Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things went real bad!!

Hey all. I was banded on 2/3. I kept my band a little over 24 hour before I was rushed back into emergency surgery. I had 2 perferations (holes) in the stomach and peritonitis. Which is an infection of the peritoneal sac that holds that abdominal contents. I woke up 2/5 with a Nasogastric tube up my nose down my throat and hooked to suction. I kept that until Friday. A drain out of my stomach called a JP drain. Also where my port was located it was open about 6 inches across and down to the muscle bed. The nurses were doing wet to dry packing of the dressing twice a day. I was in so much pain that I couldn't stand myself and all I was aloud to have was ice chips (not that I wanted anything more). I have been so week and have also developed Fluid between the lung and the sac that holds the lung in my lower left lobe. The edema (swelling) so bad that I had no feet, ankles, knees, and even my thighs had edema in them. There were no wrinkles where your knuckles are. I was discharged from the on 2/9. I am still haveing trouble standing or walking for periods of time. Today I went to the grocerey store with my husband and was only able to make it one lap around the outer perimeter before needing to leave. I feel almost cheated. I have waited for my band for so long and fought so hard to get it for this to happen. Of course I don't believe it was my Doctors fault. I knew the risk going in. I'm a nurse for Petes sake. Although I have a deep seeded anger for those who abuse their band. I went through classes with a lady who went off her diet after she recieved her band and started eating cheetos and fried chicken. Of course everything is fine with her band. I followed the diet mind you not perfectly. I started exercising. Did the classes. Was working on the books ect.... OK I know I'm whinning. But if anyone would understand it is this group. You all who want it as bad as I did. Would I ever do it again? No. I nearly lost my life. I wish you all luck on your path and I hope none of you experience what I'm going through. :cheers2:

Sorry that you have had a bad time of it. I am confused a little, though. Did they remove your band and port, then?

It's very gracious of you not to blame your Doc, but hey, what exactly went on to cause not one, but two perforations?

I think you have every right to whine, you've had a miserable go of it and it sounds like you have a ways to go before you fully recover. It is fortunate that you are a nurse and know what to look for if things start going south again.

I hope you have a speedy recovery and are feeling better soon.

I am so sorry you had such a rough go of it!

I also agree that it is very kind of you not to be casting blame at the Dr. Did they let you see the band they removed to assure you there were no defects in the band causing the perforations?

I totally understand what you are saying about some people abusing the band!! I am not sure whether it is the ones who have no slow down, insurance picks right up, and they get banded without a struggle at all, or whether the ones who fight the fight and finally get it only to abuse it confuse me more!?

I wish you a speedy, full recovery!

Kat

redsaffron,

I'm so sorry to hear of your horrible experience. What an aweful nightmare for you and your family! :tongue: It kind of gives me a reality check as I am not yet banded (March 17). I tend to get caught up in the excitement and anticipation and sometimes forget that this is a serious surgery and complications can/do occur.

I have to admit that I too am more than a bit concerned about what went on during surgery to cause two perforations. Something certainly seems to be not quite right.

I will say a prayer for your continued recovery. God bless you and heal you.

:cursing:

oh, others say it's nice of you not to cast blame on the doc as it could have been a defect in the band......

you trusted your surgeon to inspect the band. They are simple appliances and the doc should have done a visual inspection and felt the appliance.

I ask about the band so that she would KNOW without a doubt that the band in and of itself did NOT cause the perforations--NOT to blame the band......

And it is "kind" of her not to blame her surgeon, I would in no way be so kind!!! Somebody was careless in my opinion, and when it was worked out that it was a WHO as opposed to a WHAT (the band) that caused the perforations---------if it had been my surgery--they would find themselves ask to pay for it.

Kat

To answer some of your questions. They took the band out during the operation performed on 2/5. With peritonitis you cant leave a foreign object in the body. Infection will sit up around the object making a bad situation much worse. I understand your issues about the Doctor. I have worked with him for several years and have taken care of his post-op patients. Including banded patients. They have all done remarkably well. That is why I chose him for my Doctor. He is passionate about his work and is very personable. Knowing the ages of my children and names. Asking about my mother and talking to my husband like they are old friends. I work the ER now and have seen him in action for serious life threatening events including my own. I wish I can go into more details but with HIPPA violations......

When I woke up after a nap in my hospital room my Doc was there. Sitting on a stool. With his head hanging. He confided in me that of all the bands he's performed I was the first that ever had to come out. Or that had the trouble that I have had. Was it fate that my band didn't work out? Who knows. I had many bumps in the road trying to get the band. Were they warning signs of impending failure? Again who knows. A couple of things that I do believe in is Karma, and that some things are just not ment to be. This happening to me and not having my band has been a real eye opener. Do I blame him. Again I say no. I knew the risk of surgery when I went to the table. More so the second time than the first. I knew that if I made it off the table having peritonitis can be fatal if caught late. I waited almost 24 hours before giving in and going to the hospital. Anything over 48 is almost always fatal. Now my goal is to get my strength back and return to work. I continue to loose weight. At the beginning of this whole process back in July I weighted 256 pounds. The scales today say 228 pounds. I'm more resolved now to not give up and continue to exercise (of course when he says I can). He said that I could start walking to build my stamina back up. My appetite is almost non existant (which is good). Although I'm afraid it will come back with a bang. My scars on my abdomen aren't so bad and with time should fade.

I hope that you all have speedy recovery's and that nothing like this happens to you. My fingers are crossed and I'm cheering you on all the way. :thumbdown:

I admire your attitude. With that kind of determination, you will rise above this and succeed. Contratulations, you have won an even bigger battle than simply losing weight. I commend you, and I will pray that you have a speedy recovery and a happy future.

Hope everything goes well with you. Yes, please do tell who your doctor was, so other people can make sure not to blame him/her when they choose not to use them. Perhaps he/she did not do many surgeries?

Once again, we wish you well on your recovery and please realize that this is not "the norm". I love my band and am so sorry for what you went through.

Cindy

Hello Everyone, I am Saffron's mother...and yes she had a horrible experience and I got to see it first hand. However, she is one of the bravest troopers I have ever seen...kind of hard seeing your daughter laying in the emergency room close to death with one of the most caring doctors I have ever seen in my lifetime trying to save her life...Even harder when she looked into my eyes as they wheeled her back into surgery sayig "Mom I don't want to die, I am to young" She knew as well as I that we were running on a time frame and it was a life or death time frame...my heart was sinking...however I could not show my weakness in her time of need...all I could do was tell her "It is going to be ok honey, hang in there" My heart crying out for intervention the whole time...knowing that I might of just signed my daughters death sentence but had no choice...it was one of the hardest things if not the hardest that I have done in my life...standing there alone watching her go back into surgery... she is right her doctor is so compassionate and loving...not only after the surgery but before the first surgery as well...it was not his fault and the only explanation I can think of is that it was just not meant to happen. This does not merit him being a bad doctor nor does it merit the surgery being a bad surgery...it just means that sometimes things are just not meant to happen...even in the best of circumstances. Saffron, is clueless to my knowledge of this site...her sister let me in on it and I hope she does not mind me adding my two cents...However, I think it is necessary to let others know that sometimes reguardless of how careful we are and how careful others are things can go wrong. Personally, I feel blessed to have a daughter that does not pass judgement on things that cannot be controlled and love her so much for going on with the strength that she has and the belief in the good of others...Hope you do not get upset with me for adding my two cents...but you know that I love you so much and am proud of you for being the person that you have become...hang in there girlfriend...and for the rest of you...I hope that you all are blessed with good surgeries and understand that you need to be very careful and have great attitudes in anything you do in life. Have a blessed day...Mom

Hey all. I was banded on 2/3. I kept my band a little over 24 hour before I was rushed back into emergency surgery. I had 2 perferations (holes) in the stomach and peritonitis. Which is an infection of the peritoneal sac that holds that abdominal contents. I woke up 2/5 with a Nasogastric tube up my nose down my throat and hooked to suction. I kept that until Friday. A drain out of my stomach called a JP drain. Also where my port was located it was open about 6 inches across and down to the muscle bed. The nurses were doing wet to dry packing of the dressing twice a day. I was in so much pain that I couldn't stand myself and all I was aloud to have was ice chips (not that I wanted anything more). I have been so week and have also developed Fluid between the lung and the sac that holds the lung in my lower left lobe. The edema (swelling) so bad that I had no feet, ankles, knees, and even my thighs had edema in them. There were no wrinkles where your knuckles are. I was discharged from the on 2/9. I am still haveing trouble standing or walking for periods of time. Today I went to the grocerey store with my husband and was only able to make it one lap around the outer perimeter before needing to leave. I feel almost cheated. I have waited for my band for so long and fought so hard to get it for this to happen. Of course I don't believe it was my Doctors fault. I knew the risk going in. I'm a nurse for Petes sake. Although I have a deep seeded anger for those who abuse their band. I went through classes with a lady who went off her diet after she recieved her band and started eating cheetos and fried chicken. Of course everything is fine with her band. I followed the diet mind you not perfectly. I started exercising. Did the classes. Was working on the books ect.... OK I know I'm whinning. But if anyone would understand it is this group. You all who want it as bad as I did. Would I ever do it again? No. I nearly lost my life. I wish you all luck on your path and I hope none of you experience what I'm going through. :wink2:

My wife nearly died as well. I feel for you. The doctor used a spring sutre to fsten the ban in place and it caused a hole and leak. She became septic and had the band removed in emergency surgery. She developed phnemonia on ventilator and also a staff infection. She was in icu for 6 weeks and rehab for another 3 weeks. All this and no band, still overweight... We have a lawyer for mal practice.