Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traveling after surgery

Hi everyone, I am in the process of having the band and am trying to decide when is the best time for surgery. I would of course like to have it as soon as possible, but I have some work obligations and travel coming up. How soon after the surgery can you travel? It is a 5 hour car ride and I won't have a great deal of lifting to do or anything. Any advice?

Check w/ your dr to make sure.

A 5 hour car ride should be ok after 2 weeks. I flew on a plane for a 4 hour trip 2 weeks after surgery.

After two weeks, I would think a five hour car ride would be fine. I would allow time to periodically get out and move a little, but I think you should be fine.

3 weeks after surgery I went to France for 2 weeks. I dont think I personally would attempt a long trip much before 2 1/2 - 3 weeks out. The only pain in the neck was the food situation with the special diet I was on. Other than that, in terms of energy and pain level I had no problems.

LOL...I took a 3-hour car trip home after having my surgery. And I take a 3-hour car trip home after each fill. When I was headed home from surgery, I had to stop every hour to get out and walk a bit. My surgeon and staff were well aware that I live 3 hours away. I think it's whatever you're comfortable with.

I had my surgury on Nov 20, 2007 and on December 13th I was on my way to Mexico for 3 weeks (five hour plane ride), didn't have any issues the only hard part was being so limited on what I could eat.

Hmmmm... I was also wondering about traveling after surgery. I am still waiting for insurace approval, but expect to hear from them shortly... But at the end of April I may have to travel for my job to India (I have no clue how long the plane ride is, but I expect it to be very long) I was wondering how that would work not only with the pain, but with limited diet. Of course from some of my co-works who went last year I have heard that the food wasn't that great so I guess atleast I wont have that as a temptation... but still that is a really looong way from home and if I end up having to go it will be for 3 to 4 weeks... should be interesting.

I just asked my surgeon this question today. I am being banded on the 25th and will be going on a 5 hour trip the following weekend. He just told me to stop every hour and walk around on the drive there. I plan on resting as much as possible while I'm there.

If I were traveling that soon after surgery, I'd be sure to bring packets of Protein Drink powder and such, just to be sure I had something in the event I couldn't find anything after I'd gotten to where I was going. But, at that point I imagine you'd be off the liquid diet, and mushies are a bit easier if you are creative.