Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new, nervous, and in need of advice

HI everyone! Well I go to the Doc on Fri the 22nd of Feb for a seminar and then immediately to consultaiton afterwards. I am one of those women who fall into the - "You dont really need this surgery do you?" category. Im 5'6 220lbs with a BMI of 35.2. I still wear a 14/16, but no matter what I do - I cant seem to break this number for more than a month or 2 at a time. I want to know everything. Ive been doing alot of looking around , but still have questions. Like - *Where is your port located and is it visible through the skin? * How many incisions are there in your belly? (Ive already had a gall bladder surgery and a Tummy Tuck so I already have quite the scar display on the belly) *I have a hiatel (sp) hernia, has anyone had this provedure with one and does that complicate things? *Do they go by your weight at consultation for qualification... Im so close to the border Im afraid to loose even a few pounds for fear that it will put me under 35. My insurance doesnt question if you are a 35BMI or above and have one or more comorbidities (which I do). * How fast do you loose your weight? Does your band start filled? Im sure these are all things I will figure out - I just feel so full of questions and anxiety. Any answers to these questions or stories youd like to share would be very appreciated! Thanks - Angie

Hi Angie,

Wow you sound just like me, I seem to not be able to break the 220 lbs mark either and if I do I only lose a little and then its back up to 220 lbs. I am also 5'6. I met with my surgeon yesterday and if was the most amazing experience ever. In the morning before I went I had such anxiety, and for the first time questioned if this is what I wanted to do. However, as soon as I talked with the nurse and surgeon they anwsered all my questions (which was a lot). As far as the I know they go by the weight you are at the first visit for insurance approval and they may want you to get off 5-10 lbs prior to surgery. One more things the most questions I had was also about fills and the nurse explained that it starts filled and that sometimes there are paitients who never need to get one fill, they determine if you need a fill by asking a buch of questions about your intake of food weeks after surgery. I hope some of my anwsers were helpful and if if you have any more feel free to ask. I wish you the best of luck as you begin this journey. I can't even describe the magnitude of excitement you are going to feel after your go to your consultation. Good Luck! - Danielle

I am in the same boat you are in. I have a BMI of 36 but have no health issues. They go by the weight you are when you go into the office the first time for a consult. When I taked to the doctor on the phone before I went in and explained to him my sitution he said drink lots of Water before you come and wear heavy cloths. They will require you to lose 10 pounds before they operate. That was my experience

*Where is your port located and is it visible through the skin? * How many incisions are there in your belly?

Mine is under the right breast -- and no not visible. At first I could feel it if I laid down and pressed, now that I lost 100lbs, I can feel for it just standing. Typically there are 5 incisions. There is a thread out here of people showing their incisions if you wander around to find it.

(Ive already had a gall bladder surgery and a Tummy Tuck so I already have quite the scar display on the belly) *I have a hiatel (sp) hernia, has anyone had this provedure with one and does that complicate things?

I understand both can be done together easily. I do not have any personal experience here though.

*Do they go by your weight at consultation for qualification... Im so close to the border Im afraid to loose even a few pounds for fear that it will put me under 35. My insurance doesnt question if you are a 35BMI or above and have one or more comorbidities (which I do).

I lost 50 lbs before surgery since Seminar/Consultation and the doctor - gives me credit for those lbs -- he starts his record from Seminar/Consultation.

* How fast do you loose your weight?

I lost 50 lbs in the 7 months before surgery and 46lbs in the 7 months post surgery. It will depend how much you put into it and how much you weight. I did not exercise as much as I should/could have.

Does your band start filled?

They rinse it out and fill then put it in place -- and let what ever runs out run out and then attach the port. So the answer - maybe. If it is real tight fitting - you could have none left; if you where not a tight fit you could have some left in it. I had .5cc. You find out at the first FILL appt. Immediately after surgery you feel restricted due to swelling, and this goes away (at least for me) so continue to diet during this time - till you get your first fill to get some restriction back (usually 6 weeks out)

Im sure these are all things I will figure out - I just feel so full of questions and anxiety. Any answers to these questions or stories youd like to share would be very appreciated! Thanks - Angie

Every one does and has -- you are at the right place. READ READ READ here -- all your questions will be answered one way or another.

Best wishes.

Thank you so much to everyone who replied. Im starting to feel a little more relaxed about the consult. My husband thinks that Im basically signing up to starve myself, I feel llike it is a tool to teach me the right way to eat.. Once youre off your liquids and softs phase can you pretty much eat normal foods, just obviously healthier ones? Thanks again!

Angie

I am a person that also ask's a million question even before consult... sheesh, sounds like you are a smart person doing a great job. Do you Have you insurance approval yet ? Or just working on it ?

I am glad that you are relaxed... after your consult !

Good luck

Dear Realize ~ My insurance doesnt require a preapproval as long as your within the criteria set by them which I am. So thankfully I wont be having to jump through hoops like a lot of people have to do in order to get their approval. Insurances should make this much easier on people. I still have a million questions, but hopefully they will get answered at the consult Friday.

To those who have been banded already - Anyone ever had vomiting or pb's at night while sleeping. (My mom has a friend who has had this happen many times and has come close to choking to death! ) SCARY!!!

Thanks again everyone!