Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Back......and DISAPPOINTED

Hi All,

Tracey and I met yesterday at the same seminar. Tracey--I called BCBS and they would not confirm/deny the 6 month wait. I wanted to scream!

I did make an appt. with my primary for next week to start this 6month thing...but now i'm thinking I should call the lap team to see if they can do it. I mean they would know what to write- worth a shot i guess. I'll report back..and if not go to the primary.

I'm very disappointed because i was talking to my parents giving them the scoop from the seminar and i said, "the doc will have to write a note at the end of the 6 months to say it didn't work and provide all of the details so i can get the surgery." My mom got furious saying i'm not taking this serious and should try to "Make it work." THIS is why i didn't want to tell people...they live in FL they'd never know anyway...and i was hoping she'd be more supportive like before. I'm blue.

update: i called the lapteam and they said they provide the 6 month dietplan. I'm going on 2/19 and on 3/3 for the consult. Kind of backwards, i know, but i need to get this ball rolling. I'm just so confused on what the insurance wants..they won't tell mand and the lapteam said 6 months.

Jamie, I called the ins too & they did the same thing to me....no definite answers. So maybe it's not that definite if they're not telling you that you need it up front. I have an appointment next week with my PCP & Psychiatrist....I'm going to try my best and get ALL the paperwork I can! Keep me posted!

if you go to Mexico they dont require that. I know what you are thinking, but it is really safe and super clean and sanitized! I used to work in the ER and it was way better than our hospital! The staff is super nice and very knowlegeable. The doctor is Tijuana is the one that actually trained a lot of the doctors in the states. He had does a thousand of them! They speak english too!

I too was disappointed when I went to my seminar last March and found out that UPMC required six-month nutritionist's visits--

BUT first of all, it's six visits, SO it's actually five months! And I must tell you--you really can use the time to read, read, read about what your new life will be like--both the GOOD and the BAD.

Please, relish this time given to you to get prepared. Even if you know this isn't "just another diet program" you should get to realize how much your whole life will dwell on yourself EVERY DAY: did I get enough Protein, did I get enough Water, how many carbs did I have, when can I start drinking again, did I have my vitamin/calcium, how many calories did I intake today--

Trust me, you do NEED this time to prepare yourself--so value this time. As Jack always says, this is not a SPRINT--it's a MARATHON--and we have the rest of our lives to enjoy the Band... :cursing:

An idea - Why don't you request a copy of your policy via fax or email. Have it in front of you, so you know exactly what that policy says vs. what someone may relay to you on the phone?? Just a thought, BCBS was extremely frustrating to deal with - I gave up before my denial (which I did get), and decided to go self pay. Wasn't easy *we were paying for 2* hubby and I..So I think you've come to the right place to get advise. I didn't find this site till after I was banded..utilize as best you can & keep us posted.

All the best,

BC/BS is very strict with their policies. They finally approved my surgery 12/07 after two years. I had my surgery 2/4. Be patient and if you are denied (I was denied 3 times) keep after them.

Tracyd730,

It goes soooo fast, you'd be surprised. Look at it like this, we waited this long to make the decision, a few more months won't hurt. I was for the summer, moved due to insurance 6 mos wait. Than for jan7, than moved for feb 4th and finally banded feb 4th. It was annoying but well worth the wait.Good luck and hang in there