Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New River Valley/Roanoke Area?

Hi ev'body,

TerriAnn, I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. I took a couple of days off from work and spent it in places w/ no internet (or amenities) whatsoever.

Thursday was my day of running: I'm working w/ Tammy in Dr. Bissell's office. I was scheduled for an upper GI, bloodwork, a cardiology/physiology consultation, an EKG, and a meeting w/ Dr. Bissell. After getting lost (many times) at the Radford hospital, I finally got the last thing finished on Friday. I now need to meet with the psychiatrist, and get a PAP smear, and take it from there. Dr. Bissell and Tammy want me to lose some weight and look again in 3 months.

I'm heading to the support meeting tonight in the Montgomery Room at the Carilion New River Medical Center in Radford at 6:30. I'm a little anxious, since I haven't been to something like that in quite some time. Hopefully I'll get to meet you there.

Y'all take care and have a good day.

Thanks for the info weirdling I went to the siminar on Wed. night the 28th but it was canceled and I failed to be aware of it so I am attending next week. I'm just getting a head start on stuff. I talked to someone that was at that 27th support meeting though, she said there seemed to be more people complaining about the Roanoke office then in Radford and that the Roanoke office did not seem to have as good of after care?? I'm trying to decide if I should go to the doc in Roanoke or in Radford, the Radford offices are so much closer for me.

The only other thing i have done is that I added the weight loss surgery to my health insurace - luckily it renewed this month or I would have to wait until the next renewal in 1 year...yikes.

Next Friday I will be talking to my doc about the lap band and getting recommended for it, so I guess that is my next step and I plan on attending the support meeting next month to hear from patients that already have it.

I guess I need to try and loose as much weight as I can before hand. It just never stays off.... :thumbup:

Good luck with all your scheduling and tests, hopefully youll get a date soon. I will be doing all of that soon I hope.

I hear of some people just taking 1-2 months to get a surgery date and some are into 6 months of running around and still no date, I wonder why some take more time?

Also, I see on this website of several great motivators that have lost on average 10 lbs per month totaling over 100 lbs lost in a year and some bearly loosing 5 lbs per month. Does that depend on the kind of foods you eat and excersize you do? Or is there something else preventing some to not loose as much?

ok - I went to the gastroenterology doc in Salem and he is recommending me to Dr. Quioco in Salem/Roanoke. I go for a consultation June 12th. Anyone have any experience with Dr. Quioco?

Anyways, I'm told he is very good at the weight loss surgery and takes less time than Lucktong? He said if he thought I needed more physicic stuff done he would send me to Lucktong, he takes more time in that area? And he also thougth I would do best with the bypass rather than the band?? I don't know why he is saying this when last year he thought I would do good with the band?? I wonder what changed his mind. He said that the band is temp and I need something permanant, since I have been overweight my whole life. But he is not the expert in that area, I guess I will see what Dr. Quioco has to say. I'm excited either way to take these steps to become healthier.

I wonder what the consultation will consist of??

Ok...I'm getting on the hamster wheel (read: bike and eliptical) and starting weights. The thing is...its been sooooo very long since I've done much with weights that I've forgotten most all I ever knew.

Anyone got any recommendations for their favorite weight machine/exercise/routine? The cardiac physiologist recommended resistance training 2-3 times/week for upper body, but other than basic curls and stuff, I haven't a clue.

I hate "hamstering" in front of everybody else at the gym, but its better than the alternative.

Hey how did the surgery go? And how are you feeling? I hope its all going well with you. Take care and let me know if you need anything.

Hi everyone,

I live in Blacksburg and go to the Radford Support group though my Doctor is Dr. Lucktong in Roanoke. I was banded May 14th and would like to join your thread if I may. I heard about this website at my last support group meeting and I think I need all the help I can get. I think I met a few of you at the meeting. Recently I have reached a wall in my weight loss and after doing so well it was like a slap in the face. So I turned here for support. :smile2:

Well hi Bob :tongue2: glad to have you join our thread!!

Hope all is well (escept for the wall ur hitting)

My surgery went great, I am back down at randolf park walking the trail... back up to 45 minutes but no where near the distance.

I wish I knew what my weight loss was looking like... I think I'm going to have to break down and buy a good scale... I have two and they weight me different and of course the scale at the dr office weights me different too??

So Bob... about this wall... what are you getting in each day?? For me it's a struggle to get any where near 1000 calories... especially on the full liquids.

Wait are you the Bob I was sitting next to who was sitting next to who had to wait for over a year cause of the doctor leaving and all??

Ok so what all are you getting in?? I know if one does not get in enough calories each day the body shuts down and will not let us lose any?? That has been a common thing I've read alot on these threads... and as soon as the calorie intake is bumped up the weight starts coming off....

Ok so I'll stop babbling and hollar at ya in a bit

Kim

I am also starting the process in Christiansburg. So far I've only attanded the info seminar. My 1st appointment is 7/21. How's it going for you since you posted this?

I am also looking to use Carillion in Radford. My first appointment is 7/21. I went to the 1st seminar this week. I'm excited, but not sure I'll be approved. I also use Anthem, but my BMI is 37.8. How's it going so far for you?

Everything is going great... I was banded June 3rd and am anxiously awaiting thursday so I can graduate to soft foods!!!

Dr. Bissell and his staff are GREAT!!!

Hopefully once you start the process you will get to meet us at the support group meetings.

Good luck and let us know if you need anything

Kim

I was actually referred to Dr. Quioco in Rocky Mount. He only does the gastric bypass and after speaking with a few other doctors and doing some research, I have decided to do the bypass rather than the band. For me, I think it is best. Several agreed and all referred me to Quioco, and I have heard nothing but good things about his experience. I have already had my consultation, had my visit with a shrink, and am awaiting insurance approval from Anthem.

Anthem requires you to have 2 health problems related to your weight and be over a certain BMI. I can't remember what the exact starting point is to be approved but mine was 53. I was thinking it was like 40 and over or something. I also have high blood pressure and Gerd. My doctor also is requesting I loose 20 lbs before my surgery date is set, I have a fatty liver and it will help to shrink it.

Good luck to everyone!

Glad to see locals with same questions and feelings I am having! I have my sugary in 8 days!!! has anyone kept there surgery a secret from friends and family? I don't want to be judged. Also any words of wisdom before surgery? Thanks! Marla

Is anyone out there in the Roanoke area? I got banded on 2-7-11 and was looking for some local support. Having a hard time...stuck at a plateau I think...

Hello Kokie,

I am not in the Roanoke area, however, I am attending the seminar on June 22, 2011. Have you already had your surgery? I have been researching bariatric surgery for 4 years and have decided on the lap-band. I have several co-morbities such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, etc. I have a BMI of 43 and need to loose weight very badly. After trying multiple diets and wasting thousands of dollars over several years only to gain what I lost back, I decided it was time to try weight loss surgery. I am excited to get the process going. I need to find some weight loss buddies in the New River Valley area of Radfors, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, etc. I do frequent Roanoke often, maybe we can meet up for lunch sometime. I would love to meet other people that has struggled with weight loss and has had surgery. Good luck in your journey! :welldoneclap: