Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I'm new and need advice!

:) Hi guys! I've been researching this alot and I am thinking it is a good choice for me. I am rather intimidated though because I have notice that most of the people in here are bout in their 30's or 40's..I am only 19. I have been overweight almost all of my life. Vanity wise I am happy with myself, but I dont want to do it for vanity. In order to fullfill my dreams I need to lose weight and i've tried so many diets, nothing seems to work. In about 2 years or so i would like to join the United States Navy and to do so I need to lose about 100 or so pounds. Do you guys think I am too young for the surgery? Will I be able to have kids after the surgery? right now I weigh around 260 and I have a BMI of about 43.9. Thats is really high! I want to live a full and happy life. I need advice guys! thank you for your time and please be honest don't sugar coat anything. I am a big girl I can take it <---no pun intended HeHeHe

I know of a young woman that was only 17 when she had her band. She is now down quite a lot. So if it is ok with the surgeon you choose then I say go for it!

I'm 22 and I had the surgery done in July. Having kids will be easier for you when you are thinner. It's easier to concieve, etc. And, if they feel like you need to get mor nutrition in, they'll just loosen up your band a bit.

I think the band is a really great thing, for people of (just about) all ages!

:)

AIM: MysticTaeza

Thank you for the feedback. Hopefully I will get more feedback soon. Ive just made an appointment with my doctor so I can get a referall to a surgeon.

All the folks here who are in their 30s and 40s think wer'e still 19 or at least try to act it, so you fit in just fine.

The Navy? God Bless You. Sincere Thanks to you for your wish to serve this country in the armed forces. I hope you can go! Good for you.

Age 18 is official adult, right? You should have no problem, particularly with your BMI being over 40. You will be able to find a Doctor.

There is one gal on here who recently had a baby, do a search on "pregnant" and the like, you will find her, and she would love to talk with you and reassure you that having children on the band is possible. I think her name is Brandi? Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but she did solicit anyone interested to contact her about her pregnancy.

There is another thread in here somewhere titled "Any regrets?" (do a search) and one after another, people said their only regret was that they didn't do it sooner, or that it wasn't available when they were your age...

If your doctor is in agreement, you have done your research and are fully prepared for the lifestyle changes, the risks, the everything, I say go for it, but not until you know all you can find out about life after the Band.

Read, read read, here and other places too.

Welcome!

www.obestiycontrolcenter.com has several patient testimonials from teenagers. Maybe that will help you. Lots of teens are getting the band. Dr. Ortiz has placed several bands on teens.

http://www.obesitycontrolcenter.com/about_video.html

This site is a video clip of Ortiz and there is a clip about teenagers when he was on TV on the Wellness Hour

HI

I went to the Obesity Control Center and the day after my surgery, Dr. Ortiz came in and told me about how he was going in to do a 12 year old in a few minutes.

He was beaming with some kind of joy that he was able to make a 12 year olds dream of not being Obese anymore come true.

We talked about how some think its not right and HE thinks its a wonderful thing. He said some think all this pre counseling should be done, Ortiz said that kids dont want to be fat and thats the only 'problem' they have...

I love Dr. Ortiz.. HE is Soooooooo nice.

I cannot beleive how much personal attention I got from him. He is so happy and so friendly and caring and treats you so well, like your his friend... I am so used to being treated like crap... It was really really neat.

La_madam, did you love him or what?

If I had been able to I would definitely have gotten the band at age 19. What decades of pain that would have saved me!

One thing I'd wonder about, though, with regard to the Navy. I have no idea what the medical requirements are but you might want to find out if having an implanted device like the band might be a problem. Better find out now if that's a deal-breaker for you.

Good luck!

That is so true about the navy thank you for bringing that up I would never have thought of it. And also thank you to the rest of you guys for the help. I really appreciate it and it reassures me on my decision. I still have alot of thinking to do but this site is definitly helping me out alot. Also feel free to contact me on AOL instant messenger if you have anymore advice. My screenname is: Konphident23 (same as here)

Thank you guys again

-Konphident