Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BC MSP/ALberta Surgery...help?

Hello everyone,

I really am having problems fining accurate information about this. Apparently Capital Health in Alberta has a weight loss program that may included lap band surgery if necessary. :biggrin: My Doctor here in BC has referred me to this program, and I'm on a waitlist - since last August. They said I would have to wait 1 year or so. I called the clinic and they said there are no fees and that BC MSP will cover this procedure :wink2:- someone else said that Alberta is experimenting with this policy at the moment - when I called them a second time they reconfirmed my information , but said that things are in review and they would contact me if their policy changes. :Dancing_wub:

So here I am - I have Poly-cystic Ovary Syndrome and insulin resistance - my BMI is 37...I think I'm on a wait list - but it appears that things could change - I really want this surgery - anyone have any advice, thoughts or suggested steps I could take to ensure I get the surgery?:Dancing_chief:

Cheers,

K

I read somewhere that they are doing the surgery at a hospital in Edmonton. Maybe try Capital Health - Home I Read in the newspaper that the wait list is 3-4 years at this time as they are only doing 50 surgeries a year. Maybe that website could help.

Hello everyone,

I really am having problems fining accurate information about this. Apparently Capital Health in Alberta has a weight loss program that may included lap band surgery if necessary. :D My Doctor here in BC has referred me to this program, and I'm on a waitlist - since last August. They said I would have to wait 1 year or so. I called the clinic and they said there are no fees and that BC MSP will cover this procedure :tt2:- someone else said that Alberta is experimenting with this policy at the moment - when I called them a second time they reconfirmed my information , but said that things are in review and they would contact me if their policy changes. :frown:

So here I am - I have Poly-cystic Ovary Syndrome and insulin resistance - my BMI is 37...I think I'm on a wait list - but it appears that things could change - I really want this surgery - anyone have any advice, thoughts or suggested steps I could take to ensure I get the surgery?:tt2:

Cheers,

K

BC MSP does not cover the lapband at all unfortunately. Any of the BC lapband surgeons (all 2-3 of them) will tell you that it doesn't as will BC MSP if you phone them. Gastric Bypass yes, lapband, no.

Hi: Joine the BC WLS website. This site is mainly for BC residents who have had gastric bypass or gastric band. Just post and you will get all sorts of information. You have to apply to be a member.

Also, there is a monthly meeting of Gastric by pass patients all over the lower mainland and one monthly meeting for gastric band patients at the Lions Gate Hospital.

You have to be very agressive with the BC Government. If you doctor recommends it, you could also be sent to Washington State. I know of a gastric by pass patient that went that route. By attending these meetings you will get all the accurate information your require.

I had a BMI of 50 and now down to 40.5 and I could not get help so went private. If I waited any longer I would have died. Since the band, I have a cleaned our RRSP but I also have had my medications reduced considerably. You may want to try going private. Doddie