Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flying - Unfill a good Idea?

I am going away for a short holiday, and will be flying. I am only half way on my loss journey, and so don't want to "pig out", and undo all my work. However, I will be travelling with my son who has no idea I had this surgery.

So I am seeking feed back on two fronts:

1. Your experience of the band and flying - mine will be a 7 hour flight soon, and I have a 23 hour journey at Christmas

2. I have never PB'd or gotten stuck, but with foreign food and unfamiliar territory, is the best course an unfill for my holiday?

I'd really appreciate your opinions and experiences :thumbup:

I was also banded in October 07 and have flown six times without any problems. I asked for either low fat or vegetarian meals on the plane. I also packed a few Protein shakes to take with me in case I had problems eating while I was away but I didn't have any problems at all.

Enjoy your holiday and congratulations on your weight loss so far...you are doing great.

I've not had problems flying. I don't think you need to worry.

As for foods it's easy to find Soups and eggs in most places.

As for your son, just tell him you're being careful about calories and avoiding carbs.

I'd not get unfilled. I'd just be very mindful.

HTH

physically it isn't supposed to make any difference in your band to fly. There are people who swear they get tighter but there is no scientific reason for that. You should be fine. Keep hydrated, though, dehydration is probably the bigger danger.

Hi,

I was banded in January of last year. Since then I've made at least 95 flights, including several overseas and a round-the-world voyage (14 flights in 9 days - UGH!) and didn't have any issues.

I think you'll be fine.

I searched online and found this under FAQ:

Lap Band Surgery, Minimally Invasive Bariatric Surgery to Lose Weight, Obesity Management Asia

What I don't understand is they say the band can be tighter in the morning,(changes in Water retention) but the band can't be tighter during flying.

so I'm guessing that some people that have problems with tightness might be flying in the morning or since the morning tightness is associated with Water retention, perhaps some people eat something before the flight that makes them retain water, they get tight and blame it on fyling instead of the food they ate??? Maybe they ate salty airport food?

I am flying soon, I think I will make sure not to eat something salty and I will stay well hydrated.

There are also old threads about this, that you can do an "advanced search" to find.

I am one of the people who "claims" to get tighter when I fly. Whenever I fly, I'm usually tighter than normal for the rest of the day. If it's a night time flight, the same thing still happens.

I would not get an unfill for the holiday, unless you were generally too tight. If you have trouble eating, just tell your son your stomach is a little unsettled.

I really appreciate all your replies.

This makes me feel a lot better. I did sort of feel it might be a bad time for an unfill, but thought I would check :)

Will, all those flights - man oh man!!!:crying:

It is sooo long since I've travelled in Asia, and well before the new reg's re taking fluids in your hand luggage, that I am already thinking dehydration! However, I am sure i'll manage.

I feelmuch more confident now I've read all your posts - thank you!

Coo - you should be able to take Water on your flight if you purchase it AFTER you've gone through all of the security checkpoints. I have done this when I've flown internationally. You know how there are usually little stores close to the boarding gates (like the stores that sell newpapers/magazines) - they sell Water.< /p>

I've also flown several times since I've had my band and haven't had a problem. I always pack portein powder and instant oatmeal in my check in luggage, just in case I do have a problem while on vacation.

My band generally is tighter in the morning. It strange though, without having a fill or unfill, sometimes it's tight, sometimes it's not -- don't know why. When I'm on vacation and am going out for Breakfast, I'll either have scrambled eggs or yogurt.

Hope this helps - enjoy your trip.

When I got my first fill on 2-7-08(last week), the doc was gatting some air bubbles out as he was putting the saline in .I asked why it was so important and he said that the air bubbles will expand when you fly.So ,maybe as long as you have no air in it ,you wouldn't have a problem.Good luck.I have never had the chance to fly.Enjoy your trip.