Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the Neighborhood

Hi, my name is Rana and I'll be 45 in just a few short weeks. After years of yo-yo dieting, I had a consultation with a wls surgeon. I weighed 247 when I saw him and he suggested RNY. Now I weigh 220, and I'm not sure if RNY is best for me. I am very disciplined, although my past has been every 2-3 yrs lose all my excess weight, then within 6 mo-1 yr. it's back, with some added. I am very confused about what to do, so I com to this forum to try to learn from those of you who have been there, done it, and have hind-sight wisdom.

Hi and welcome! I know what a hard decision this is for you - I had to make the same one and it was really tough. I qualified for both LB and GB. Unfortunately nobody can decide this for you. I can only tell you why I am glad I made the decision to have the band - I'm sure if you asked GB patients they would tell you they made the right choice!! Just get educated and you will do fine no matter which way you go.

So, why I chose the band over bypass...I love food and liked the fact that with the band there are no forbidden foods. (there are some foods that are hard for some people with the band but for the most part if you can eat it you can have it)I liked that the band did not permanently alter my digestive system. Everything remains the way God made it, I just have two pieces of extra hardware in there!! If something happens to me I can have it removed (or unfilled) The weight loss with the band tends to be slower than with GB. I think this is healthier and probably causes less hanging skin issues, although that probably depends more on how much weight you have to lose. I also liked the fact that the band is a restrictive tool not malabsorptive- in other words I get all the nutritional value out of every bit of food I eat. I don't have to take a lot of Vitamins to remain healthy, I can eat enough food to get the proper nutrients. The downside of the band for some people is that you have to do your part with the band. You will not just automatically lose weight like people with gastric bypass do. But it sounds from your post like you are pretty disciplined and can do it. I hope I have helped. I know this is a tough choice, but like I said, keep getting information and you will figure out which way to go. Does your doctor do both surgeries? That would be easier if you decided to go with the band. Hope all goes well for you!