Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just found this site and I feel I have found my light at the end of a long, sad tunnel.I am living in Newfoundland, and although I may have missed one, I have searched back through the posts and am unable to find anyone from here who has been banded. I'm wondering if you guys could be helpful enough to provide me with extra information?

Anyone from Newfoundland who has been banned?

Recommened clincs?

Total cost?

Thanks so much in advance

Welcome - your attitude was the same as mine.

I felt such relief when I realized that there was a "light at the end of the tunnel". And, it worked for me!! Best thing I have ever done.

Sorry I can't help you re Nfld. bandsters.

Hi want, I am from Nova Scotia and banded in Moncton New Brunswick. I am not sure how much research you have done yet on clinic's and such. What I can tell you Self pay in Canada for the most part is around $16000.00. Nova Scotia health care paid for the procedure for me but they do not pay for the Band itself, and that cost $4500.00 Hope this helps.

Hi: I am in BC and was banded a year ago. The band is the best decision I have ever made BUT research carefully which clinic you go to. After care is such a big issue with long distance patients. There is a link called TLBC patients and you can get a lot of information from them. Also, two of the most popular clincis Dr. Coburn whose support system for fills is very good across Canada. The TLBC has Dr. Yau who was one of two surgeons who introduced the band to Canada. He has banded over 1600 patients and is in the process of setting up fill stations across Canada (a weakness of his clinic). However, if I had to chose again I would still go to TLBC.

Some questions to research: Surgeon and how many surgeries has he/she done. Any issues. As far as a know, there have been no deaths attributed to the band.

After care such as a fill nurse in the local area or can you afford to fly back and forth.

After care costs. TLBC is free others charge

Some sites: TLBC website giving information on the band as well as Dr. Coburn's site. You can get most of your medical information from those two websites. Also, I understand the charges are $18,000 now.:tongue2:

Keep asking questions of the various bandsters because, you will go thru a gauntlet of questions and fears. Hope this starts you on the way to making a decision. Good Luck

Doddie

Thank you so much for the replies. Thus far i have only researched the tlbc in toronto, however nb would be closer. Finanically it will be difficult , but i will find a way :glare:

You are on you way. Finances are a problem and TLBC has a financing scheme you can check on their website. However, most recommend a loan from your bank because financing interest can be expensive. I personally was so desparate I cashed in my RRSP but again, I have never regretted my decision.. Doddie

Thank you so much for the replies. Thus far i have only researched the tlbc in toronto, however nb would be closer. Finanically it will be difficult , but i will find a way :)

I agree with Doddie, research- research-research...

If you have over 100 lbs to lose and have some co-morbidities you could qualify for PROVINCIAL MEDICAL to pay for your proceedure.. You may have to go to US

Have you considered the Gastric Sleeve? Surgery is avail in Mexico...

With the lap band you have to gtravel back and forth for fills and checkups if anything goes wrong, so being close to a clinic or afford the travel costs?

So that being said, Roux-n-Y or Gastric sleeve may be a more appropriate option....Because once the surgery is done you have Immediate restriction, unlike with the band which may take 6 months of fills to get to restriction (3-9 fills)

As my dear friend Doddie said, Good luck in whatever you decide.

Oh just forgot, there is a gal on LBT who has gotten her PRovince to pay for her BAND.. Yukon, but she was operated on in Alberta and Yukon Health paid for the proceedure( about 1/2 anyways $8200)