Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal Hernia anyone?

HI

My surgeon thinks I may have a hiatal hernia. I'm getting the scope down my throat this Wed so he wont have a surprise during band surgery. He said it would be an easy fix if I have one and would do it during the LBS.

Has anyone had this?

Is it really a no-brainer to fix?

Was everything fine after recovery?

Thanks

I had a large one and he fixed mine during surgery. Now I have no more reflux!!!!!

:cursing:

Me too! I knew I had one (because I had an endoscopy a few years previous) when I went to the surgeon and he fixed it and yup no more reflux! I might have additional swelling after surgery, but that's it!

Same thing here. I have known I have had one for years and have had two scopes to monitor it to make sure that there were no problems with it but my gastro opted to treat it with medication rather than operate to repair it. Heaven forbid I forget to take that medication. I could never just take OTC, the only thing that worked was Aciphex which is $180 a month!

My lap band surgeon also repaired my hiatal hernia during surgery (I have pix and everything! LOL) and according to him it was huge! Last night I moved from our third bedroom where I had been recovering post-op (there is an adjustable bed in there) and slept in our bed for the first time since surgery. I have had to sleep on a foam wedge for years as well due to the horrible GERD (even with medication sometimes). Last night I decided to try sleeping without the wedge and slept like a rock. No waking up with acid in my throat. It was awesome! I hear that big hernias can sometimes come back over time but I sure hope mine doesn't. I'm very pleased! The only additional side effect it caused was some soreness in my left shoulder/neck area and that was worse last night. Not bad, just felt like a muscle strain. It has something to do with the proximity of the esophagus to the diagphragm and the tendons that are attached to the shoulder/neck area. (Ask your doctor LOL)

Also, don't fret about the scope. It sounds worse than it is. You don't remember a thing. One second you are falling asleep and the next you are waking up. It's a breeze.

I had a Hiatal Hernia for years before my lapband. I also had a scope done before my surgery. They said it is something they could fix easily while performing the surgery. They fixed me right up and all is good now.

My story is similar to JaxBandster.

Same here. For years I ate tums like candy. Then was prescribed ranitadine, and was taking that twice a day. Dr found the hiatal hernia during surgery (in my pre-op interview he said he was sure he'd find one). He fixed it with no problems. I haven't had to take anything for heartburn, GERD or acid reflux since. That was almost as good as the weight loss results from the band.

This for me didn't even come up until the surgeon questioned me on acid reflux, etc. I do get heartburn once or twice a week which just started a couple of years ago. I was describing to him that I lost weight while pregnant and always had a "full feeling" or indigestion. I get that on occasion now....in fact it started last night and is still bothering me. It is not very painful, more like uncomfortable....feels like a rock is stuck in my stomach, right below my sternum. No food in particular seems to cause it. Since I was never diagnosed or scoped earlier, does that sound like symptoms anyone had?

Glad about sleeping through the scope.

After surgery my Dr told me I had one and he fixed it. I didn't know before then.

Ditto for me. I had bad acid reflux and have not had any since April 10,2007, the day of surgery.