Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just needing a little info...

This has probably been asked but I have been hearing about it and want to hear more. How many of you are having issues with giving up foods? is it hard? I keep hearing how there is a lot to deal with, some getting depressed after some having a hard time giving up things. What has changed so much in your life after getting this surgery? What is the importance of talking to a psychologist about this? I have heard a lot of people go to one before and after but why what is the psychologist needed for?

Thanks these are just questions that pop in my mind when i read some comments and threads. Again I am only 17 and I want to learn as much I can before I get it.

Any answers will be appreciated.

Search the threads and you'll find lots of previous posts about the pysch evaluations. The search bar is in the upper right hand portion of the page.

Keep reading through the forum about how the band works and threads about "fills" and food and exercise and you soon learn a lot.

courtney

I have no issues at all about food, the only thing i gave up was the soda and junk food and i substitute my sugar for splenda. I eat things i ate before I just prepare them a little different. i dont fry i bake now there are somethings i fry but i use pam i dont use oil or crisco. its not so much a diet with this or giving up foods you love. the band is a tool the rest is up to you! this band retrains you on how to eat. it teaches you Portion Control. it teaches you what foods you can eat cause some foods you just cant eat cause it gets stuck. but you learn to read labels. with the band you want high protien foods because it will make you full faster and longer. then if you have room eat veggies keep the carbs to a minimum . having the band is a learning process you will try things and know what you can tolerate and not tolerate. bread is not band friendly it gets stuck but toasted its easier to eat. but bread is high in carbs so the less the better, Pasta high in carbs but if you eat in once in awhile it wont hurt you. Peanut Butter even though its a good protien source is sticky some can tolerate some cant. rice can get clumpy if you chew good some can tolerate some cant. but with whatever food choices you choose remember small bites chew chew chew chew and you should be ok. i use baby spoons and small plates it helps with portion control. hope you decide for this its great i love mine to death been banded 7 weeks and lost 42 pounds. but it takes work and exercise. and remember drink Water carry it with you at all times. and do not drink for 45 minutes to an hour after eating. or you will end up overriding the band cause youll just get hungry again in a short period of time. hope all goes well keep posting!!

giving up food is sorta like ... a very bad breakup between you and a boyfriend.. it's like losing your best friend... like ripping off a bandage from a very hairy arm.

You go through a grieving process when you give up foods, and it's often difficult to adjust to a healthier lifestyle.

For those of us who are older, we have had a longer love affair with food and it's hard to get through it. That's why many go to counseling. It's also required by many insurance companies.

oh yeah and about the psych eval. basically they want to be sure you understand completely about this surgery with the risks. make sure your able to comply with pre and post op rules. and make sure your able to deal with life after banding! youll do great.