Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The mystery of the band

As my banding day approaches I wonder:

1. Will I lose hair or will I not lose hair

2. Will I be one of those that can still eat rice (aka sushi) or not

3. Will I PB and slime all the time, or not

4. Will I be succesful with this band, or get it removed in a year if it just doesn't work for me

5. Will I be one of those that can eat lettuce or one that can't

6. Will I have to cut chicken completely out of my diet like some do, or can I still eat my favorite meat

7. Will my scars keloid like some do, or heal up nicely

8. Will I have this huge panus hanging down to my knee caps, or will I be one of the lucky few who has elastic skin.

9. Will my port area get infected like some, or heal up nicely?

10. Will I be able to sleep on my tummy if I want to, or will the port drive me nuts.

11. Will I get worse acid reflux than I already have now?

12. Will I lose my boobs??? ugggg

And the questions go on. All of these questions come to mind and it's so scary.... It's like we are playing black jack or some other weird dice game and nobody is guaranteed anything... and it's all just a big mystery until you are done and go through it.. I hate mystery's... I hate not knowing... Everybody is different and there is no telling until we actually go through with it.. The not knowing is steadily making me go crazy...

Crystal,

As with any life changing decision there are going to be pluses and minuses. But I can pretty much guarantee you that the pluses will definitely outweigh the minuses and that a year from now, if you follow your doctor's instructions, get your fills, and follow the bandster way of eating that you will succeed and any of the minuses will be a minor sacrifice for your over all health, well-being, self-image and confidence.

Try not to over think this. You will make yourself crazy! :scared2:

Yeah, you're right.. but, my biggest worry is not being able to eat chicken. I can't stand fish, except tuna and I don't eat red meat, as my husband has gout and can't eat that either. So, that pretty much just leaves chicken.. if I can't eat that, I don't know what I would do.. ya know? Also, my hair is already thin, I can't imagine losing more of it.. so, those are my two bigger worries... the keloid scars and all that other stuff I don't really care about as much... I can deal with the pain and I can deal with little things.. but when it comes to actually getting my nutrients from the main meat I'll be eating and losing the hair.. well, that's a big deal to me.

I think as long as your chicken is really moist (maybe marinade it?) and you reallly chew well that you should be okay. As far as hair goes, make sure you take really good Vitamins (I take Bariatric Advantage chewables which I specifically made for bariatric patients and loaded with vitamins) as well as making sure you get as much Protein as possible. There may be some initial Hair loss but from what I hear it does come back. Keeping your nutrients up will help prevent or at least lessen that. I lost a significant amount of hair about six years ago when I was on treatment for Hep C. It literally was coming out in fistfulls in the shower. Today my hair is as thick as always. So just make sure your getting all your vitamins and nutrients and you should be good to go! :scared2:

See, I've heard some people say that taking your Vitamins and Protein isn't it, that it's just the anestesia.. that it causes some people to lose their hair... and some say it's the stress of not eating.. and some say vitamins and protein, but when I KNOW for a fact there are people who take their vitamins and eat tons of protein and still lose a lot of hair.. it makes me think it's not the vitamins and protein but one of the other things.. oh well.. I'll just have to wear hats. lol.

I know you said you hated fish. Have you tried Tilapia? It is one kind of fish and I am not into any other kinds of fish. I actually gag when my DH makes tuna salad. Blah! He talked me into trying this Tilapia kind and much to my suprise (and dismay as he is ALWAYS right LOL) I like it, Maybe you could give it a try before your surgery if you are not already on the fabulous full liquid thing. It comes in the freezer section and we just thaw and throw it on the George Foreman grill. Just a thought, I know what its like trying to get in all your Protein when you can't/don't want to eat certain kinds of meat. I was a vegetarian for years because any meat just grossed me out. And for the other things on your list (except the hair thing) I am laughing with you not at you as I have thought of all those things if not more. My surgery is next week and I am trying really hard to shove the what if's away.

Cheers (clinking glasses of yummy Protein shake) and hears to keeping our hair.< /p>

I know you said you hated fish. Have you tried Tilapia? It is one kind of fish and I am not into any other kinds of fish. I actually gag when my DH makes tuna salad. Blah! He talked me into trying this Tilapia kind and much to my suprise (and dismay as he is ALWAYS right LOL) I like it, Maybe you could give it a try before your surgery if you are not already on the fabulous full liquid thing. It comes in the freezer section and we just thaw and throw it on the George Foreman grill. Just a thought, I know what its like trying to get in all your Protein when you can't/don't want to eat certain kinds of meat. I was a vegetarian for years because any meat just grossed me out. And for the other things on your list (except the hair thing) I am laughing with you not at you as I have thought of all those things if not more. My surgery is next week and I am trying really hard to shove the what if's away.

Cheers (clinking glasses of yummy Protein shake) and hears to keeping our hair.< /p>

Hummm, I will try that! what grosses me out about fish is the "fishy" taste.. Like nasty lake Water almost. Tuna doesn't have that taste as bad as other fishes do, but if Tilapia doesn't have that taste, I might try it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Luckily I don't have to do the liquid diet. My doctor only requires the SouthBeach diet 7-10 days before surgery. He says it does the same thing for you that the liquid diet does. I haven't started it yet, but I've just been more cautious of what I've been eating for the last two weeks and have lost 4 pounds... though I did just have my last biscuit and gravy and boy was it good!! LOL.. god, I'm going to miss those biscuits and gravy.

I don't like fishy fish, either. Cod and Tilapia are pretty mild.

I'm super freaked out about hair loss, too. I don't have that much to begin with! LOL

Me either girl! I notice most bandsters chop off all their hair around 4-5 months out, which is probably because their hair thins out some, so I just cut mine short last week anyway.. lol. my hair is SUPER thin... UGG.

Me either girl! I notice most bandsters chop off all their hair around 4-5 months out, which is probably because their hair thins out some, so I just cut mine short last week anyway.. lol. my hair is SUPER thin... UGG.

I know most do, including me :smile: I cut 14inches off to a chin length bob, and love every minute of it. I had a LOT of hair tho, and when I started working out it felt heavy/sweaty and I seemed to have it up all the time. There was no thinning - I used my hair to hide my weight, and when my cheek bones came in and I lost the double chin...I wanted to cut it all off..

Crystal did you have your pre-testing at the hospital yet? You and I are being banded the same day, and I did all that on Monday and then today I went to pay what my insurance won't (fortunately it was $783 and not higher). Anyways, I've been so moody and spacy eversince Monday. The reality that I am going to actually do this and all of the questions you have above are racing through my head, along with the failure questions. I think I have a lot to keep me distracted until then, my kids will be on winter break next week and my house needs to be cleaned for a birthday party next week. Fortunately I will only have a pre op diet for 2 days, Saturday full liquid, and Sunday Clear Liquids, so not to miserable. Its just my nerves kicking in high gear!!!! UHHHHHH, I just want it overwith already!!!!!!

Alyssa and Crystal! I'm have the same date as both of you guys. I have two full weeks of Opti-fast. I'm only on day 3... I'm not nervous yet, just excited about all of the positive changes coming! I lost 5.5 lbs in 2 days. I've spent the whole time in the bathroom! <sorry, tmi> I've finished all my dr appts and am now just waiting for the big day!

Cindy

Valvinnek - I had my pre-op which consisted of discussing everything and signing paperwork, then I went to my PCP to do all my bloodwork and EKG and everything was normal.. I haven't even discussed the payment yet. I think I have to pay 1,000 for my insurance. Well, I can't pay over 1,000. that's the max amount... So, I have that in savings waiting to spend it.. I wonder if I should already go pay it. Ugg, I'm suppose to be on my "monthly cycle" during this surgery.. NOT FUN.

Minock - that's so cool that we all have the same date!! We should all three come on and post as soon as the surgery is over.. I hope we all do well! That sucks you have to do the Optifast.. if you feel the need to cheat, just eat a piece of grilled chicken or can of tuna.. Since there are no carbs in those. I'm not saying TO cheat, but my doctor said that he stopped the liquid diet because people always cheated and does the SB now.. so, in case you are tempted to, eat one of those things and it will help at least.

Luluc - that makes TOTAL sense now that I think about it.. if you are losing and working out a lot, it would probably get in the way.. My shorter haircut makes my face look thinner! I love it.

Cindy & Crystal, do either one of you have to spend the night at the hospital? I do, my surgeon doesn 't do it outpatient yet. I am also having my gall bladder out at the same time ( that's something I've been putting off for years!).