. That will all change after the first fill.

I've actually lost 13 pounds since last Wednesday. It's just that when I woke up yesterday I woke up STARVING and every 4-6 hours was STARVING again. I'm waiting until 8:30 a.m. her in Oregon to call the office to see if they can look at my incision that's not doing too well and talk about the food thing as well. I'll keep you guys posted.

Marie

BTW~Someone said, "Be honest" and I had to laugh. I know you don't know me, but to even write down and tell you guys what I ate yesterday was incredibly honest and putting it out there for me!!! :tongue2:

I know it's hard, I vaguely remember when my swelling wore off (about 2 weeks post op). You really need to stick to mushies for the healing, the mac & cheese and beef is not on that list!!

When you feel 'OMG I'M HUNGRY', drink a lot. Drink enough Water to make you feel sloshy and nauseated. Then you won't want to eat. I do that even to this day, if I drink a lot of water I feel nauseated.

Try talking to yourself too, a new trick I've picked up on. Say it out loud.. "I do NOT need XXX" "I will NOT eat this fried food". etc.

It's all easier said than done, but right now is when you need to self-discipline the most. You want your band to heal right so you don't risk losing it.

If you are hungry...EAT!

Just be mindful that you are healing. Your innards have been tinkered with.

I was on regular food by weeks end. Just eat a tad...if it's okay, eat more. But when eating something new, be careful.

Good luck.