Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking

Guest Bret2003

Guest Bret2003

I had my lap band surgery back in August. Recently I have had the urge to smoke again and have done so. Besides the obvious dangers of smoking which should scare me enough to quit what are the added dangers I face with the band?

Bret: As far as a danger with the band I can't think of one. I could be wrong but others might have some input. The smoking is more related to your lungs and how they can be affected. I have not seen any data suggesting that smoking can harm the band.

But again others might have more info.

Guest Bret2003

I thought my doc told me one time the blood vessels are smaller in the new stomach "pouch" so this will effect me in some way. I dont know if he was trying to scare me or what. I am very disappointed in myself after all of these months or not smoking wanting to go back again.

I smoke, I have had no trouble after over a year. Actually a doctor just short of said that smoking is better than overeating at this point!

Oh the smoking dilemma...I quit and gain, I start and lose, but only a little. Right now I am "ON" and this has been the biggest factor for me deciding to get banded. I know for certain that I will gain when I quit, but if I can get way down below 200, I am more willing to gain the 20-30 lbs, my hope is with the band, I will gain much less when the time comes.

When I give up eating as a coping mechanism, I smoke, what happens when I can do neither? Better for me to lose the weight first, then cross that bridge. If you have it in you to quit, Bret, don't look back! It's reassuring, though, that I will not damage the band by smoking, just my lungs! Unless a hacking cough just after surgery could cause problems? I feel so foolish smoking...any other advice here would be greatly appreciated by me, as well. Anyone quit while banded?

My doc said not to try to quit right after having the band....said that taking away both food and smoking just wasn't fair. SOOOO....still smoking with no problems.

I had to quit smoking before my doctor would do my surgery. His theory was that smoking can cause stomach ulsers and stomach cancer. When you have the band, the pouch and the larger stomach are now two areas of cancer concerns and why put yourself in that kind of situation. He would never agree to the fact that smoking is better than over eating. That is a very strange statement for a doctor to make. If you have or want to quit, try the patch. It works well. Good luck.