Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all (former) grazers

I've known for some time that I am considered a "grazer" - many women

are.

I don't usually eat huge portions at a sitting, but I do feel a "need"

to munch every few hours.

How has the Lap-Band helped you overcome your grazing habits? What

things should I keep in mind to prepare myself for a live w/ Lap-Band

and without grazing?

Thanks!

Nikki

I was a grazer--but also had serious issues with portion size.

The band has changed both! I still have times I feel like I am grazing....but when I stop and look at things, it is usually less so than I think! I will snack on one of the 100 calorie packs of chips Ahoy, or Ritz or something while I am reading----and suddenly I am full and I think OMG---then I realize it is a 100 calorie pack, and it is not empty----I used to eat half a bag of regular chips or something!

Now if I am empty---that one bag of 100 cal Snacks would not "fill" me up. But when I am craving something sweet after dinner, or when I want something salty...they work, and it feels normal to me!

I know they recommend no snacking at all---I am getting better, I have gone days with none, eating my meals and that being it---but other days it is back to me, being me, and I eat them! I also keep almonds, and oranges, and cheese sticks or wedges, on hand---and I snack on them.

The difference for me is in the fact that I am no longer hungry--starving--all the time. So when the craving hits---I can walk to the kitchen, and make a wise choice in what I want to eat, not rush in there ravenous, and grab the first thing I can lay my hands on! And those things are still in my house, I have a husband, and grandkids, there are ALWAYS sweets, and chips and junk in my house---BUT I am able to walk past them to the other things....the band gives me that control!

Slowly but surely the food in our house is changing--DH and my granddaughter now eat lots of MY food----so I buy more of it, less of the other. Now if I could get my grandson in line with us!!! But he subsists on junk at home, and if I don't have it here for him, my DIL brings it for him!!! We'll get there!

Welcome to LBT!!

Kat

hi Nikki,

i used to graze all day long. the band has helped me in the volume i graze, but it does take some discipline some days.

i dont eat 3 meals a day, i eat 5-6. but they are small meals

ie - today

b - Atkins shake

snack (if needed) atkins shake

l - 2 oz chicken w/ salsa

s - nuts maybe

d - 2-3 oz sausage

i think the key is not to get HUNGRY... if i allow myself to get really hungry i eat too quickly and that results in a PB.

good luck