Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's happening to me???

I went out of town this past weekend. while I didn't eat a lot, I did eat some foods I haven't eaten in three months. (Chinese) On both Friday and Saturday night my feet puffed up HUGE. :eek:It was gross. Sunday, my feet never went down at all. I gained 4 pounds. Today, my swelling is gone and I'm back down to my normal weight but my face and my face only is puffy, red, swollen and I have hives all around my eyes. I itch like CRAZY!!! Can you develop an allergy to food just because you haven't eaten it in a while? do you think this is even band related? I'm also FREEZING but have no fever. I haven't had the really cold sensation since my early stages and post op days. Also.... I have been chronically constipated since being banded. I fight that daily. Since I ate the chinese, my bowels are moving normally....It's heaven. what the heck is going on????:thumbup:

Wow *hug* that sucks. I hope you are feeling better soon. Sounds like an allergic reaction with the swelling. If you had chinese is it possible that you are having an adverse reaction to possibly MSG? Do you know if the place you went to uses MSG?

Hope you're feeling better soon that doesn't sound like much fun at all!

Whether you ate it recently or not, food allergies can occur at any point in your life for no reason. They can go away just as quickly. Since MSG is something people are allergic to and you ate chinese, I would guess that's the problem?

DH wasn't allergic to seafood until he was about 6.. and now every once in a while I sneak something seafood into his food to test it (I got an epipen, don't think I'm tryin to kill him).. and he's never reacted. So I think he's over it.

You could get an allergy test, some insurances pay for it (mine pays 80%) just to get an idea of any new possible allergies.

And my best friend who never had food allergies, has been bloated for over a year, they said she's retaining Water weight like crazy.. they did a test and she's allergic to almost EVERYTHING food wise now.. except Western Shrimp. But it's something new as of the past couple of years and she's 31.

The typical reaction to MSG is headache. You sound like you ate something you weren't allergic to before but are now. The puffiness and the loose bowels make me think so. Shell fish is a big culprit as are nuts.

Good luck figuring it out.

Sorry, ugh.

The typical reaction to MSG is headache. You sound like you ate something you weren't allergic to before but are now. The puffiness and the loose bowels make me think so. Shell fish is a big culprit as are nuts.

Good luck figuring it out.

Sorry, ugh.

Perhaps it varies by person? My grandmother had a TERRIBLE reaction to MSG (From a chinese food place that said they didn't use it then ended up having to fess up later that they lied). She got very very sick, diarhea (sp), fever/shakes and actually blacked out at one point and they had to call the Ambulance.

Regardless you definitely should look into an allergy test.

Yep, I agree with the others, sounds like an allergy.

You can develop allergies at any age even to food you have eaten for years. I ate kiwi fruit for 32 years then had an allergic reaction to it that landed me in hospital.

You should see your doctor about getting some allergy tests so you know what it is, because if the next reaction may be worse. At least if you what it is you can avoid it.

Thanks to all of you. The swelling is down on my face, but the itching is still there. I still have redness under the eyes. Why the eyes????? The bowels are still doing great! I can't complain there. Gosh, it's been 4 days already. I guess I will call the doc and have him check me for allergies. Do you think benedryl will help with the itching if it's food related? I've only ever used it for poison ivy, chicken pox and stuff.

Ask the pharmacist in the local drugstore about the Benedryl if you can't get your Doctor. Benedryl has always worked for me in these situations.

I carry benadryl around as a back up for DH in case he has a reaction.

I take it personally when my eyes are itchy from (i assume) my cats. It works wonders for me.

I also met someone at a sushi bar once, who took 2 benadryl before eating lobster at the sushi place. She said she's deathly allergic, but loves it lol. She didn't show any signs of a reaction while we were there.

The swelling in the feet can be from Water retention. This happens to meet when I eat something with a lot of salt (i.e., Chinese food). The rest sounds like an allergy. Benedryll will definitely help. As for the Constipation, its fairly normal after the surgery because your Fluid consumption is cut so dramatically. Try drinking more water and eat a piece of fruit 4 times a day. You can also add fibre supplements to your drinks for and extra bit of help. :)