Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need a swift kick in the...

So here I am almost 3 weeks out of surgery... and I don't exercise, at all. Nothing, zip, nada. To be honest I never even really walked much during the post op gas phase because I didn't really have to. So here I am with a Curves membership that I have had since last hmmm June (did I mention I only went for like a month when I had it lol) and an elliptical sitting in my living room yet you think I have gotten up/out to use either? Nope not at all. So obviously I have a LAZYNESS issue (duh, that's how I got fat haha) but can anyone give me some pointers on how to kick myself in the @$$ and get on it? :smile2:

It is so tough to get in the exercise mode. I once heard that once you do anything for 30 days, it becomes a habit. I think that is true, because that is what happened to me with my treadmill. I used to dread it, but now, I go into panick mode if I don't do it.

When I was working on getting myself into the habit, I set reminders on my blackberry to exercise. Then, if I was really good and met my exercise goal for the week, I would reward myself. I let my family all know what my goal was and what my reward was so I couldn't cheat. I looked forward to getting a manicure, a new shirt, things like that.

BLAH...I hate to exercise. I even have a treadmill I stare at every time I go into the livingroom.....I wish I could stick with it long enough for it to become a habit....30 days huh! I will give it a try...........I know exercise would help.

I totally hear you. I am not an exercise person at all. However, I joined a gym with a co-worker/friend and that has helped a lot. We make each other go and we yack the whole time and the time flies!

I put the bike in the living room and stare at it too, but if I am sitting on the couch too long, I get on the bike for 15 minute intervals, but for only 4 times a nite.

I walk too, but its been too damn cold here in NYC to walk outside.

Just do it was my motto in the early days. Just fricking do it. Get on, do the half hour, get it out of the way. I soon discovered its MUCH easier to force yourself to do half an hour on the treadmill than it is to avoid the cheesecake in the fridge all day. Tired or not, busy or not, I just bloody did it. Sooner or later, you get really fit, you start kicking real goals, things you thought you could NEVER do and one magical day, motivation strikes and you're an exerciser. I never have to force myself now, I have to force myself to take REST days!

If you want to be one of the "lost only 60% of excess weight" statistics, then sitting on your behind and not exercising is a pretty sure fire way to become just that.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

And Jachut you're right just frickin do it. My thing is when I get home from work that's the last thing on my mind. So, tomorrow I get up a few min early and get my ass on that elliptical and go. I think I will start easy with 10 minutes, my poor muscles will probably die if I do too much right away - I'll let ya know how it goes!

Ang....how about a challenge. That is what I always need to get going and, like you, I haven't been exercising like I should even though I know it will help and make me feel better. I challeng you to one week of exercise, at least 10 minutes per day. I will check in and see how you are doing and we will try to keep each other motivated--sound like a plan? Usually if I tell someone I will do something I feel guilty if I don't.....what do you think?

I love the elliptical if I get my butt to the gym, but there is not one within walking distance of my house or office that I belong to, and the thought of driving there at 6am, and then having to find a parking space so I can go to work makes me not go.

So I do walk in NYC when the weather is tolerable, 40's is the lowest temp I walk in and then do the stationery bike at home. Last night I used it to hang clothes on that I brought up from the basement that need to be ironed.

Ang....how about a challenge. That is what I always need to get going and, like you, I haven't been exercising like I should even though I know it will help and make me feel better. I challeng you to one week of exercise, at least 10 minutes per day. I will check in and see how you are doing and we will try to keep each other motivated--sound like a plan? Usually if I tell someone I will do something I feel guilty if I don't.....what do you think?

Sounds like a plan. I got up a bit early today (and I'm soooo sleepy right now) and did 5 minutes on my elliptical, figured I would start with 5min at a time or my poor leg muscles may be Jello and I may not be moving oh so swiftly tomorrow, so I will do another 5minutes when I get home. What is your plan to exercise? Do you have a machine of sorts? Going to go for walks?:scared2:

Yay Ang!!! Slow and steady wins the race! Starting out slow is great. I started getting in shape pre-op and I walked really slowly and only for shorts amount of time and then I added a few more minutes and made the pace a little faster when I felt ready for it. It's the only way to do it or else you'll just give up!

We'll start a Knockouts Exercise Challenge for March! I figured we wouldn't do a Feb. challenge because while some of us (like myself) were at the beginning on Jan, there would have been a bunch of people who would be only a week or 2 out of surgery.

Ang, I would be careful about going to Curves because even though it's not "weightlifting" per se, I would still consider it as such and I was told to wait 6 weeks for weightlifting and such.

Right now I'm using the treadmill and I plan to start back with the weight machines in a week or 2.. I also get a decent amount of walking in during the day because I have to walk across campus to get to and from my classes!

Yay Ang!!! Slow and steady wins the race! Starting out slow is great. I started getting in shape pre-op and I walked really slowly and only for shorts amount of time and then I added a few more minutes and made the pace a little faster when I felt ready for it. It's the only way to do it or else you'll just give up!

We'll start a Knockouts Exercise Challenge for March! I figured we wouldn't do a Feb. challenge because while some of us (like myself) were at the beginning on Jan, there would have been a bunch of people who would be only a week or 2 out of surgery.

Ang, I would be careful about going to Curves because even though it's not "weightlifting" per se, I would still consider it as such and I was told to wait 6 weeks for weightlifting and such.

Right now I'm using the treadmill and I plan to start back with the weight machines in a week or 2.. I also get a decent amount of walking in during the day because I have to walk across campus to get to and from my classes!

Thanks, I am not looking forward to the exercise but I am looking forward to losing the weight so I guess I'll suck it up when it comes to the exercise - put my big girl panties on (soon to hopefully be small girl panties hehe) and do it. Just do it.

You're right - I don't want to get back to Curves right away as I think that will be a bit much so I was planning on when I get my first fill getting the docs a-okay to go back (that would be at approximate 5-6weeks), until then I will just be friends with my elliptical. Other than that I don't get much exercise, I have a sit down desk job and in the evenings I go home and mess around on my computer. Although once we are out of the winter/rainy spring my DF and I are going to get going for walks in nice weather.

:tt2::mad:

I think the idea for March is a great one, and I do agree that February would have been a bit soon. :tongue: Good plan, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

OK Ang, I'm 52 years old and you are 25. I have been walking most days for 40 minutes. I walked 20 minutes the day I came home from the hospital. If you don't just do it, you will get very loose skin. I am beginning to enjoy it. And my dogs love it too. So its good for all of us. When I don't feel like doing it outside I walk on my elliptical for 40 minutes and watch some show or movie if nothing is good on. I feel really good afterwards. You have got to make yourself exercise or you will stop loosing weight. This has to become a lifetime habit. So think about it. This is not magic. This is a tool. You have got to follow the rules or it won't work. Protein first, 64 oz Water, NO Snacking and at least 30 mintues if exercise most days. Now get up and JUST DO IT!!!! Diane:)