Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slim Fast and fullness in my chest

Hi everyone,

I was banded last Wednesday. I sipped clear broth for two days and then added Slim Fast on the third day. I am finding that I can drink a whole can of Slim Fast (11 oz) in around 20 minutes. I do this three times a day. I feel pretty good while I am drinking it but shortly after I am done, I experience a heavy feeling in my chest.

It sounds obvious (I am drinking too much...) but I don't feel the pain until after I am done. Is this too much too fast? I DO put the can down in between sips and I try to take smaller sips (sometimes I slip up and take "normal" size swallows, but I try to keep half of it in my mouth for a bit to allow the other half time to get down).

The horror in my mind is that maybe I am already stretching my pouch? But it is liquid, so it is pretty much going straight into the big pouch, right?

I drink a slim fast every morning for Breakfast. I am usually pretty tight in the mornings (especially since my fill last week), and I find that I have pressure in my chest as I am drinking it. It usually takes me longer than 20 minutes to drink it, probably around 30 minutes. I just take really, really small sips and wait a few minutes in between sips. Since Slim Fast is much thicker than regular Clear liquids, maybe you should try slowing down a little more and see if it helps.

I seriously doubt you've stretched your pouch on liquids. I think it's harder to stretch the pouch than most people think. I'm no doctor, but just from reading other posts, I don't think you've stretched it. Try slowing down and see what happens. Hope this helps.

Thank you Georgia girl. I am so greatful for this board and all of the bandsters that take the time to answer these questions for us "newbies". I know most of us aren't doctors, but it sure helps to hear from someone who may have experienced something simular or has a bit of advice to share.

I don't want to be to quick to say, but I think this problem may have something to do with gas. I am grossing my husband out! (and that's no easy feat). I drank another Slim Fast this evening (slower) and still experienced the heavy chest feeling. However, once my body started "talking" :( I felt much better.

LOL...he asked me tonight "What happened to the LADY I married?"

Wantitbad, maybe there is something in the slim fast that just isn't agreeing with you. You might want to try switching to a different shake for a while and see if it does the same thing, then go from there. Hope it gets better for you soon!

LOL...he asked me tonight "What happened to the LADY I married?"

Tell him he can say goodbye to that LADY :)

Luckily, I never lead my husband to believe I was that kinda woman. Now my burping without thinking is just more frequent. :biggrin:

Try drinking half the can, waiting 10 minutes and then drinking the rest. If you still have a problem, there may be an ingredient in there that just doesn't work for you.

Maybe it's a bit thick for you at this point. Try diluting it with a little skim milk and see if that helps. I put it in my coffee every morning. I like it that way, and I get a little extra protien. BUT I do realize some docs don't allow coffee or tea. (I only drink two cups a day) The warm liquid in the morning helps me ease tightness.

I also was going to suggest thinning it out. After surgery I would thin mine out 1 part slimfast to 1 part milk.

After I get my fills, I still thin it out, 1 part slimfast to 1/2 part milk.