Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5mo post-op, Pain @ port & band!!

ok, i was banded 9-14-07, so i am 5months post op and close to 50 lbs weight loss.

however, here over the past few days, i have woke up in the mornings with soreness and pain in my stomach, instinctively i try to touch the sore/painful area and its my port and what i believe to be, my band.

i think i can actually FEEL my band from the outside of my stomach....couldn't do this in the past, maybe its bc i've lost weight now? who knows....

BUT...why on earth would i be sore and tender on the inside around my port and band?

i sleep on my back and side (mostly), but sometimes on my stomach, but this has never been an issue in the past....i'm wondering if there is an underlying problem that i should address with my doctor or if this is something that others have gone through and consider normal.

ANY input would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! i'm trying to decide whether or not i should give it more time and sleep in different positions to see if that will remedy the problem....but i'm also scared that, could it be my port has flipped??? or is my band erroding???

i'm at 6cc in a 10cc band.

xoxo, christie

ok, i was banded 9-14-07, so i am 5months post op and close to 50 lbs weight loss.

however, here over the past few days, i have woke up in the mornings with soreness and pain in my stomach, instinctively i try to touch the sore/painful area and its my port and what i believe to be, my band.

i think i can actually FEEL my band from the outside of my stomach....couldn't do this in the past, maybe its bc i've lost weight now? who knows....

BUT...why on earth would i be sore and tender on the inside around my port and band?

i sleep on my back and side (mostly), but sometimes on my stomach, but this has never been an issue in the past....i'm wondering if there is an underlying problem that i should address with my doctor or if this is something that others have gone through and consider normal.

ANY input would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! i'm trying to decide whether or not i should give it more time and sleep in different positions to see if that will remedy the problem....but i'm also scared that, could it be my port has flipped??? or is my band erroding???

i'm at 6cc in a 10cc band.

xoxo, christie

First of all it cant be your band if your actually feeling it by touch , if that is what i understand your saying. The band is so far inside your body you will NEVER feel it. It is around your Espophgus . You simply CAN NOT Feel it.

NOW you MAY be feeling your port, after 50lbs weight loss, I could start to feel my port and it did become sore on occasions , it did hurt, espically after waking up .

I tend to sleep on my side though .

I can feel my port when i walk, i feel a "tugging' or a tightness in that area, its just because there is not as much "Mass" around it anymore.

BUT When in doubt call your doc to have him check everything out to make sure things are ok .

HTH

mindy

I have been able to see and feel my port clearly since my surgery 6 months and 70lbs ago. I do not have a lot of abdominal fat (mine is elsewhere!). I recently have had a pain and thought I could feel the tubing/etc. and at my last checkup with the doctor he found a hernia. Not saying that this is your problem too but maybe something to consider/ask about. It seems that the only way to fix a hernia is with surgery - I am bummed about that.

If you never had pain and suddenly have it, call your MD. A simple exam and/or x-ray will answer the question and ease your fears. If something is wrong, it's best to catch it early.

Good point. That is what i meant to say I just did not say it very well LOL

Mindy

Thanks for all the comments and great advise.....but, now the pain is gone....

so, i'm thinking that if it comes back, i'll make an appt w/the dr...but maybe i just pulled something or over did one of my workouts??? i guess its possible.

OH! and whenever you said you thought you could feel the Tubing....now i think that perhaps thats the feeling that i only THOUGHT was the actual band....anyhow, unless the pain comes back, i'm going to assume it was from working out too hard.

if/when it comes back, i'll make an appt. AGAIN, THANKS YA'LL!

xoxo, Christie

Hey Christie,

I was also banded by Dr. Spivak. He told me a story before I was banded about a patient that had problems but did not come in and ended up having the band removed and spent 3 weeks in the hospital. I'm not sure what type of problem it was but he said if I was ever concerned about anything to call. He said to never try and wait it out. He said if the patient had come in he could have done an unfill and saved the band. However, I agree that if the pain is now gone you probably pulled a muscle or something. Be sure to call his office if it comes back.