Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just starting out

For me the journey to having lap band surgery started back in December when I went to see my new cardiologist because I was having heart problems again and while I was talking to him he asked if anyone had ever recommended weight loss surgery because I have a problem keeping weight off. I replied no and he referred me to a weight loss surgeon here in Northern Kentucky that he works with from time to time. Fast forward to Jan. My appointment with the weight loss surgeon was scheduled for Jan 24 and prior to that I had already been back to the cardiologist office and found out that I have to have surgery again to correct the issue with my heart. I met with Dr. Sonnanstine on the 24th where they took my blood pressure, my blood sugar, weighed me and things like that. At that point from the time I had started seeing the cardiologist to my first appoint with Dr. Sonnanstine I had managed to lose 6 pounds even with the holidays in the midst of all this. After talking to the girl that does the insurance there and contacting humana myself to see what all needed to be done, humana said I needed to complete 6 months of a doctor supervised diet, they handle their weight loss surgeries thru a company called active health who pretty much managed to confuse me more than anything so I called Dr. Sonnanstines office back and talked to them again to get clarification. Also in the midst of all this going on I got extremely sick and am just now recovering from that. I had an appointment this morning with my regular doctor to start the 6 months of supervised diet and when she weighed me, according to her scale I weighed a lot less than what I did at Dr. Sonnanstines office on the 24th...I didnt think it was possible to lose that much weight in such a short period of time even being sick like i was. When I was weighed at the cardiologist's starting out I weighed 368, when I went to see Dr. Sonnanstine I weighed 362, and when I saw my regular doctor today she said I weighed 343...Is this possible???

Hey blue,

I just read your post and yes it is possible...but if either of them used an old scale or a scale that has not been serviced that could account for those numbers as well. Good luck

Lana

After the doctors appointment this morning, I kinda figured one of the scales was off, both the Cardiologist and Dr. Sonnanstine use a digital scale, while my regular Doctor has one of those scales where you move the thing along the bar. Right now I am just trying to find out what my surgery date is for the heart surgery up at the Cleveland clinic, that in itself is a headache (I have been waiting on paperwork for 5 weeks). So right now I am just trying to take care of that and keep going with the Doctor supervised diet and work on getting everything together and ready to go.

I also had some heart issues that required surgical intervention. Your cardiologist might be able to have the insurance company waive the 6 month diet consideration. Call the insurance company and ask to speak to your case worker. Explain the cardiac issues and ask what can be done to either waive or lessen the supervised diet requirement.

Humana is aware of the heart issues, but it doesnt make a difference, I get such a headache when I have to call them to try and figure things out because half the time they don't know whats going on. The lady I talked to about what the requirements were to have it covered by insurance was probably the most unhelpful and confusing person I have talked to there yet. What I think made it worse is that I could bareley understand her on the phone.