Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Screwing Up

For the last four days I have really been messing up on my diet. I have been eating inappropriate foods, eating too much and too often. What's going on here? Do I need a fill? I feel guilty and bloated.

I had a birthday recently and I had cake and mexican food to Celebrate and I don't seem to be able to stop the celebration.

I need to get back on track but it seems like I am hungrier now that I have been indulging.

Any advice is appreciated!

starryeyed

Of course, you're hungrier after your celebration. This is the pattern of fat people. We lose control and then totally binge. Detox is in order!

Start on high Protein liquids for at least two days, just like after you had the surgery, progress to soft foods (mostly protein)2 days and then solid foods, again high protein for two days.

That should get you back on track before you gain more weight.

Well, you don't say when you were banded or how many fills you've had or when you're last fill was...but just judging by what you said, yes, it sounds like you need a fill.

Beyond that, and speaking from experience, once I give myself 'permission' to eat crap, it's hard to get back on track. Especially with the band because you can eat crap and not gain weight! (won't lose it either!) What happens with me is that my nutritional goals just go to hell and no way am I getting enough Protein and Fiber while I'm eating this way. It takes me awhile, but I eventually get it back together. That is much harder for some people than others...namely binge eaters and emotional eaters.

You know what to do, I'm not going to lecture you. But the motivation has to come from within yourself thru self-examination and a re-defining of your goals. Being a part of a support group like LBT is immensely helpful.

Be patient with yourself... it's a long and bumpy road.

Best of luck to you

I have been eating inappropriate foods, eating too much and too often. What's going on here? Do I need a fill? I feel guilty and bloated.

Fills don't make you eat the right foods. Since you say "messing up" I'm assuming you're eating to eat, and not eating because you're actually/truly hungry. If you can't get past mental pull to food, then all a fill will do is make you hurt when you continue to overeat or eat carelessly. If you're truly hungry so much that you're eating more than you think you should, then consider a fill, otherwise you could do a lot more harm than good.

This may sound remedial, but I would say that the next time you're compelled to eat, stop and ask yourself a few questions. Are you really and truly hungry? My morbidly obese mother will eat at dinner and an hour later she's saying "I'm starving!" Well, we all know that isn't the case, there's no way she's feeling true hunger, she's just feeling the need to eat. How do you feel mentally at the moment that you're compelled to eat? Are you "fine" - or are you upset/sad/stressed/etc. to where you're compelled to eat as an emotional release? Why are picking up the crap food over the good food? Do you have good food available or have you started to (perhaps subconsciously) stock up more on crap food? Are you having a craving? Are you after convenience? Etc.

Thanks for the replies, they are helpful and reminding me that I do NOT want to go back to my old ways. Overeating, whatever the reason, isn't the way I want to go through life anymore.

I was banded 11-01-07 and I have a 10 ml band. I had 4 ml put in at surgery and a 1 ml fill since then on 1-11-08. I had some restriction before the fill and good restriction after up until recently. I am going to reevaluate the level of restriction by getting back on a good schedule and eating the right foods.

I have had great success so far and I love the band! It seems like I am constantly re-learning that this is a new me.

starryeyed

But if you eat the wrong things then isn't it possible for A, B, and C to all happen and you might not need a fill?

Like too many soft carbs that don;t stay in the pouch, add calories and make you hungry?

But if you eat the wrong things then isn't it possible for A, B, and C to all happen and you might not need a fill?

Like too many soft carbs that don;t stay in the pouch, add calories and make you hungry?

:thumbup:YES!!!! If you're eating the RIGHT kinds of foods, and you're still eating too much, and not losing, and still hungry, then yes, a fill is in order. If it's that you're eating candy, Cookies, and crap, then it's a vicious cycle that needs to be reigned back in. Been there, done that.

That's what the OP said, she had cake and mexican food and couldn't get back on track! She didn't say she was eating the RIGHT food, so maybe she needs a fill and maybe not. I think she needs to eat solid Protein and then assess her hunger, before deciding if a fill is needed.

I'll skip the long scientific explanation this time but when you eat crap food, there's an actual response within the body that makes you crave more of it. So detox is definitely in order. It's hard, just like any detox, but as custom, it does get easier after a few days of getting the crap out of your system and allowing your system to get back to an equilibrium.

a. eating too much b. not losing and c. hungry then you need a fill.
I have to disagree with that. I can a) eat too much ice cream :glare: not lose and c) be hungry while also d) be too tight to get solids down. I can also a) eat too much, :eek: not lose and c) be hungry while d) just be really good at eating around the band, despite being tight. Just two examples, but in either of those, a fill is the last thing I need.

I would recommend a checklist closer to this. If you are:

a. Exercising/eating to ensure that your caloric consumption is greater than your caloric intake...

b. Feeling more actual hunger now than you were before (assuming you've been through a fill or so)...

c. Requiring larger portions to satisfy you now than you were before...

d. Able to pass foods you weren't previously able to pass...

e. Not feeling restriction when you eat (it does have a pretty distinct feeling)...

f. Needing to eat between meals to stay satsifed, whereas before you did not...

g. Etc.

then you probably need a fill. But there's no way you can just throw 3 criteria out there and say matter of factly that if you meet these, you need a fill, period. Just can't happen any more than you can say "if you can eat more than an ounce you need a fill" -- we all just vary too much if what we're able to do.

I called the dr.'s office regarding a fill and I can't get in until March 18th. I guess that will give me plenty of time to work with the restriction I do have and make the best use of it.

Eating junk is definitely a vicious cycle and I have to get off it immeadiately. The weather here is cold and miserable and even so not an excuse to sit inside and eat.

starryeyed