Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does everyone have a great story?

Hi Everyone,

Could someone please tell me what a "sticky" is?

I went for my first check up yesterday and the news was all good. Everything is healing well (surgery was 11th Feb), I lost 7 kgs and I get my first fill in 2 weeks.

I was thinking to myself that I don't remember reading any really negative experiences in this forum. Not that I want people to have bad experiences, but I was wondering if this was because it doesn't really happen, or that people don't talk about it.

Take care all,

Rachel.

There have unfortunately been several problem stories. One gentleman had his band placed & it wasn't even placed around his stomach (just floating around inside). He has since been re-banded & doing very well. Another gal had & still has, but is healing nicely, a wound that wouldn't close over her port area & the tube stuck out. There also is a recent "thread" about a gal who had a kink in her tube which caused a small leak. she also has been rebanded & doing well.

Just go up to the search button & type in a few key words & the search will bring up these threads. I would try using the words leak, kink, wound. i will also try & "bump" the one about the gentleman's story for you.

So yes- there are "not so happy stories" here but by & by they are few and far between. And most all have already had thier happy endings. If you were to ask these people about their stories & if they would still want their bands I believe they would all give a resounding "YES"... hope this helps

As far as a sticky goes ... a moderator for the board will "sticky" a particular thread so it stay on top of the boards so others can find them more readily. They are the only ones who may sticky something.

Rachel the threads on the horror story have been bumped for you.

Hi Rachel,

Yes, if you look around you will find some negative stories related to banding. But there is no denying that in the worst cases (like the "horror story" that's been bumped for you), the problems are likely related to medical malpractice or medical conditions the patient had beforehand. These are chances everyone takes with all kinds of surgery.

Band complications tend to be minor and fairly easily fixed. And when they can't be fixed the band is removed, which does happen occasionally. But even that doesn't have to be a very negative story. I've heard stories of people having the band removed and doing great without one; having it removed and converted to bypass; having it removed and replaced immediately with a new one; or having it removed and waiting a while before having a new one installed.

So with the band, even when there are complications there are still options open to us. It's a relatively non-invasive, non-complicated surgery and the implant works in pretty predictable ways. So you really aren't going to find lots of scary stories like those you see on bypass sites.

Good luck with your research, and ask lots of questions! :)

There also is a recent "thread" about a gal who had a kink in her tube which caused a small leak. she also has been rebanded & doing well.
Just for clarification....I had the kink that caused a hole in my tube. But I was NOT rebanded. Part of the tubing with the hole was removed and yes I am doing well, Thanks.

I've had band slippage/pouch dilation which required band replacement 15 months after my initial banding, then gallbladder surgery exactly 6 weeks following the replacement and if they told me today I had to replace it again, I would (if my insurance would go for it.) I'd also put in a zipper if that were necessary to re-do it EVERY year. My loss has been pretty slow comparatively, but all in all, I've had a great journey and I'd definitely do it again! Good luck with your research.

Hi. I also wondered the same question. I wondered why did I feel like this was all so wonderful for everyone else but not for me. I had my band put in on 2/16 and I hate it. Not to discourage you, but I feel regret. This is so hard for me. I never imagined it would be this difficult. On day 3 after surgery, I had a yeast infection in my MOUTH! I didn't even now that was possible. I was told it is from the antibiotics. Then I had a mild infection in two of my incisions. That is all okay now. But it has been difficult for me because I can't hold my 15 month old as much as I use to because my stomach is still sore. And I know I could take pain medicine still but I nurse my son still and I can't keep taking the meds. I also believe I was not emotionaly ready for this yet. When I met for a pre op phycolagist appointment, she did tell me that my stress and anxiety were considerably high and that I would need counceling after surgery. My thought on that now is...Why the heck did you let me go through with this without counceling before hand?! SO that's my feelings. I want the band out personally. I am 5'2" and 223. I think for some reason I gave up trying and thought to myself-why not try the lap band? There are a lot of people I know who did it and only told me the possitive stories. Now that I had it done, they are like "Oh yeah, I should have told you...." So I am pretty upset.

Oh, Norma, it sounds like indeed a longer exploratory period might have helped you a great deal. This IS a big step and we have to be really ready to take it before we do.

You will heal, and you will feel better physically very soon. It's only been a couple of weeks and a LOT of people go through a period of questioning right after surgery. Please be very good to yourself and most of all don't agonize over watching calories or anything like that now. The scale is NOT going to be your friend at this point. This time, as I'm sure you've heard, is all about healing. When you're ready to take that next step will be time enough for a fill and to get your weight loss started.

Take care of yourself, take care of your child and know that your band will be waiting when you're ready to jump in. And please post with your questions and feelings--it's very valuable for all of us to see all sides of the banding story.

Hugs,

Thanks. I do appreciate encouragement. I have lost about 13 pounds since the lap band was put in. I understand It will work, but I just feel that I may not be able to handle eating only 2 to 4 ounces of food three times a day. I am on mushy food right now, and I just had 3oz of oatmeal at 8:30am and now it is 10:25am and I am so hungry. My stomach is grawling so bad and feels so empty. So I just keep drinking Water till it's time to have lunch. I am eating very slow and chewing my food very very well. SO what do I do now?

Norma((hugs)))

I am not banded as of yet - but feel the emotions you are going through- the bandster will give you GREAT advice on what to do next- so just hang in there. I strongly believe that a month or two from now your story will change & you will end up saying that its the BEST thing you could have done not only for yourself but also for your child. ( at least I hope so) I wish you well & mental satisfaction.

Warmly

Christina

Norma, I personally think that hunger is a newbie bandster's worst enemy. Go ahead and satisfy your hunger!! Especially if you're nursing you need extra calories. Holy cow, I remember how starving I used to get when I was nursing--it's totally unrealistic to think you can adhere to a very low calorie diet now!

If you're still on liquids, explore the world of Soup. Seafood bisques and egg drop Soup saved me during this phase. Mushy foods include things like cheeses and meat salads (tuna salad, cottage cheese, chili--being sure to eat slowly and let each bite settle well) and there's no reason at all to deny yourself enough to feel satisfied. If you get too hungry you'll only be more frustrated than ever and might end up bingeing, possibly doing damage to your pouch and/or band. Why suffer?!? EAT, GIRL!! :)

If you are nursing, shouldn't you be supplementing your calories? I'm not banded, nor am I pregnant or nursing (whew!) but it seems like now is not the time to be watching calories, and if you are only eating 3 times a day...well, you are probably hungry because you are nursing! I just scrolled up and saw your son is 15 months, so he is obviously getting other foods than breast milk, so this is good, but still, you are lactating! Hmmm.

Don't worry, Band-Pro advice will start rolling in soon, but I'd think you should add in a small Protein drink or something to get you through, simply because you are lactating. Would you agree or have you been advised otherwise by your OBGyn or Lactation Consultant? I am very interested in what others say...and I have hijacked this thread, maybe we should start a new one..."Lactating Bandsters" He!

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for your invaluable input - I'm so glad I asked the question. Before I go any further, what is "bumped"?_ thanks for that Christina.

Norma, I have a 2yr old ,which is difficult enough, but nursing a 15mth old must be testing. I found the best thing for me was to lay on the bed with her when I couldn't pick her up. This period isn't too long - just be careful about lifting.

I think it's really important to listen to everyone regarding eating. This is supposed to be a new lease on life - not a burden. Your Dr. should of made it clear that losing weight is not a priority at the moment, especially when you're breast feeding. Just concentrate on healing.

Are you seeing a counsellor?

Once you are feeling healthier you might look at it differently.

I hope it all works out for you.

Take care,

Rachel.

I had esophagitis but a minor bump in my road on this journey.. I have lost 80 lbs in 11 months. Went from a size 20/22 to an official 12 WOO HOOO!!!!!

That's my story!

My doc, Holovor had told me a story about one of his clients who was banded lost the weight and then when to Mexico for a TT. I'm not sure of the details but anyhoot the plastic surgeon cut the tube to the port and the band system had to be removed. Bummer.

Debby

Not yet banded.