Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If we can't take NSAIDS, then what can we take?

Lapband.com - Risk Information

Almost all the way down the page... My doc doesn't recommend NSAIDs, they can be used for short term usages, but not what to reach for every time you need some pain relief. Not a big deal with me because I'm allergic to NSAIDs.

My doc said they are ok short term. I'm taking Celebrex right now for gout but will stop as soon as I can. My understanding is that the main concern is getting it through the stoma quickly so that it doesn't sit in the pouch for long periods. Is that right? Doc (PCP) suggested I break open the Celebrex capsule and sprinkle it on food. I haven't done that yet as the capsule seems to go down fine. I do split most pills before taking them though.... and take them with lots of Water.< /p>

Jim,

My doc says the same about moving them quickly through the stoma. He also has the same caution against antibiotics sitting in the pouch.

WOW...I think saying he's an idiot is rather idiotic on your part. I'm an RN. I totally understand why. Has very little to do with thinning your blood and everything to do with the fact that NSAIDS cause damage to the stomach lining...known as ulcers. The faster they go through the less damage. Being stored in a pouch for awhile would be dangerious. But hey, go ahead, help yourself to all the NSAIDs you want. Just don't tell other people they can safely take them.

The AMAZING amount of NSAIDs that you have to take to develop an ulcer in that short of a period of time is WAY more than a relatively non-invasive surgical recovery.

Yes, everyone is different. Every person can develop it differently. Believe me, having my dad as a doctor, my mom as a head nurse, tons of friends who are nurses, and me being in pre-med for so long makes you learn a thing or two.

Anyway, for something like that to develop, you would have to take upwards of 800mg t.i.d for AT LEAST 6 months on a fairly normal person. Keeping in mind that that is VERY optimistic time-wise.

2400mg/day is the MAXIMUM prescription dosage that you'll ever see and even though that's for SHORT duration uses only, they are more worried about eventual renal issues than GI, depending on the patient. The OTC max dosage is 1800mg/day, so they knock down what they feel is safe for the patient to take without any expected side effects.

If you find someone who wants to take ibuprofen or naprosyn EVERY DAY and higher dosages just for the fun of it, I'm FULLY with you. It will EVENTUALLY start to take everything down, however, for a pretty short recovery or a sore knee once in a while, a little 'profen never hurt nobody. lol.

I hope you don't think I was taking shots at you. I really respect your choice to be an RN and I actually have a lot of friends who either are or are in school to get an BSN, in fact you're probably smarter because you don't have to pay malpractice insurance. lol. This is actually just one of those things that I've been tossing around in my head lately anyway and it JUST happened to come up in a family discussion.

Oh, and this is ignoring my recovery with the 400mg bid stint of advil, by the way. haha.

Thanks Chrisann- I'm out here. Just lurking mostly. Buried in work these days! Looks like you are doing great. Keep it up!

Isn't it amazing how much we frequented this place before and right after surgery and as we have settled into band life its not that often?

On this topic, I took Execedrin for a ripping headache and crushed the pills to powder and mixed them with Propel.