Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not so sunny Florida..

Sign in to follow this  

The weather is beautiful, the birds are singing, my family is gathered around a homemade peach cobbler.. and I'm at home alone. I was banded on 2/04/08. It has been easy and nearly pain free. Today I am a lil blue about the future, and feeling sorry for myself that I can't enjoy the food that I once did, and angry with myself that I'm not enjoying anything else! I don't know anyone that has gone through this before and don't have much of a support system sooooo.. I was hoping to meet some new friends on here that would help me get through this trying time. So whadda ya say? Friends?

Hey Movin On, I cannot say I completely understand what you are going through since I am yet to be banded. I am three months into my pre-op prep. I am totally keeping myself off of anything that's a no-no so I can lose b/4 my surgery. Today I made a tuna hotdish, chili and a hamburger/tomato casserole for my son's freezer (he doesn't cook and momma makes it easy for him to just go to his home after work and have a meal to nuke). It's tough when everything smells so good and everyone else is enjoying a good meal and I'm sitting there eating spinach and broth. But, there's a bright side to this. I am going to be healthy and thin and get my life back.

Another thing....it's -17 degrees where I live. Forget about the peach cobbler...enjoy the sun! Good luck and hang in there.

I think I understand what you are feeling, I'm a bit blue myself, though I'm not sure why. I went through the same thing after I had my gall bladder out. Maybe going through surgery is the cause? Try to think positive. You'll probably start feeling happier when you see some good results! Hang in there and be proud of yourself!

I think I understand what you are feeling, I'm a bit blue myself, though I'm not sure why. I went through the same thing after I had my gall bladder out. Maybe going through surgery is the cause? Try to think positive. You'll probably start feeling happier when you see some good results! Hang in there and be proud of yourself! :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words! I guess I am just realizing how much I centered my "happiness" around food. I have to figure out how to enjoy new things now..

I think feeling a bit blue after surgery is to be expected. You were so excited and filled with both anticipation and nerves prior to the surgery, that once you have it and are at home and in recovery mode, it seems a bit of a let down. During the liquid and mushy stages, you may mourn a bit over food. However, once you get back to a "normal" diet, I think you will find that you can eat most anything, just in smaller quantities. You can still treat yourself and do so comfortably with the knowledge that your band will keep you from over-indulging.

Movin on

I can definitely relate to you right now. I had my surgery on the 7th so we are pretty close. Tonight my husband will bring home Taco Bell for himself and my daughter. I'd about kill for real food right now but instead am still on Clear Liquids until tomorrow and then will only be on Protein Shakes three times a day until Friday when I can transition to soft foods. I also had a VERY close relationship with food. I love my carbs and I love the taste of food period! So much so that two full plates was within my range of consumption and hence why I am where I am today.

Part of this process is that we have to change the way we look at food. Change our entire relationship with food. Eating has become such a pleasurable thing for us that it has become unhealthy. Much like an alcoholic, some people can drink and not have it interfere with their lives, others can't. We are like those people. It's a difficult thing to digest (no pun intended). Add to that the depressive aspects of surgery, general anesthesia and pain medications and things aren't looking too cheery right now.

All I can recommend is to try and keep focused on the big prize and not the immediate gratification that food offers us. We will eventually be able to eat food again (yes even peach cobbler on occasion) but we will eat very differently than we used to in terms of both quantity and quality. We will eat healthier and be healthier as a result. We will love what we see in the mirror instead of loathing it. We won't have to struggle to get off a couch or be ashamed of our size for any reason.

This period of time (the first month) is probably the most difficult for us. Hang in there, hook up with other people who were banded in February (there is a great group of people in the February 08 support group), who can relate to what you are going through.

We will both get through this while enjoying sunny Florida!!!

Hugs!