Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for my surgeon... pre-op. What did you ask or wish you had?

Hi Everyone! I'm meeting with my surgeon Tuesday morning for my pre-pre-op visit. This is my initial meeting since being approved and scheduled. My surgery is on 2/25.

I'm putting together my list of questions to ask and am afraid that I will miss something. I'll be reading posts throughout the day to get more ideas, but anything, especially the random ones, that you could think of would be a great help.

I want to be sure I know all I need to going in about the type of band I will get and/or options of appliances, questions about fill procedures later and what to expect, etc. etc.

My 18 months of reseach is suddenly culminating in this actual visit and now that the surgery is actually here... I'm feeling a bit scatterbrained :huh2:actuallly prepping for my consult.

Thanks, everyone!

Congrats on your approval Jane!

Let's see...start with the basics:

How many lap bands have you done?

What is your complication rate?

What type of band do you use?

How do you determine which size to use?

What type of port? Is a low profile port an option?

Where will you place that port?

How do you close the incisions? Stitches? Glue? Staples? Steri strips?

If it is something that has to be removed, how long do they stay in?

Will you have your band placed in a hospital or a surgery center?

Will you have an overnight stay? Or how long?

If you do, is there someplace for a companion to stay with you?

Will you be sent home with pain meds?

Is there something you can take to keep the pain meds from causing Constipation?

What type of post op diet does he recommend?

What is his/her recommendations on Protein amounts and types?

Do you take meds you need to figure out? Can you crush a pill, or get liquids?

How do you determine when it is time for a first fill?

Are fills done under fluoro?

Does he/she do the fills or does an assistant?

Is there a way to reach someone 24/7 for emergency?

As you visit with the Dr. some of these will automatically be answered, and you will think of others as you talk!!!

Good Luck on the 25th!!

Kat

Awesome post! I am having my pre-op apt. tomorrow and was wandering the same I am sched. for 2/18/08. so thank you for the question and thanks for the great response!

I hope WABB does not have a problem with me forwarding to you her excellent list of questions. I realize you are not going to MX, but the information is invaluable just the same and gives you further guidance in questions to ask---it is your body, and your health, you cannot be too well informed.

Kat

Thanks WABB!!

CHECKLIST FOR CALLING SURGEONS IN Mexico

Print one copy for each MD office you call to compare what each surgeon has to offer.

• Surgeon’s Name:
  • City:
  • Distance from US border:
  • Coordinator:
  • Dealing with surgeon’s office or booking agency?
  • Agency name (if booking agency is used):
  • Does the doctor have his own email list/message board for his patients?
  • If so, what is the address?
  • Total fees:
  • Are fills included?
  • If fills are included, how many and for how long?
  • Airport you will be flying to?
  • Is transportation included?
  • If included, what kind of transportation is it?
  • Who answers the phone during off business hours? (Call in the middle of the night to verify this.)
  • Will I need to do a pre op diet?
  • If so, what does it consist of?
  • Will I need to do a post-op diet?
  • If so, what does it consist of?
  • Is surgery performed in a hospital or clinic?
  • Will I stay in a hotel the night before surgery?
  • Is the price of the hotel included?
  • How many hours will I be in the hospital/clinic after surgery?
  • Will I go to a hotel after surgery?
  • Is that price included?
  • If I go to a hotel after surgery, how long will I be there?
  • How many visits from the surgeon or nurse will I receive after surgery?
  • Specifically, which pre-op testing will be done? (Testing should be done before surgery, not during, and should include the following tests: CBC, chem. panel, UA, chest x-ray, and EKG.)

• Specifically, what post-op testing will be done? (Should be at least a barium swallow. A US facility cannot be a Center of Excellence without this test after surgery, and it is considered routine for most doctors.)

• Will I be given all my pre-op and post-op test results to take home to give to my doctor? (Should be surgical report, band serial number, all labs, EKG, and films from barium swallow.)

• Does the surgeon open me, place the band, and close me, or does the assistant surgeon do most of this? Will my surgeon be in the operating room during the entire procedure?

• Is all staff in the operating room licensed?
  • How many licensed doctors?
  • How many licensed nurses?
  • How long has the doctor been placing bands? (Not performing bariatric surgery, RNY, or laparoscopic procedures, but actual bands.)

• What brands does the surgeon use?
  • Is the doctor Inamed or Johnson & Johnson certified?
  • Is the doctor certified in bariatric surgery in Mexico? (You MUST verify this, do not rely on their response.)

• How many bands has the doctor placed as the lead surgeon? (If this is an unknown number that usually means the stats are combined with someone else’s or he was the assistant surgeon and stood there while the actual surgeon placed the bands.)

• How many bands of each brand has the surgeon placed? (If the doctor claims they have placed 2500 Inamed bands yet have only purchased 200 bands from Inamed, you know they are inflating their statistics.)

• Statistics: (Don't let them combine stats for a total "complication" figure as that artificially lowers one of the stats and means they are hiding something. Demand specific numbers for each complication.)

• What are their infection statistics? (Should be less than 1%.)

• What are their slip statistics? (Should be less than 3%.)

• What are their erosion statistics? (Should be less than 1.3%.)

• How many Gastric Bypass procedures has the doctor done? (Goes to show skill level with tricky procedures.)

• How many Gastric Sleeve procedures has the doctor done? (Again, shows skill level with tricky procedures.)

• How many revisions from bypass to band has the doctor done? (Again, shows skill level with tricky procedures.)

Goal in 10 months!!! -103lbs

Alberto Aceves/Mexicali, Mexico

"How to research a Mexican doctor" go to:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f11/resea...s-101-a-43575/

I wish I knew more about how to get good restriction early on including fills. It has taken me forever to get the right restriction. Because of that I have maintained for probably 6 months. I just got another fill last week and I do have better restriction so we'll see if the weight loss starts again. Good luck.

I wish I knew more about how to get good restriction early on including fills. It has taken me forever to get the right restriction. Because of that I have maintained for probably 6 months. I just got another fill last week and I do have better restriction so we'll see if the weight loss starts again. Good luck.

Do you know what size band you got? If you got a 14cc it will take more fills before you find your sweet spot. I am hoping my stomach can handle a 10cc band, but I think my doc only does 14cc's.

wow- thanks so much for the super-helpful post. I swear it seems like now that the big day is finally here, I'm too anxious to think straight. This is such a big help! Congrats on your amazing success! I have to say, without this site, and the success I see everytime I log on, I would almost certainly be thinking about bypass instead.