Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally...first Fill!

Hi everybody, Today was my first fill! thanks to all for your advice. According to my surgeon, I wasn't due for my first fill till next month. I am five months out and started to slow down on weight loss ( only 3 pounds) since December. I told my Dr. that I was hungry with only 1/3c of food three times a day, so, I increased the amount to 1/2c., I dropped 2lbs. this month. My Dr. also said that he does not know how many baby spoon bites are in each 1/3c. or so ...but if it's more than 3-6 baby spoonfuls it would be too much! Just wondering .....do any of you eat this amount? Is it reasonable to think that 3-6 baby spoons of food 3x aday plus two Protein Drinks is what you guys are doing? I don't want to mess up! Don't forget this is my first fill. I thank you so much. any advice or feedback would be appreciated! Linda :confused2:

IMHO your doctor is smoking crack! Others may not agreee with me, but 1/3 cup of food or 3-6 baby spoons of food 3x per day (plus Protein drinks) is starving for a grown adult. It's no wonder your weight loss has slowed down. I would be seriously concerned about getting enough nutrition and SERIOUSLY concerned about the mental health of my doctor.

Again, it's my opinion.. but I think that if you research the nutritional aspects enough you'll find that this is bad advice. If you were just coming out of the mushie stage, perhaps I could see it; but given that you're 5 months out... I don't. Also, doctors vary on fills... but I'm not sure how he comes up with you being "due for the first fill" SIX months out. There are people who don't get fills until then because they don't need them, but saying that you're not "scheduled" for the first fill until then seems very fishy to me.

If I were you I would be looking for another doctor really quick and giving this one the view of my fat butt walking out of his office forever.

Hi, I feel I could cry!!!!!!!!! I chose this surgeon because he was the only only one covered by my insurance. I had to leave my provider of 15 yrs and switch to this provider to get approval from my insurance. I am not hungry if I eat 1/2c of food, which after 2 wks ago increases my intake fom 1/3! I told him if this what my daughter ate JUST after gastric bypass, and reminded him that I was a lapband without a fill. He told me that to eat 1-3 bites put down the baby spoon, wait about two minutes AND IF I WAS STILL HUNGRY go ahead and finish the other two bites! can I just say ....I now DREAD going in to see my dr. The nutritionist says That I must drink the 64 oz. of water...i said that 48oz. was my limit so far. I thought this might was away my nutrients from the little food I take in. Her reply to me was "I have patients that drink over 100 0z." Am I wrong to feel dejected? Do any of you have this time of regime? I am starting to feel like a big complainer...and I am getting depressed! Any advice? Linda

Lindypie

I agree with WestCoastFatGuy. I don't think 3-6 baby spoonfuls of food 3x a day is enough. That's not even enough for a baby! You've only had one fill, right? How many cc's of Fluid is in your band and what size band do you have? I don't know how aggressive your doctor is with each fill, but there is no way I could have eaten that small amount of food after one fill. I've already have 5 fills and I still eat a lot more than that and I've been able to lose weight pretty consistantly. It's just my opinion, but I don't think that is enough. I think you should talk to your surgeon and express your concerns to him.

Hi, I feel I could cry!!!!!!!!! I chose this surgeon because he was the only only one covered by my insurance. I had to leave my provider of 15 yrs and switch to this provider to get approval from my insurance. I am not hungry if I eat 1/2c of food, which after 2 wks ago increases my intake fom 1/3! I told him if this what my daughter ate JUST after gastric bypass, and reminded him that I was a lapband without a fill. He told me that to eat 1-3 bites put down the baby spoon, wait about two minutes AND IF I WAS STILL HUNGRY go ahead and finish the other two bites! can I just say ....I now DREAD going in to see my dr. The nutritionist says That I must drink the 64 oz. of Water...i said that 48oz. was my limit so far. I thought this might was away my nutrients from the little food I take in. Her reply to me was "I have patients that drink over 100 0z." Am I wrong to feel dejected? Do any of you have this time of regime? I am starting to feel like a big complainer...and I am getting depressed! Any advice? Linda

I completely understand your frustration and anxiety. Since you already had the surgery and now are on to just fills... are you possibly able to afford to pay for the fills on your own from another surgeon? If so, this would put an end to this ridiculousness. The more you talk about this flake and his crummy staff the more I want to wring every one of their stinking necks. I'd rather have to use a credit card to pay for fills and pay it off over time than have to walk into that freaks office ever again!

Alternatively, you said that this is the only surgeon covered by your insurance. Do you mean the only one covered that is close by you? Because it seems pretty far-fetched that the insurance is sooo restrictive as to only allow one surgeon that is within driving distance of you. I drive over two hours to my surgeon and their are several on these boards who go much farther so that they are able to have a surgeon that meets their required level of integrity.

The time for feeling like a vicitm is over. It's time to get mad! Get mad and take action. This is about you and your success! Get creative. Call your insurance company again to see if any new surgeons have been added to their list. Don't be afraid to tell them why you are asking. It may prompt them to consider adding more doctors to their list.

Hi again, Well, it is the only doctor that is closest to me. I am sure If I research I may very well find one...I also have a secondaryinsurance, which I thought of when I read your response. It is tricare but I haven't used it much. I am lucky to find this forum and all of you! You all have shed a lot of light on many questions and issues I have. Thank you! Linda :thumbup:

Hi lindaypie, I had my lapband surgery on 9/11/07. I havent had a fill yet. Im down 60lbs. My dr. has me eating 3 meals a day. 1/2 cup each(I eat them with a baby spoon) If I eat meat, dairy.... I dont have to worry about Protein drinks. I also try to drink 60oz. of liquid a day. I get 2 low fat Snacks. Cottage cheese, almonds,sugar free pudding. If you starve yourself youre boby will shut down and you wont be able to drop any weight. I have to admit my weight loose has slowed down. Im cheating a little. Im still dropping 4 to 5 lbs a month (last 2 months). I would think about writing down some questions about whats going on with you and discuss them with your doctor. Do you know how many and how long hes been doing lap band surgery? Im just giving you a few suggestions. This is a long process that never ends but does go thru changes. I hope this helps. Good luck LindaE