Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I wrong for wanting Lap Band

Here's my stats.

Current Weight: 203 pounds

Height: 5’2”, small build

BMI: 37.1

To get to my goal weight of 125lbs I've got to loose 78lbs. I feel I should have been able to do it with diet but I just don't have the will power or something. I feel that my need isn't really great enough. I've been struggling with my weight since I was 16 (now 27) and it's just getting worse. Is wanting lap band now wrong?

Not in my opinion. I was 224 and 5'4.5", about the same BMI as you. I'm 5 weeks post-op and very happy with my decision!

Good luck to you!

I'm not banded yet, but close to your BMI. Keep reading this forum and researching it. At the LB seminar I attended, the nurse said that once your BMI gets into the 30's it is MUCH harder to lose the weight than lower BMI's. Which from my experience seems to be true! I'm going for it. I started looking into the procedure last summer and went to the seminar in August. I am going through the Dr appts now to get insurance approval. On that subject, have you checked to see if your insurance covers the procedure? Learn as much as you can, make the decision for yourself, and you can always change your mind.

I'm a federal employee so the FED BCBS is supposed to cover it, so I was told by the surgeon's nurse. I want to do it I was worried I wasn't heavy enough. But with being so short being heavy looks so bad and makes me feel like a fatty bouncy ball.

Thank you both for your imput.:cursing:

Don't get discouraged if you get turned down the first time. I'm a Fed employee with BC/BS also. They turned me down because they said with BMI between 35-40, you had to have at least one of the following comorbidities, heart disease, lung disease, sleep apnea. I didn't have any, but I had plenty of other stuff.

I ended up having to write a letter of appeal, I wrote 2 letters actually and got letters of support from all my doctors, GYN, Gastroenterologist, Pediatrist, GP, and surgeon. Each told how losing weight would help the problem that they treat me for. I was approved after filing the appeal.

I've heard people say that some insurance companies automatically turn you down on the first try.

Good luck you.

Hi there, I had my band done in May 2007. I weighed 205 and am 5'2. I was turned down from BC/BS but had it done anyway. I don't regret it at all. I had some other physical problems but for me I came to the decision because of all the emotional ups and downs. Good Luck to you!

Michelle

The surgeon I've choose actually removed my gall bladder in Nov 2006 due to gall stones which he contributed to me being overweight. I'm hoping that will still count as an additional medical condition since it almost killed me because a stone got into my gall duct. I'm not diabetic because of it though.

I've heard about the automatic turn down too. And it doesn't sound like its hard to get approved on appeal. I'm crossin' my fingers!

You are most definitely NOT wrong for wanting the band. I am 5'1" and was 210 with a BMI of 39 when I was banded. It is great. As you stated it keeps getting worse so don't wait until you've gained more weight.

Good luck on your journey.

When you feel you have no control over food and am willing to exercise and eat right again then you are right for lapband. You do have quite a bit to lose so I would agree this is the right decision for you. Good luck. I love my band.

Hey SuzanneG,

I'm going to Dr Bautista over at St Mary's in Richmond, VA.

I almost made an appointment with him because I was having a hard time getting a surgery date with Richmond Surgical, but they came through in the end.

I was at St. Mary's also.

Best of luck to you!:cursing:

Just tell the Dr. you're 5'1" that will raise your BMI a little or slouch a little if they measure you.

And lots of people overestimate their height, so have someone check it for you.

I used to be five feet and 1/2 inch, but I guess I shrunk, becasue now I'm five feet even. My highest weight was 230, but at surgery I was around 216.

For now I ahve my goal weight set at 140. Not sure I can get and stay lower than that at my age. I'll re-evaluate my final goal weight later.

I'm going to the seminar next wednesday with my mom whose thinking about it too, we're about the same hieght but she's a bit heavier and has been as long as I can remember. I found out that I'm 16 lbs from being at 40 bmi so I'm going to push that little fact with the insurance company. I really want to do this so I'm going to fight to do it. If it turns into self pay so be it. I want to be healthy so my little girl won't be like me.

I ended up self-pay because I was not fat enough. Whatever!!!! It was the best decision. No regrets at all.

Good luck!