Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Until You Got Surgery?

I've only just made my decision to get banded. I've only just talked to my doctor, and am scheduled for my first test, EKG, tomorrow. I'm wondering...

How long, after you talk to your GP, not surgeon, does it usually take to get into surgery? I'm sure it's months, but how many, roughly?

Hello Deraco, I started my process the first of November with a seminar sent my information packet in 3 days later, then 3 weeks later I finally got my appointment for the surgeon... the same week I was sent for the mental evaluation . I have been sitting waiting now for my insurance to approve I called them 2 weeks ago and they said it could take up to 6 weeks . So please do not get discouraged it's a hurry up and wait process.

How long, after you talk to your GP, not surgeon, does it usually take to get into surgery?
I didn't require a referral so I didn't talk to my physician. The only involvement she had was to do the physical required by my surgeon. Do you require a referral for approval?

I went to the seminar in Nov, had surgery in March. Much of that time was me dragging my heels about my decision.

About 1 1/2 weeks. I am definitely an odd case but I had my seminar on Jan. 8, 2008 and surgery on Jan. 17, 2008. BUT....my insurance wouldn't cover the surgery, so I was self-pay which moved things along quicker. I also worked on getting in with my GP the day after the seminar to do my blood work and get my medical records faxed over to the surgeon. So I think it was my persistance and not having to deal with insurance that made my process so fast.

Just wanted to give you some hope that it doesn't ALWAYS take months. Although, it is likely.

My first consultation with my surgeon was oct. 17, 2007 and my surgery was Dec. 26, 2007... but I really worked hard to get things done quickly due to the fact that i wanted to get it done on winter break from school or i was gonna have to wait till summer... GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!

hi

i didnt talk to my GP

went to LB surgeon on wednesday and was operated on friday (2 days)

i was self pay..

the best decision i've ever made....

Well, if you have to get insurance approval, depending on what their requirements are, it could be 3-6 months, but after I got my approval from them I was able to get a banding date for 26 days later and could have actually done it sooner, but was going to be out of town... My friend has United and they approved her really fast and for her it was all done in like 3 weeks... I do know that self-pay is a lot faster.

How far back are we going? When I finally got the courage enough to ask my PCP, I think that was probably two months before I had my first of six months dietician appointments. That was probably in December of 2006. I just had my surgery on Monday. So I guess over a year.

It's a long, long process - but anything worth doing is worth waiting for -- and worth the struggles.

It took about 9 months for me or them to get everything ready to send out to insurance and I would probably still be waiting, but my insurance approved me at the end of Nov and my husbands job was changing insurance on Jan 1, so that put them in a hurry to get me done before Jan 1, TG. So, it really worked out perfect for me.

I had it done at a Center of Excellence and they are VERY busy, so even though I was on top of things and did my part very quickly, they were slow with getting everything together, but they did squeeze me in very fast once I got the approval and we only had a few weeks to get it done.

So, if things wouldn't have fallen into place the way they did, it would have taken about 1 year.

I do not believe I was the norm at all, but I went for my consult November 12, 2007. I did not have any of the co-morbidities, however, was 100lbs overweight. I did have to complete the psych eval which took less than an hour. My insurance ROCKS and they approved me in about ten days. My surgery was january 4, 2008---so for me less than two months. Like I said I am sure this is a little unusual.

Started seeing PCP on April 1 2007 to satisfy ins.co.6 Month physician assisted weight loss program.Went to siminar on Aug 20.Saw surgeon on Nov.26 .Saw shrink in late November and received ins approvial on Dec 27.Had pre-op visit in Jan 11 and surgery on Jan 21

I have Aetna. I HATE them. What they did to me was cruel. They said they covered the surgery. I made the arrangement, then they said, no, you have to do a 6 month supervised diet with a doctor, do a sleep study, meet with a nutritionist and attend a seminar. I did all the above. At the end of 6 months, we resubmitted the paperwork. I WAS DENIED!!! I cried for three weeks and gained all my weight back. I was so depressed. THEN I GOT MAD!!!! I was a crazed BIOTCH with a mission! I did my psych evaluation, I went to support group twice a month for three months, I went back to a nutritionist. I had all my heart tests updated. I went to all my doctors for support. I had my OB/GYN, my rhumetologist, my family doctor and my heart speicalist all write letters to Aetna on my behalf. After 11 months, they approved my surgery. I had it done on Nov. 19, 2007. I've lost 36 pounds.

Now, I'm getting letters from the hospital telling me Aetna's not paying and I owe the whole enchilada. Is that not the shits? I think I smell a lawsuit.