Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Valentines Day

Well, I signed on. The driving force is I am 47, a type 2 diabetic and roughly 60lbs from the ideal BMI.The diabetes thing ways on me, I read somewhere that on average diabetics die 13 years ahead of non-diabetics. It's an average--I could be above or below--but i really dont want to test it to find out. We all have our reasons, me I have 3 kids a loving wife and we have worked hard creating a good retirement plan that we hope to experience in the next 5-10 years. My parents are still alive and I am the only child within 3,000 miles. Needless to say we are close. I cant imagine what it would be like for them if something happened to me. I guess I am rambling--sorry.

Like everyone considering the band, diets don't work for me in the long run. I have a BMI 32 range. However for the band the diabetes is really my driving force. (6'3" 255) I have always been on the big size. Never thin, never small--never had a huge wieght gain in a short period. Just slow steady build. Eating out all the time will do that. I never was small, I am not trying to get back to anything--a smaller me is new territory--I have no idea how it feels.

It all came together quick. I went for the consult yesterday and he had just had a cancellation for Valentines day so I signed on to fill it. Normally they give you 2 weeks of "opti-fast" to help prep you--and the surgery is 6 weeks out from the consult. I think the time lag would make one re-evaluate so the short period is an advantage. But in my case there was no time--so he has me on slim fast. It's only been a day but 3 cans of slim-fast leave me starving. Hopefully it will get easier.

Its $16,000 CDN -- and no its not covered. The view is it is "preventable" -- a very archiac mentality-- the government would pay for the attention needed to address the associated heart problems, amputations whatever needed by the diabetes and complications thereof but a preventable measure such as this isn't ??????? That's government.

I think about 17% is returned via taxes. Yipee!!

Hopefully I will minimize the 13 year average factor by becoming diabetes free. If so---I got a hell of a deal at any price.

I know it is a tool not a solution I realize I have to make changes. This is an investment in me, hopefully It will provide a good return.

Thoughts--comments, tips, suggestions, what to expect etc. etc. are all welcome.

Wow Congratulations!!!! That was fast moving!!! I thought I had done well getting it done within a month of my first appt!

My husband also has type II diabetes. He is supposed to be on insulin but doesn't do it. He is trying to stay on my diet in order to lose weight and control it that way. Not sure that is going to work.

I'd be interested to hear about your progress, both in weight loss and with your diabetes.

It sounds like you have very good reasons to succeed!!!!

Best of luck!

My surgery date is also on V-day; I was supposed to go in on March 14th but they moved it up (which I have no arguments there). Everything happened very fast for me as well; a month or so ago my father had the surgery and both my parents suggested that I seriously consider this option to help prevent myself from suffering the family history of high blood pressure, diabetes and other weight related health problems. I go in today for my pre-op detailing and have not been told as of yet to start a liquid fast (cause in all reality, that is what it is).

As of right now I am very nervous, excited and frightened in having this surgery. Most of the downs are due to natural surgical risk factors and I know this is just one step in yet another battle towards health.

I have not completely explained my own situation on the forms, but I do know I have received some lack of support from people close to me. I understand that I am 5’6” weight at 257pounds and only have a BMI of 40… I also know that I have been dieting and such, since I was in 6th grade and that I reached 300+ pounds my freshman year of high school and stayed that way till collage.

The people who won’t give me the support look at me and see someone who holds their weight well. But in reality, my old knee injury really is a pain in my rump and the weight is not helping, the blood pressure is now high, and no matter how much I watch what I eat or how much exercise I do, I still stay in a consistent 20 to 30 pound flux (but that’s enough about me).

I know there are some others who are getting banded on V-day; it would be nice to keep in contact with some (same day) people to keep track of recovery and other progress.

Is anyone up for this? :tongue2:

Loup

Hi Taismommy,

You have 4 more days… Woot, Woot! Are you excited?!

I thought I would share a little bit about my experience as I know we are all different (please forgive me if it is not completely clear, I am still on pain meds). My dad had the same surgery about a month ago and was able to sleep soundly in his bed the first night. He also informed me that the most pain he had; was due to gas, so I suppose I did not expect to be in this much pain.

I tried sleeping in my bed the first day but felt like a turned over, stranded turtle… So I have been sleeping in a recliner for the last two nights.

As for the actual hospital experience, it went very well; my only fear was waking up in the middle of surgery and well, that didn’t happen! *yay* I would suggest that you make sure your doc prescribes you the nausea patch (the only that you put behind your ear) and that you see if you can put that on before surgery or right after. I found that this helps stop the urge to throw up. Also, do not forget the Maalox…

*gentle hugs*

Happy healing and hope all goes well on the 20th for you.

Loup