Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Everybody!

Had my surgery on 2/1 and all went well. Some pain for two days, but nothing I couldn't handle. However, here is my problem. I am a left side/stomach sleeper. Since my port insicion is on the left side I have been told to avoid sleeping on my left side or stomach. So, my sleeping has suffered which I'm sure slows down recovery. I am so beat in the morning from lack of sleep. I was hoping someone might have a suggestion? I've tried the extra pillow thing...didn't help.:tongue2:

I had mine 2-1 too and have been sleeping on my left side. I am ok with it. For first few days was more the right than left and I was on lortab for first 3 but after that I am ok with it. Have you tried it?

I had mine 1/30. My incision however is on my right side (also the side I normally sleep on). I STILL can not sleep on it. I 've been trying the past couple of days but it just isn't happening. I saw my surgeon yesterday and he said having pain like that more than a week after surgery is not unheard of and he didn't seem to be too worried. I guess some people just heal much faster then others!

I was in the same situation, what helped me the most was a heating pad, I read that from someone else. I wrapped it around my side, it was uncomfortable at first, but after a few minutes the heat kind of numbs it.

I don't know what "the extra pillow thing" is, but I was able to side sleep by supporting my stomach with a pillow. Then again, my port is more centered than on the side.

Your surgeon's advice is good. The port is sewn into your body, and you need to give the sutures & area time to heal. sleeping on the side of the port & putting more pressure on it could complicate the healing process.

If you're losing sleep, I'd say don't worry about it too much. Rest. If you're not working, use a recliner or prop on a couch and rest during the day. Sleep won't win the race, but resting (e.g. not exerting physically) will be so important.

I had the same problem. I was banded on 1/28 and am just now being able to start sleeping on my side, even though it isn't entirely comfortable yet. For the first few days after the surgery, I slept on the couch, which I found was the best option because I could kind of wedge myself between the back of the couch and the seat of the couch (hope that makes sense). This gave me the support I needed and allowed me to be somewhat on my side without having to be all or nothing on my side.

But I have to be honest -- I didn't get a really good solid night's sleep until almost five days after the surgery. I think it's something that you'll just have to get through for the time being, knowing that you'll eventually get to the point where you can sleep comfortably. Try to go to bed early and schedule naps if possible to allow yourself to make up for the loss of sleep at night.

Take care!

The only way I could sleep the first week or so was on a recliner. I'm so glad we happened to have one. The other thing that helped was to lie on my right side and prop a pillow against my stomach to kind of support my port area. It took some doing but with my husband helping me I got some sleep. You don't have much longer to wait...you should be able to sleep on your left side soon.

I had surgery on Dec. 19 and I finally was able to sleep in my bed this past week (and only on my back). I have SUFFERED from intense muscle pain throughout this whole thing. Even shifting from one side to the other in bed caused incredible pain and tears. I know what you mean when you say your sleep has suffered. I can't remember the last time I slept six hours in a row. My only relief has come from a recliner. If you don't have one buy one. You will be thankful for it.