Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can someone explain band sizes to me?

I keep reading here about how someone has X size band and Y amount of fill. Can someone explain the different band sizes to me and why one size is used over another. And if there are any advanatages to certain band sizes. Thanks.

I don't know about all the bands available but mine is Allergan/Inamed and it comes in two sizes 10cc and 14cc. The surgeon decides which size to place based on your anatomy/stomach.

I know there is a Johnson and Johnson band and I think ( but not sure) it holds 9cc's.

There are two different measurements - band circumference (how long your band is) which doesn't really make much differenc because it is cinched tight - they might use a bigger (longer) band if you have a really thick stomach or something. The point is it has to fit around your stomach and everyone has a different thickness of stomach.I have the AP small band, because it could fit around my stomach. If it hadn't, the doctor would have used the large one and I wouldn't have known the difference. The other size is the inside- how much liquid it can hold. Some are 4ccs, some 10, some 14...again, statistics show it really doesn't make much difference because the point is to fill the inner part of the band (I'm sure there is a technical name for it but it escapes me) so the patient gets the right restriction which varies from person to person. So, ten people with a 4cc band might all need different fill amounts to get good restriction and the same with a 10cc band etc. No matter what band you have, you need enough fills to get you to your sweet spot so you can't compare with people who have different size bands OR with people with the same size band as you! I hope this post makes sense! I tried!

I have heard alot about the different sized bands too. I just haven't had a chance to talk to the surgeon yet to see if they knew what they were using and what the difference was.

It seems to me like most people have a 10cc band. I have a 4cc band and am filled to 2.4 which is a bit too much of a fill for me.

The brand name of Lap Bands use in the United States use to be called BioEnterics bands. The company sold out and now they are known as Inamed and/or Allergan brand bands.

The size of your band (it's length) is measured in

centimeters (cm)

The fill capacity of your band is measured in milliliters (ml or the more commonly used abbreviation cc). The manufacturer's recommended fill capacity is NOT always followed by all doctors!

There are 5 sizes of Inamed and /or Allergan bands. Three are the "older style" and two are the newer style bands. Each has a different length and fill capacity.

The

Older Style (Allergan has no current plans to discontinue these bands)

length / capacity

1. 9.75cm/4cc

2. 10cm/4cc

3. 14cm/10cc (can be pushed to 11 cc) (this is called the Vanguard or VG band)

Newer Style (next generation) Bands:

(I am unsure of the length on these)

4. APS (the "s" is for small) holds 10cc

5. APL (the "l" is for large) holds 14cc

• The newer style bands are considered less likely to cause blockage, obstruction, erosion or slippage than other AGP types. The bands are curved, and are made of a new softer silicone material.
  • Like the VG (Vanguard) band, the new bands are "Omniform" technology - i.e. the balloon has ribs or baffles , and is pleated to grip the stomach better.
  • The new AP bands have more of a 360 (concentric, rounded) inflation around the stomach as opposed to the older 9.75cm and 10cm(4cc) bands, which have more like 260 or 280 degrees inflation (the rest being the buckle), and the VG band which has more like 280 or 300. It is understood that this was simply an upgrade to the existing band to make it easier and less traumatic to remove.
  • The balloon on the new band goes all the way around the inner surface of the band, rather than missing a piece at the locking mechanism. The locking mechanism is isolated from the stomach.
  • The balloon is wider on the new band. A side view shows the balloon protruding top & bottom rather than sitting flush.
  • The new bands have an easier release mechanism to remove the band if need be.

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing!