Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HI,

I am new to this whole Lap Band thing. I have my consultation set for March 12th and probably surgery soon to follow. I'm really trying to do my homework on the Lap Band procedure, expectations, diet, ect. I'm finding that I'm very excited and yet very scared. :unsure: Some days I think of how much better I will feel and how many more things I will be able to do with my kids/family, then there are other days when I think oh my gosh, no more bread, possibly no more red meat, ect ect... Is this normal??? Any and all suggestions, advice or experiences would be more than appreciated!

Hi Carroll, welcome to LBT! You have definitely come to the right place for research, advice and support.

Every person is different on what they are or are not able to eat after they are banded. I have no problem with any type of meat so long as it is a good cut and not tough. I cannot eat doughy bread, but I can eat crusty breads, such as garlic bread as long as I am not too restricted.

I was worried about all the things I thought I might have to give up pre-banding as well. I guess you just have to weigh out what is most important to you. For me, having a longer life with my husband and children was far more important than giving up a few foods.

Hello. I was banded 2 weeks ago so I'm new too.

I went through all sorts of mental backflips over having this operation and I think you'll find most people do.

I also spent the first week feeling pretty sick and crying most of the time.

I gather this is pretty common too. 2 weeks out though I feel pretty good and I've lost some weight so I'm happy.

Whenever I had doubts about the band I would think of my mum- 80 years old, but no quality of life. She is about 150kgs, no mobility, metabolic syndrome, excruciating pain all the time and probably needing a nursing home soon.

I have no doubts when I look at my dear Mum.

Thanks so much for your replies. You dont know how much I appreciate it!:)

I have only talked to my immediate family and a couple of super close friends about my wanting lap band procedure and about my appointment. I have found that most are very supportive but a couple of people (one of my best friends and my sister) are pretty discouraging. They dont think I "need" the surgery or that I can do it on my own.... been there, tried that!

I have my own fears, of course, but I really dont need to hear their negativity. I know they love me and aren't trying to upset me but I find myself being sorta defensive toward them... Any suggestions??

All I know is that my consultation cant come quick enough for me!! I'm ready to get started YESTERDAY!! I hope I really know what I'm in for! LOL!

Thanks so much!:grouphug:

I went back and forth about the surgery as well due to outside pressures. I finally decided that I have spent much of my 34 years of living trying to please others and I needed to do something for me...which was okay. I also found out that some people do not want you to change because of how it may affect them. But, you have to do what's best for you. If everyone could do it on their own, no one would have a weight problem. It's more than diet and exercise. People who have never had a weight problem often do not understand this. So, I encourage you to take care of you. Another thing, you will hear this over and over...the BAND is only a TOOL. It is NOT the easy way out. Just as easily as I drink my Protein Drinks, I could just as easily drink a milkshake...you know what I mean???...so, don't let anyone deter you if this is what you have determined is best for you.

HI,

I am new to this whole Lap Band thing. I have my consultation set for March 12th and probably surgery soon to follow. I'm really trying to do my homework on the Lap Band procedure, expectations, diet, ect. I'm finding that I'm very excited and yet very scared. :) Some days I think of how much better I will feel and how many more things I will be able to do with my kids/family, then there are other days when I think oh my gosh, no more bread, possibly no more red meat, ect ect... Is this normal??? Any and all suggestions, advice or experiences would be more than appreciated!

I too flip flop between scared and excited. I have done enough research to know that I want to do this but sometimes I feel a lot of fear. I do find that these boards help a lot. There are a lot of helpful people here. Sure there are some things that are negative about it like giving up soda(diet pepsi) forever. And there can be complications. I still feel the good outweighs the bad. Know that you are not alone in your feelings out there. I just got my PCP to refer me to a surgeon. So I have a long ways to go to show my insurance that it is medically necessary. I expect many more fearful moments but over all I am very excited to have made the decision to go through with it. Have you attendeed a seminar yet? If not you should go to one. And when feeling scared just come to this site and start reading. It helps me. Good luck in your journey and may the pre op process be short.

Start/224.8/Goal/120:smile:

Thanks! I agree with you. I just wish they would wish me well and tell me they are proud of me for wanting to do something to improve my health. Maybe they will feel more comfortable when they see I can have this surgery and still be ok. I know they are just worried about me. My in laws knew of a gal years ago who had gastric bypass surgery, lost a lot of weight and totally changed (for the worse) Her and her husband ended up divorced, ect. ect. They are very old school and are worried this will happen to my husband (their son) and I ... I think thats just insane! I know weight loss changes you but I cant imagine my life without him. I think they are worrying about silly stuff. My husband and I have a wonderful marriage and he is very supportive of me and just wants me to feel better about myself. He's seen my weight bother me for years altho he always tells me I'm beautiful. I cant see any weight loss changing how I feel about him...

Why cant people just think of my feelings and my health... I truely think some people are just afraid of change! I'm ready for it myself!

I'm nervous, of course because its the unknown. I've even been on youtube watching videos of people who didn't like their lapband but noticed that the same doctor posted all of the negative videos and he removes the lapband and gives them mini bypass surgery (kinda beneficial for him i'd say)

I dont feel I'm going into this uninformed or uneducated. I'm learning alot on this website too!:)

I say go for it!!! I did the surgery on Feb 11 and I feel great..the surgery really isn't that bad..I was actually up doing house work 2 days after and I have an eight month old at home!!! I am back to work a week after surgery! I am spreading the word about the gas....TELL YOUR SURGEON AND ANESTHESOLOGIST TO REMOVE ALL OF THE CO2!!!! They CAN do that..they did it for me and I had NO gas pains!!!! The lap band is MUCH safer than the bypass and it works!!! GOOD LUCK!!

I soooooooo very much hope/pray my surgery and recovery goes like yours is! You sound just wonderful!!

Its all so exciting and scarey...I'm going nuts waiting for my March 12 consult!! Could time go any slower?? LOL!!