Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carb Cleanse???

I was on vacation last week, and my SIL mom and dad were there. They have been doing high Protein, and very low calorie.

They said when they get home they will be eating as much Protein and green veggies as they want for 4 days. Nothing else. Also, nothing to drink except for Water. They said that this will cleanse them from all the carbs that they had been eating.

Is this true? Anyone try this? Sounds good in theory, but just wondering if this would be ok? I gained 4 pounds while away :(. I need to get back on track!

Thanks

Well, not sure. If they are going on the Atkins Induction phase of the Atkins Diet.... sure, it will eliminate sugars from the body AND cause weightloss.

But be mindful of the fact that it's only temporary. Just as soon as you put some sugar in your body you'd be back where you are now.

The body processes the sugar...doesn't hang on to it like what was suggested. It's expelled, burned, or converted in the body...but doesn't remain as sugar.

It's very helpful to detox your body from carbs. It keeps your blood sugars from bouncing up and down and making you think you are hungry when in reality you are just having sugar spikes and drops. After 4-5 days the cravings for sweets/carbs is much less than it normally is and you don't feel deprived when you pass them up. That's pretty much the way I've lived for 2 years now and very seldom feel hungry or deprived. I would never have believed it in a million years because I pretty much lived on carbs pre-wls. Now head hunger or emotional hunger is another thing, but detoxing does help you a lot to control your wanting to eat the evil cabs (mostly white stuff.). Give it a try!

Yes it does work. My doctor put me on the phase one of south beach diet for my pre-op which is basically like the Atkins diet.. no breads, pastas, low sugar, etc... I've been eating chicken, salads, green Beans, string cheese, pistachios, stuff like that and I've lost 6 pounds since saturday. But, I use to eat A LOT of carbs and I mean A LOT.

I was hearing a lot about different "cleanses" and was eager to try one to get off this plateau. A coworker gave me the BEST advice, which I followed so I am passing it on;

He said "go to a Doctor of Naturopathy. they have at least 7 years of training (this is true here in Ontario Canada), they will suggest the right cleanse for you after taking a thorough medical history, and tests such as hair follicle, urine, blood"

Well the cleanse that was right for me is a 21 day cleanse, I am on day 6. I have eliminated dairy, eggs, caffeine, sugar (and aspartame), gluten, corn, tomatoes, soy, shellfish, beef, pork, chicken.

I was told to expect to feel tired (hasnt happened yet) and perhaps to have foul smelling BO (toxins leaving through pores)

I will be sure to post after the 21 days, and tell y'all if it was worth it.

Speaking of toxins leaving through the pores, I have been in and out of ketosis from just what you described: eating Protein and no carbs. The body seems to replace the glucose with ketones--I totally read up on it two weeks ago when I was last in it.

Beware of bad breath and stinky urine also--side effect. The advise I got from other banders worked--I just added a few carbs back into my diet... ;)