Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help any thoughts would be appreciated

:confused:Hey all,

Excuse the length of this post.....I would greatly appreciate any thoughts any of you have on what you would do if you were in my shoes.

I had my lapband surgery Nov 16th in Mexico. Two weeks later I came down with a nasty case of staph infection at the port site.....to keep the story short I was in the hospital for a week had the port removed and was left with a ugly large nasty open wound ( wow now if that isnt a pretty picture to paint) I was off work for 7 weeks and finally I am healthy and back to work but with no port inside of me.

I saw a new Dr. here in the states and we discussed putting the port back in but I am selfpay and have already spent quite a bit of money with the initital surgery and the complications that have followed and not sure if I can afford having it done by him.

When I first got sick I was really upset with the hospital and Dr. in Mexico....2nd guessing my decision to go there and not have it done in the states....I know staph can happen in any hospital anywhere...but of course in the back of my mind and my families it was that whole "Mexico" thing.

I think at times I should just go to the Dr. here in the states but then I wonder am I overreacating and if I should go back to the origional surgeon in Mexico.

I am so bummed out as I have so much vested in this great tool.... money, time, energy the emotional and physical toll it has taken on me and darn it I want to have the sucesss that I have read so many on this board have had.

So now after a lengthy waaaaaawaaaaa post I guess my question is who would spend quite a bit more money to go to a Dr. here in the states and how many would trust going back to the hospital in Mexico that I had the initial surgery done at?:D:confused::tt2:

You're right, you could get that infection anywhere.

Have you been in touch with the original surgeon? Will he put your port back in at any significant savings? Is the new doctor willing to follow up on you regardless of where you get the new port installed?

If it is a matter of the money, then the original Dr is probably cheaper, but, once bitten, twice shy. I would be more comfortable with the closest surgeon that can monitor my recovery.

Not much help, am I?

You don't say if you live close to the border and can drive to Mexico or if you have to fly. I would think it would be just as expensive to be flying back and forth as it would be to get a Dr closer to you.

I'm very sorry about your infection. :mad:(

Sometimes infection is the doctor's fault, sometimes it's the patient's fault, sometimes stuff just happens and nobody knows why.

I'd look at two things. The doc's infection stats, are they out of line? Is there a trend?

And...

Your comfort level. If you are not comfortable going there then no, don't go. Comfort level has to be primary. Follow your intuition on this one assuming the infection is a freak thing and not the norm.

Infections always scare the heck out of me, you think it's completely gone and sometimes it isn't. When placing a foreign object in the body when there has been an infection, it's just one of the things that spooks me a little. Whoever you go to just make sure they put the new port on the other side, a different location.

Take care.

Thanks for the feedback. I do live only 3 1/2 hours from where I had the original surgery and well I guess it is going to take me a bit longer to decide what to do.

I know for a fact that the infection was not caused by anything I did....The Dr's that treated me when I got the infection made that very clear and I don't believe that it is a trend with this Dr. according to his staff they had never had an infection from the intitial surgery....but they have had patients get an infection from a fill.

So I will ponder this for a bit longer and hopefully in the next month or so I will be able to make a decision have the port put back in and restart this journey.......on the upside I have lost 29 lbs since being banded.

Thanks again,

L.

Laurieu- Hi, Sorry To Here About Your Problem. I Myself Had Surgery In Mexico And Thought The Hospital There Was Way Nicer And Cleaner Then Some Hospital's I've Seen Here In The States. I Had Dr. Ortiz As My Doctor. He And His Staff Were Wonderful. I Myself Am A Nurse And Really Looked Into My Doctor And Hospital Before I Made Up My Mind To Do Surgery In Mexico. May I Ask Who Was Your Doctor In Mexico? Maybe If You Don't Feel Comfortable Going Back To Him You Could See Another Doctor In Mexico. Always Remember That Staph Infection Happened Everywhere. Not Just In Mexico. I Myself Am Private Pay So I Know What You Mean When You Talk About The Cost Of All This. It's Really Exspensive. If I Were You I'ld Really Consider Going Back To Mexico And Giving It Another Shot. And The Cost Is Such A Difference To Go To Mexico Than To Pay Private Here In The States. Hope I've Helped You Ease Your Mind And Maybe It'll Be Easier To Make Up Your Mind.