Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Aaron Hoffman - Lap Band done in Buffalo, NY (Dr. Hoffman)

china, I know how to go to Ticker Factory and pick out what I want but then when it comes to putting it where it goes I am lost. Where do you cut and paste the URL? It is driving me crazy.:)

Val, I saw Dr. H today. He said throwing up is never supposed to happen. Are we doing something wrong? I guess maybe I am eating too fast. Today I did not have a problem, but I did not eat anything really solid. He is seeing me in four weeks, I have to get the vomiting under control before then. Anyway, one day down, 29 more to go, LOL!

My Protein level was good, my HgA1c is 6.1, lowest ever, BP, 111/71, again, lowest ever. Am losing an average of two pounds a week (sure hope that continues).

He said I have the bloodwork of an 18 year old!!!!

Unfortunately the sag of a 56 year old (my words, not his!). He said the only way to lose faster is to exercise more.

Hey guys.

I think I'm starting to get nervous.

I haven't been eating on plan whatsoever, and I'm worried that my weigh in will be an issue. Did any of you go on a liquid diet to make sure your liver was shrunk as much as possible? I think I'm going to start one tomorrow. I'm freaking out that he'll get in there and not be able to band me.

I'm less than 2 weeks away and having freakouts!

Bloom, You do not need a liquid diet, you need carb free. It is the carbs that make the liver bigger. A liquid diet may have too many carbs? Not sure.

I ate meat, cheese, veggies for the week before. He said my liver was good. I did not have to starve myself, just stay carb free. Dont panic!!! You have done so well.

Hey guys.

I think I'm starting to get nervous.

I haven't been eating on plan whatsoever, and I'm worried that my weigh in will be an issue. Did any of you go on a liquid diet to make sure your liver was shrunk as much as possible? I think I'm going to start one tomorrow. I'm freaking out that he'll get in there and not be able to band me.

I'm less than 2 weeks away and having freakouts!

Bloom, I am 6 weeks away and freaking out! I think it is to be expected. Were you given instructions for a diet? I thought it was 1 or 2 weeks of SB Phase 1. Not to freak you out more but all the books say it is important to follow the preop diet and if the liver isn't shrunk or is soft and mushy it makes the surgery harder and you are under anesthesia longer or they may even cancel surgery. I know you will do the right thing and do fabulously

judy,

since i had my fill im throwing up more. yesterday it was 3 times but only once today. i noticed if i eat the mushier foods i dont throw up, so either im eating too much or to fast or not chewing enough. im going to choose softer foods till i get back from vacation. im supp to go back in 6 weeks but try to get through to get an appt. i will walk on sat if it doesnt rain

val

ok here is what i did after makeing my tickler go the the begining of the tickler and double click the left side of the mouse that will highlight it then press and hold down the button that says ctrl along with the button c that copys it then type in lapbandtalk.com then click quick links and stroll downt to settings and click it when you get there you gone go in the big box like the one that we type each other in click in and hold down the botton that says ctrl along with the v key and you should see it them.

Val, I know I haven't been banded yet but I read a lot of information and you are right to take it slow in introducing solid food. I was wondering if before you leave after having a fill do they ask you to drink Water so they can make sure it goes down? That seems to be the guide on whether you are filled to full or not. I have read that more than one place. I hope you are filling better.

Just an update. I too had my fill on Tuesday and I can tell the difference. I never throw up but man I get a lot more food stuck than I did before. Especially bread type products. Im happy though at least now I know I have resitriction.

Hi everyone, I have been kind of lax lately so in preperation for surery I decided I would start eating slowly and chew, chew, chew. It took FOREVER to get a small dinner down! I couldn't believe it. So I got flustered and ate faster. Makes me wonder if I will be able to eat slow enough or chew enough. Kudos to everyone who is doing it.:tt2:

Hey kids! I have all of my pre-op testing tomorrow, how long does it take, what should I wear, what will they be doing, etc.? If y'all could please help me out that would rock.

Also...have any of you ever emailed Dr. Hoffman? I know he's wicked busy but I thought I would email him yesterday talking about my concerns. I wonder if you have asked similar questions:

--If I gain weight by my final weigh in, will he cancel my surgery?

--Has he ever not been able to place a band because of someone's big old liver? I'm so crazy about this right now!!!

--Can I choose where my port goes?

--How is the post-op pain?

Yours truly,

Freaking Out in Lockport. :tongue2:

Hey kids! I have all of my pre-op testing tomorrow, how long does it take, what should I wear, what will they be doing, etc.? If y'all could please help me out that would rock.

Also...have any of you ever emailed Dr. Hoffman? I know he's wicked busy but I thought I would email him yesterday talking about my concerns. I wonder if you have asked similar questions:

--If I gain weight by my final weigh in, will he cancel my surgery?

--Has he ever not been able to place a band because of someone's big old liver? I'm so crazy about this right now!!!

--Can I choose where my port goes?

--How is the post-op pain?

Yours truly,

Freaking Out in Lockport. :tongue2:

He does not access email often.

Wear clothes that will allow blood to be taken. I wore regular clothes, T shirt and Jeans.

I doubt that he would cancel your surgery, you have already lost 40 pounds right? Only if you gained it all back then perhaps they would cancel due to insurance. I did not lose any weight prior to surgery and they did mine.

Stay as carb free as you can and your liver will not be any problem (and yours is not OLD!).

You could tell him where you want your port (I forgot to do so) but I doubt that it would matter, it is placed in a specific spot on all of us, the same spot, so I doubt that you have a choice, but you can ask him. You will see him that day before surgery.

I did not have much post op pain, but everyone is different. The thing that I wish I had was more ice packs post op. I meant to tell you and Linda this. After surgery they give you an ice pack for you abdomen. It leaked all over. Have your husband bring two zip lock bags so you can have two non leaking ice packs. The best thing would be those sheets of ice that they sell at Walgreens, no leaking and they would fit across the entire surgical site. The ice was the best. My skin burned after the surgery. I took all the pain shots they would give me the first day, and then only needed tylenol after that. I used the liquid Lortab prescription at home, but mostly at night when I wanted to sleep.< /p>

Call the clinic and ask for the NP (or Hoffman if he is there) for better answers, I have always had a good response when I called the clinic and needed help.

There was a big to-do by someone recently over emails, which is why I would suggest that you not do it via email.

Please call me if you need to talk, 997-4945. Of course I can only tell you my opinion and preferences but I would be glad to talk. Do you want to meet for coffee at all? I would be happy to help with your anxiety. I will come to Lockport if you want (I would go to Jane and Co).

I have no bad experiences to tell you really, my discomfort was minimal and is gone now.

Oh, one more thing. If you even think the anesthesia might make you sick ask for the scopalomine patch and Zofran before surgery.

One further thing, I was back to work 5 days after surgery. At about 10 days I did get tired easily and that passed after I got more rest.

Dont hesitate to call.

Edited by JudyAnticola
more info

Hi everyone, I have been kind of lax lately so in preperation for surery I decided I would start eating slowly and chew, chew, chew. It took FOREVER to get a small dinner down! I couldn't believe it. So I got flustered and ate faster. Makes me wonder if I will be able to eat slow enough or chew enough. Kudos to everyone who is doing it.:tongue2:

Linda, I can tell you why you will chew and eat slow. At my last visit he told me that vomiting is not acceptable and that if it continues he will remove some of the Fluid from that band. He put the fear of God in me, and I have eaten slow and chewed and have not vomited since he told me that. Knowing he would remove some of the restriction forced me to eat more carefully. So far so good, no vomiting since seeing him. Pain preceeds the vomiting, so I have also had no pain.

Keep in mind that he will remove restriction, that will remind you to eat slow and small.

Linda, I can tell you why you will chew and eat slow. At my last visit he told me that vomiting is not acceptable and that if it continues he will remove some of the Fluid from that band. He put the fear of God in me, and I have eaten slow and chewed and have not vomited since he told me that. Knowing he would remove some of the restriction forced me to eat more carefully. So far so good, no vomiting since seeing him. Pain preceeds the vomiting, so I have also had no pain.

Keep in mind that he will remove restriction, that will remind you to eat slow and small.

Bloom, one more thing-others have said to have your husband bring a pillow to hold for the ride home in case of bumps in the road. I did not need this, but again, you might be different. I was so psyched to be feeling so great that I do not even remember the ride home! I was actually discharged hours early, before noon the next day.

Do not hesitate to call me, I do not think I will be very busy this weekend, especially if it rains then I will not camp, but I have my phone there too.

Bloom I am a few weeks behind you but have been learning from this site and books. I believe your weight is no longer an issue once you have your insurance authorization. The final weigh in is for their records to see how you do post op. I suspect many people put on a few pounds eating their favorite foods for the "last" time (not necessarily true) As far as the liver, just be true to the pre op 1 week before diet and it will be fine. Yes they will cancel surgery if your liver is not shrunk. Plus even if they do surgery it will be harder on the doctor and you may be under anesthesia longer than necessary. BUT now that I have said that I have all my dates and written instructions and there is nothing about a preop diet on it. Lisa seems to be amenable to phone calls and will probably put you through to the best person.

I am glad Judy mentioned the ice packs I had not remembered that. I might suggest cheap frozen bagged veggies that you can refreeze over again as they confirm to your body. I have a list for the hospital that includes lip gloss-they say the air is very dry in the hospital, and ear plugs-for an annoying roomate and gasx and liquid tylenol for home. Hope this helps. You will be fine! My preop testing question is is the blood work fasting? And when do you get the scrips, when you show up at the hospital?