Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

G'day fellow Aussies

I suppose I should have posted in the general intro section but I particularly wanted to say hi to my fellow Aussies.

I was banded at the Gold Coast 2 weeks ago. The first week was hideous as I was over filled to start with and got dehydrated and had to go back and have some Fluid out and get rehydrated.

I also had the blues pretty bad and spent the first week crying for no apparant reason and questioning my sanity at having this operation.

My poor husband didn't know what to do with me. But today I'm back at work and feel good except for a little fatigue.

I am a lower BMI bandster (35) having started with a weight of 90kg.

Good news is I have lost 6kg already! I'm happy with that.

I'll do a ticker when I can bribe my teenager to show me how:smile:

Keri

Welcome Keri, I'm from Sydney and was banded on 1 Nov. Not unusual to feel blue in the 1st week or so. Hang in there, it gets better. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi Keri

Welcome and hugs. Sorry to hear of your first week but I am sure you will be back on your feet and feeling more like yourself each day. How are you going on the Clear liquids diet?

I too am on the smaller side but I started with a higher weight than you (98.9) with a BMI of 35. I must be a little taller than you! I have lost 5kgs on opti with a few more days to go before surgery.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the welcome.

Kylie I am a little vertically challenged, just scrape 5"3 if I stretch.

I was lucky and didn't have to do the preop diet so I've only been on opti for 2 weeks. I haven't been particularly hungry but I did dream the other night i was eating a huge burger with the works.

My husband reckons he woke up and I was chewing on his elbow.

Of course he was joking. Er, I hope he was joking!

Hi Keri, I'm from Melbourne. I started with BMI of 36, have had great results. We're so lucky here in Australia that we are able to be banded before we become morbidly obese.

Sorry the first few weeks have been rough - had you had any other surgeries before? I cry at the drop of a hat for about a week after an anaesthetic.

Hi all, my first time here , am enjoying this thread. I had my banding done 6 days ago in Coffs Harbour by a great surgeon who had me on the table for 3 hours struggling i think with all the adhesions from previous stomach stapling in 1979( never worked) but all went well and i am doing great having key hole.

I am heavy gal BMI at 49 so open surgery would of been hell.

Yesterday i walked for 20 minutes, but then had bad pains all night seems to be at port site i think, after getting up and walking around at 2am the pain subsided, thank god.

Has anyone else had this and any ideas if happens again, kinda put me off today doing too much!

:(

:laugh:

Hi jacqui, as a lurker I've read a few of your posts and I hope I can have results as great as yours. I have had gynae and gall bladder surgery without too many problems. Maybe this time I was 'discombooberated' because I had postop dehydration, I had 6ml 'primer' in the band but had to have 4 taken out because i could barely drink.

The crying thing was a bit of a shock. In the manual I got off the surgeon it says 'the first month of banding is very exciting'. Well my hubby read that to me as I sobbed on his shoulder one day (after coming home from hospital the 2nd time) and he says 'Gee love I don't think we can take too much more excitiment do you?' He's relieved thats all stopped!

Hello Janice, I had some adhesions too. You are doing great if you are walking 6 days post op! I have been a wus and only today went for a bit of a stroll....to get a pedicure actually :(

Keri, I didn't realise that the bands sometimes contained Fluid when they went in. I was under the impression that they were left empty until you healed.

As for the blues... I was fine the first week, but half way through week two I have felt a little down. No tears though, just not really my usual cheery self.

Hi Mrs M, I didn't know it either! All the visits to the doctors, the nurse, dietitian etc and no one told me that my surgeon likes to prime the band when he puts it in.

I was told to drink 50ml every half hour when I got home and to increase that after a few days. I just couldn't do it. I struggled to get 50ml in an hour. When i went back to the doctor and he took out 4ml it was such a relief to be able to drink!

I have a swedish band (J&J) BTW.

Now I don't know how much Fluid in the band I'll be able to take if I couldn't handle the initial 6ml. But then again I would have had swelling as well... oh well I guess it will all work itself out.