Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting the ball rolling

I'm a Calgary girl who wants the Lap band. What do I do to start the procedure? Should I go see my doctor first and get referral. I've been reading that there is a long wait list in Alberta, is this still the case? I've also read that Alberta Health Care will consider doing the procedure if you have a BMI over 40...mine is usually between 39.6-40.0.. Do you know how long the wait is?

Hello SphynxMomma,

I am in Calgary too. Here is what I know about the CHR program. I was in the line to get one done in Calgary, but the wait was too long (about 3-4 years at that time). I decided to go pay for it myself.

Based on my success with the Lapband, my boss has decided to go through the CHR program and here is what I can tell you based on his experience.

Talk to you Dr. and they wil give you a referal to the weight management clinic. Your BMI will need be above 40. Once they get your referal, they will put you in the que and send you a letter whether you are accepted or not. The current time frame for this is about 8 month.

Once you get the letter, and if you are accepted, then you will attend thier orientation about 6 months later. From thier you will be on another 6 month monitored diet pahase where you are expected to lose 10% of you body weight, attend thier classes, see their psychologist and meet with thier dieticians. If you accomplish all that, then they will triage you based on your BMI, co-morbidities (diabetes, sleep apnea, mobility problems) and how well they think you will do after you get the lapband.

There is a group that looks at all these factors and then either reccomends you for the surgery. After that (couple more months) you will meet with the surgeon. Once you meet with the surgeon it depends on where you are in the triage. Worse off people go first. My boss who has sleep apenea and joint problems and a BMI of 47 meets with the surgeon next week, and he has been told it will be about a year before he gets the band.

The CHR made a big deal out of the fact that they are doing 100 bands this year, but they are not going to get anywhere near that. There are just not the operating rooms and the staff to do all the neccesary pre-op and post-op care. I have it on good authority that they may only do 50 or so this year.

I have also heard through the grapevine that they may be cancelling the program due to the CHR being $100 million over budget, and the Province not willing to cover that overage.

Sorry if this sounds discouraging, but that is the truth of it. The CHR has made such a big deal about this but the reality is that the program is not that successful due to a lack of resources.

You can see why I decided to go out on my own. I would still be sitting her 135 pounds heavier if i waited for the CHR.

Andrew

Hi SphinxMama,

I am one of the people that managed to get banded through the CHR this year. I haven't actually seen anyone else on this forum admit to being banded by the CHR, so I might be in a really small minority. I seem to have gotten through the program at light speed :wink_smile: in that it took me only 6 months to get into the program (from Dr.'s referral) and then about 10 months until I got banded. I think I got lucky in that I got referred before the publicity for the band really got out there.

I think that Gaffer is right that you want to consider all of your options. What I really like about the CHR program is the support I can get through Psychology, dietician, endocrinologist, surgeon, etc all at no cost to me. I met with my psychologist last week and she didn't say anything about the program being cancelled, although she did say that the program has backed away from their promise to increase her hours to full time because of budget problems.

While you are researching your options, I would suggest that you go to your Dr. and get at least a referral to the program so the process gets started. You can always say you don't need the service at a later date.

Good luck to you!