Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, tell me this.....

Since you have had your lap band surgery, are you obsessed with food and what you are eating OR does it all become routine and you dont even have to think about it anymore?

I am worried that the band may start to control my life and every thing I do. I want eating to be something I control--not something that controls me....if that make sense. I want it to be something I dont even think about...just eat good food and the amount of it I NEED, and not think about it too much. (after I learn what works and what doesnt....kwim?)

and....

Were you obsessed with food BEFORE the surgery? Was your next bite always on your mind? Or you LAST bite, for that matter? Beating yourself over what you just ate?

Ok, thats all!!!

Thanks a lot.

Stacie

Since you have had your lap band surgery, are you obsessed with food and what you are eating OR does it all become routine and you dont even have to think about it anymore? I am not. Eating is more of an inconvenience. Very few times do I have an emotional reaction to the prospect or action -- "look forward to," in other words. It's just something I have to do.

I am worried that the band may start to control my life and every thing I do. I want eating to be something I control--not something that controls me....if that make sense. I want it to be something I dont even think about...just eat good food and the amount of it I NEED, and not think about it too much. (after I learn what works and what doesnt....kwim?) The band will not control what you eat. At most it will control your portion size and perhaps remove a few of your choices, but that's it. The rest is up to you.

and....

Were you obsessed with food BEFORE the surgery? Was your next bite always on your mind? Or you LAST bite, for that matter? Beating yourself over what you just ate? In a way. I beat myself up for not being on a diet, more so than on a last bite basis. That was one of the great freedoms that came with my band: I didn't have to beat myself mentally, everyday, saying "I should be trying to lose weight..."

As for food - there were times where it was on my mind, but probably not that many. Perhaps because I was not much of an emotional eater. An example of when it would be on my mind - if we were planning a vacation, I would think first about the food and hope they had this or that.

hi stacie,

actually i think less about food and weight. initially when i was banded of course it took alot of time because i had to re-work what i ate, how i ate, etc.

now...i have more time to actually live.

before banding all i thought of was food, eating and how bad i looked.

it really has freed me from this addiction.

now i have to conquer my shopping addiction :eek:

I enjoy food much more than before the surgery becuase I know I'm in control of it and wont overeat. I had tortellini for lunch today, went out with a friend. Its a fattening, high carb choice, I know but I'm pretty much maintaining these days and I'm very active so once in a while I can afford to have these treats. Before band, I would have pigged out on it, today I ate about 6 pieces and was done. So even though its fattening and high carb, six pieces really doesnt add up to a lot of calories, it just adds up to not optimal nutrition for one meal.

However, I have to be honest and say that I have a little more anxiety about eating out and around others and although I could do with one more tiny fill to help me get off another five kgs or so, I really cant bear the thought of living with the tightness. I have to worry about what I'll choose and I have to eat so carefully and attentively (as its when I'm chatting with others that I get blocked). When we go away for a weekend with friends, I have to think about my options, etc. That gets tiresome. Sometimes I really do wish to be able to take the band out for a few hours. But I consider it a really tiny price to live with that in comparison to what I've gained.

I dont think constantly about what I am and am not going to eat, when my next meal is, etc. I dont eat in secret, if I want chocolate, I dont hide in the car to eat it, I just eat it! I dont feel people are judging me for the choices in my trolley or revolted if I eat something in public, I used to feel like everyone would think "that's disgusting she shouldnt be eating that".

I really do feel much freer of my issues than I ever thought possible, but as a former fat person, I really think this condition is somethign I will live with for life and its something I manage but am not cured of.

food is still a constant thought but not like it used to be. I think, "Don't forget to pack your lunch" now. Before I'd wake up thinking, "What can I eat, NOW, and at lunch and later and for dinner and ooh it's a birthday so I'm gonna have cake, gosh I'm hungry."

The chatter goes away. It really does.

For me, the most time I ever spend thinking about food was when I was on a diet. It felt like I spent every minute planning my next meal and very much looking forward to it as I was always starving. I've been overweight since I was 21 so I've dieted most of my life.

The band finally allows me freedom from that. Yeah, I have to think about what I'm going to eat, but only in the fact that I need to eat and I need good protien and veggies.

I thought for sure that I'd go mad missing pizza as it was my favorite food in the world and a non-negotiable once a week feast. Funny thing is, it rarely crosses my mind. Only when I see a commercial I think, hey, I haven't had pizza in forever and I don't even care.

I used to eat like there was no tomorrow and then beat myself up about it until the full feeling went away and I was hungry again. Then the cycle started all over. I wasn't an emotional eater, but I feel an addicted eater. Since being banded I've discovered how much carbs and overeating cause you to be hungry.

I'm also hypoglycemic and its practically in remission since being banded. I thought I would struggle with it, but the only time it appears is if I have carbs. I've known all my life I needed to eat low carb but could not do it to save my life, seriously. Now, it seems so logical and natural and more importantly, it's easy for the first time in my life.

I have been banded for a little over a month now... And I can't tell you how wonderful it is to not have have my life revolve around food anymore. I have to plan my meals carefully, but I don't feel like I obsess over what I'm gonna eat anymore. I feel free from that constant obsessivness. And I love it!!! I also LOVE my band!!! P.S. My first fill is this coming wednesday and I can't wait!