Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Surgery Date is the 25th..WooHoo

Hello everyone,

my surgery is scheduled for the 25th. I'm so excited. Is there anything I absolutley should bring to the hospital with me?

I'm going to be a Victorious Valentine! :eek::thumbup:

Are you staying overnight or same day outpatient?

If you are same day, you really don't need to bring a lot as they will have you busy from the moment you walk in the door. The more important thing is what to wear. Make it something very loose, preferably something that just sort of slips over your head or buttons in front loosely. Slip on shoes are preferable as you really aren't going to want to tie anything. I brought chapstick for my lips and I used it once. Maybe a brush to brush your hair afterward (not that you are going to really care what you look like).

If you are going to stay overnight I'm not sure you are going to need to much more than that with the exception of a toothbrush and toothpaste, Gas-x strips (these really helped me even very early on as you have gas but it's hard to burp due to the swelling). You may want to bring a small pillow to hold against your stomach when you are getting in and out of bed. If the hosptial will let you bring your own jammies make sure they are nice and soft and loose. I slept a good portion of the first 24 hours so things like an MP3 player, magazines and such were of little use to me during that time. They will be used more on days 2,3 and 4.

At home the two things I used the most were the Gas-x strips and liquid tylenol once I stopped taking the hard drugs. You get to a point where the prescription is just too much for the symptoms you are having and tylenol is more than enough to take care of the soreness.

One thing I'd recommend is chapstick - or some kind of lip balm. I had awful dry mouth right after surgery and even through day 3. Also, my 8 yr-old sent one of his favorite stuffed animals with me for moral support and it was much appreciated. :-)

Blessed, you and I will be linked forever. I too have a scheduled surgey date of 2-25-08. I am anxious and ready for it to happen. I had a date of 2-11-08 that was canceled due to a medical condition.

I am having my surgery done as an outpatient. My Nurse Coord. has had the surgery and told me what to bring on my surgery date: Loose comfortable clothing, slip on shoes and a pillow to cover your stomach when you buckle up on the ride home.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

There are a lot of us being banded on that day. I can't wait for all of us to compare notes. I think on the surgery date thread there are like 4 or 5 of us but there are a few more people that haven't posted on that thread. Are you spending the night or are you going to be outpatient? I have to spend the night:(

I'm spending the night also. I have packed: Lip balm, some comfy sweats and shirt, slippers, cozy socks, lotion, a photo of my boys, and a pillow. My boys each packed one of their stuffed animals. My DH is shocked I'm not packing my makeup and said he was going to grap my makeup bag, just in case. LOL

I cannot wait to start losing weight with all of you.

i live in south fl ND IM GOING TO DENVER FOR SURGERY SO MY BIG CONCERN IS FREEZING MY TAIL OFF...HA ..I HAVE NO WINTER CLOTHES AT ALL IWAS AT THE BEACH YESTERDAY WITH MY TOES IN THE SAND ...ANYWAYS GOOD LUCK TO YALL ENJOY BANDLAND

The best thing that was recommended to me was a small fan (the clip on kind). My hospital room was very warm and the air movement helped a lot. I think I paid about $15. at wallyworld. I also changed into my own night gown as soon as the nurse came to change the IV bag. She unhooked it so I could slip my gown over my head. It made me a lot more comfortable than the bulky hospital gown. The day in the hospital is all about you, pamper yourself. My own pillows were nice too. Much softer than hospital pillows.

My surgery date is also the 25th..unless of course I don't pass my stress test :unsure:

I have part 1 of 2 of my nuclear stress test tomorrow, a little nervous about that, the echo I am not worried about, I am having a TOUGH time on liquid diet, I have 6 days left to go and I am every so hungry, I have lost over 10 lbs, and begged the staff to let me have steamed vegies or something, to no avail :biggrin:

Everyone says it will be worth it, but It is so hard....

Don't worry about the stress test. I talked them into letting me use the treadmill because I didn't want the medicine to make my heart race. It was a breeze and then I got a nice nap while they took pictures. Good luck to you!

I tried to talk them into the treadmill, to no avail :( I am freaked about the medicine that makes your heart race, I am scared something will go wrong...

Ask them again when you get there if you think you can handle the treadmill. I called the day before to question it and was told that I was too large for their equipment and they didnt' think I could do the treadmill. I took my shoes along anyway and asked the nurse who checked me in. She said if the doctor running the test said it was ok we could try.

My DH and BF have both had the chemical stress test and said it wasn't bad. I just got my back up on this one and decided I wasn't going to let them treat me differently because I am fat if I could avoid it. I work out at curves 4 times a week. The treadmill wasn't a problem. Just don't let it stress you out.