Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foggy head- clouded thougths after surgery?

I was banded 15 days ago and everything seems to be going well, however, I am finding that I am REALLY having a hard time getting back into the groove of things, both at home and at work. I don't think it's a depression but I seem to just have no attention span and just feel "weird" it's something that is hard to explain or put into words. The best way to describe it is I just feel "off"-- not myself.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Your body just went through a major jolt. Surgery for one. Anesthesia, massive reduction in calories, no sugar, no caffeine, large amounts of Water, liquid diet. Your body is in mild shock. Give it some time.

Tina,

Boy do I hear you! I have been looking through the site today to see if anyone else also was not as perky and normal as they were before they were banded. I was banded on the 13 and am still just plain worn out! I am a stay home mom, so there is no demands on me to get up and go to work, but on Monday I started getting up again to fix Breakfast for my son who is a junior in high school. It use to be I was up before him and was doing stuff, but now, I feel bushed and may take a few bites of yogurt and then go back to bed. I feel lethargic and not myself at all! yesterday was my first trip into town to run errands and the pain in my left shoulder was so bad by the time I got home, I was crying on the way. This is not what I had expected at all! My port area is still quite tender, enough that I can not sleep on that side and my jeans really seemed to irriatate it yesterday. Guess I was imagining being up and at 'em a few days after the surgery with minimal pain and lots of energy. BTW, I am 43 and did have bronchitis and the beginnings of pneumonia in November and December, and my husband thinks that I was just so worn out from that, that my body is just taking longer to bounce back from all that has happened to it. I just have always been a very energetic person( who loved to eat!) and this is NOT what I want to feel like! I do know that if you are not getting enough hydration you will feel dizzy, so could that be some of what you are feeling?

Did your doctor tell you no coffee? Mine said I could drink it just fine after surgery.

I had the same problem with fuzzy head after surgery. I think it was due to the anaesthesia. I even drove off the road a couple weeks after surgery--just kind of lost it for a second and bam! I was up over the curb and sitting in the middle of a traffic island. Had a hard time explaining that one to DH. It does go away after a while.

coffee could definitely be your change, if you were a big coffee drinker. I think I was a bit lethargic for a longer period of time, but I took the pain meds after the fact due to pulling muscles.

My doc said no coffee or tea, cause it can dehydrate you. Initially I stuck to it, but I gave up my 6-12 cans of Mt. Dew daily.. and a month or so post-op I started drinking coffee just to get a caffein boost.. and I drink tea regularly now. I think it affects everyone different, but that stuff doesn't bother me.