Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is life at goal?

I am closing in on my "goal". I am uncertian of the number. 150 sounded good. I am doing alright with the band, yet I don't "live the band" they way I should. I waver from Atkins for a month then to normal eating(well rounded with carbs). My questions is, do you continue with the same new habbits you have created? Are you over critical of what you eat now because you don't want to go back up? What is your story? Does it comsume your everyday life?

At goal for a few weeks now. I have to say that in spirit, I feel different, more at peace, less consumed with what and how much I eat.

I have to say I am not feeling any different at goal, with regard to my food. I still have to try to eat clean. I pretty much keep low carb, I don't worry about it though. If there is an occasion to eat carbs, I will. Otherwise I am pretty much a lowcarber by choice.

So yes, in answer to your question, I do stick with my new eating habits, perhaps just a bit looser. I am not critical of what I eat, but I do have to watch it, because with a fill at 3.0 still, I need to focus on the putting good and healthy food in my small pouch. There is no room for 'empty' foods. And I take my vits.

Good luck, goal is a wonderful place to be.

Edited to add:

AND I exercise as much if not MORE than while losing. I see this as a lifestyle change and this is what will keep my body at goal and my mind healthy. I was thinking the other day, that I am able to jog, BECAUSE of my weight loss.

I've only been at goal for 2 months, but I still worry that the weight will come back. I'm not a true believer in myself! Last week I had to have an unfill, so I am very afraid of regaining. I've maintained for 1 week so far! Yay! But the head hunger still haunts me. I think it will get better as more time passes. At least I hope so!

Ive pretty much been at goal for 2 months now, and havent gone in for a fill since Oct. Basically now I try my best to balance my diet..I know only to have a couple of Cookies instead of sitting on the couch with the container, and then will eat the rest of the day with the fact that I had Cookies in mind. It also effects my workout..O I had cookies today ( i love cookies) better throw in an extra hundred crunches! lol

I dont let it rule my life though. I dont get on the scale every day to make sure I havent gained a pound, I just try my best to live a normal well rounded healthy life

I am closing in on my "goal". I am uncertian of the number. 150 sounded good. I am doing alright with the band, yet I don't "live the band" they way I should. I waver from Atkins for a month then to normal eating(well rounded with carbs). My questions is, do you continue with the same new habbits you have created? Are you over critical of what you eat now because you don't want to go back up? What is your story? Does it comsume your everyday life?

Hi and congrats! You've done so well.

Live the band.....hmmm... I'm not sure what that means.

Yes, I do live with the new habits, but if I revert to the old the band is my backup tool.

Not critical at all, I've enjoyed being able to eat normal foods and stop after 3 bites. This has been a feat for me.

Congrats again and keep us posted.

Well I'd rather have my eyeballs impaled on flaming toothpics than do Atkins, I am an avid anti lowcarber, lol. I've eaten "normally" throughout the entire process meaning I think a sandwich for lunch is a healthy well rounded meal - a bit of Protein, some salad veg and 2 nice pieces of wholegrain bread. Filling but a good meal.

So maintenance is no different. There's no food groups to reintroduce, and no feeling of deprivation and that FINALLY I can have those foods again or anythign like that. My weight loss just petered out naturally, so I havent really adjusted calories at all.

I jsut dont say no to the odd treat nowadays.

I still have exercise goals - I am trainign to do my first half marathon and just started back at the gym, and I still have body goals. I've got 26% body fat and would like that to be more like 24% but I'm no longer consumed by what I eat everyday or by losing actual weight.

Well I'd rather have my eyeballs impaled on flaming toothpics than do Atkins

That has to be the funniest visual I have ever had.

In all honesty, maintenance is so much like losing, it's pretty much the same.

I still exercise daily, and I still make the best food choices I can, the only difference is, that with my unfill, I can eat a little more now than I could before.

I was very careful not to put my whole self into losing weight. Not to make it my identity. So when I got to goal (almost 2 years ago now) it was exciting, but I had other goals to move onto (personal goals and exercise goals) I wasn't let down that it was all over, if you get what I mean?

So, my life is exactly the same now as it was the day I got to goal. I created a lifestyle I could live with for the rest of my life.

Boring, huh? :tongue_smilie:

I'm approaching goal too and hope that I can maintain in a healthy way once I get there, because thats the way I have lost so far.

I most certainly have not been some one who has "enjoyed being able to eat normal foods and stop after 3 bites" like a previous poster in this thread. I would pass out and suffer from malnutrition if I'd done that given that I have made exercise a part of my life now too. But to each their own I guess..... I do eat normal food, but just A LOT less than I did pre-band (but certainly more than 3 bites!).

I am approaching goal too. I doubt seriously that anything will change once I get there. I am very sensitive to carbs and gain weight easily.

I do eat a very high Fiber whole grain Cereal almost every morning, but I doubt that I would ever try to go back to pizza and frys. I can gain 5 lbs in a weekend easily, if I eat anything wrong.

The difference for me is that before banding, I ate the same way, but I was gaining weight. I guess it's because my portions are so much smaller with the band.

I would never give up exercise. I am too grumpy when I miss my gym time!

I have been at goal since January, unfortunately for me I have caused myself lots of mental problems. I see the fat me everytime I look into the mirror. I live in fear that I will regain weight, even though I am still loosing. For me being at goal has been harder than loosing the weight. Now I just ponder all the stupid what if's.....sigh....:blush:

I have been at goal since January, unfortunately for me I have caused myself lots of mental problems. I see the fat me everytime I look into the mirror. I live in fear that I will regain weight, even though I am still loosing. For me being at goal has been harder than loosing the weight. Now I just ponder all the stupid what if's.....sigh....:blush:

You too? I still see myself larger than what I really am. When I shop for clothing, I reach for pants or whatever I think I can fit. But when I look at the tag it says 14 or even 16.

When I see the tag say 6 or 8, I look at the clothing and think to myself...I can't fit this.

But I can and often times it a tad loose...but I won't buy size 4 clothes...I'd rather up the calories and fit the 6.

Thanks for sharing your thought as I am in the same boat.

Sounds like when at goal or near, the food choices are sensible, sensible quantities and now due to lower weight the exercise, now maintaining that healthy sexy new body is up to you, keep all the good choices made, and i think these boards will keep continued motivation. I think we all on these boards to help each other overcome our previous addiction to food for what ever reason it became that way.:blush:

I haven't yet made it to goal, but I have almost exactly the same issue. I just can't see the thin guy, and so I still interact with the world like I was the fatman. I suppose the next step is a shrink....sigh....

To the original poster, I just went through a period of a few months without a fill, and maintained the weight during the time. If you've managed to adjust your concept of portion size during your journey, you should be able to hold your own even unfilled. My endgame plan now is to get to my original goal, re-evaluate, and if I'm happy there get an unfill and up the exercise.

I wish I could say I was more like Chickie and weight loss wasn't a huge part of my life, but it really has been the primary focus for me in the past year. It's time to start thinking about life outside the band.

All Of This Info Has Been Great For Me. I Am Having A Little Of The Same Body Image Problems That Other People Have Posted About. Does Your Body Tell You When You Hit Your Goal? I Was Just Wondering If There Are Telltale Signs You Are Where You Need To Be. I Carry My Weight Really Well At 171 And Wonder If 150 Is Too Thin For Me. I Am 5'6 With A Meduim Frame. Any Ideas?

I think most of us still have food addictions. I know I still turn to sweets if I am super stressed out. Then I feel guilty and beat myself up.

The band doesn't change our head unfortunately.

BooBoo, I worry all the time that for some reason they will have to take the band out and I will gain all the weight back too. It is hard

to accept that we have this miracle gift that has transformed our

bodies.