Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello you guys!!! I am in the process of getting insurance approval for my surgery and I had a couple of questions I'm hopeing you can help me with!!!

• What are some of the important things to do BEFORE your surgery?
  • What are some things you WISH you would have done?
  • What kind of equipment did you have to buy if any?
  • What about food? We haven't talked about this in the office as of yet but I'm sill very curious.
  • How do you keep from getting stopped up???
  • Am I going to get to drink lots of Water when I don't eat?

Sorry for all the questions, I could go on and on and on! I'm just so excited for my new lifestyle change!

Never apologize for asking questions---the better prepared you are the better off you are!!

What are some of the important things to do BEFORE your surgery?

Ask lots of questions of your surgeon and his office, be well prepared---know what they expect of you each step of the way.

Stock your cupboards---run any errands---get things settled so you can take a few days off torecover.

What are some things you WISH you would have done?

I wish I had not gone so hog wild buying up Protein drinks etc. I wish I had taste tested more, and decided on a few to have on hand, instead of still having some in the cupboard almost 2 years later!!

What kind of equipment did you have to buy if any?

I did not have to buy any kind of equipment, although a nice blender is good to have on hand.

As for like medical equipment---I needed none---I do recommend using a dining chair next to your bed to help leverage up and down out of the laying position with. But no special equipment there!!

What about food? We haven't talked about this in the office as of yet but I'm sill very curious.

What about food? LOL! In the first weeks following surgery---all dependent on the Dr. as to how long---you will be on liquids only. Usually beginning with clear liquid---water, tea, broth, juice---I used a lot of Zero Carb Isopure drinks because they were clear, and had high (40g) Protein per bottle---bought them at GNC. Then after the Clear Liquids, you move to full liquids--protein shakes, cream Soups et. the blender comes in handy here. Usually they consider full liquids anything that will fit through a straw. Then on to mushies---mashed potatoes, cottage cheese, soft cooked veggies, like carrots---anything really soft to digest, and finally then on to adding in regular foods.

There are several threads devoted solely to foods and the stage you are in.

How do you keep from getting stopped up???

Well often times the pain meds given after surgery cause Constipation, but once that wears off it is not an issue. It is usually the other way around. What is referred to around here as liquid in = liquid out. It passes with additions to the diet.

After normal diet resumes, your body sometimes just has to go less frequently with the lower food intake, but trying to keep Fiber intake up helps.

Am I going to get to drink lots of Water when I don't eat?

Yes!!! Lots of Water is a good thing. Just not usually for a half an hour before or after your meal---times dependent upon individual Dr.'s. Keeping well hydrated is one of the best things you can do for yourself!

If you have any more questions---be sure to ask---better to know!

Welcome!

Kat

hi, welcome to LBT.

What are some of the important things to do BEFORE your surgery?

- take pictures. preferably in something that fits maybe a tad snug. take it in a location where you can gauge your progress. for example, i took mine in front of a door. you can see the door getting 'bigger' each month :cursing:. i do regret not taking pics of me in just a bra/panties (shudder)

- what not to do - no need for a bunch of 'last meals'. with a band, most people can eat a little of anything. some have problems with eggs or chicken or beef or something, but that is normally when they are properly restricted

What are some things you WISH you would have done?

- see above about the less clothed pics ...

- i wish i would have done it sooner

What kind of equipment did you have to buy if any?

- none

What about food? We haven't talked about this in the office as of yet but I'm sill very curious.

- i eat pretty much whatever i want. i have problems with solids in the mornings, but i just do a shake and am very satisfied until lunch.

How do you keep from getting stopped up???

- ??? are you taking about Fiber sort of stopped up or something else?

Am I going to get to drink lots of Water when I don't eat?

- i have a water bottle with me 19 hours out of the day and sip all day long. i usually drink about 80 ounces a day.

good luck!

Hopefully your doctor will give you explicit instructions as to what exactly you need to do. My doctor gave me so much info (we had to attend pre-op classes) I felt very confident going in and had everything ready. If they don't offer you all the education, ask lots of questions. Most of what you'll need has been written already in the above posts. For me personally the best thing I did was get off caffeine slowly before the surgery so I didn't have that post surgery killer headache.