Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about what to wear post op

I am very new to all this posting of messages and just have not been able to find a area that discusses what to wear after the surgery. I did read where one person said to wear comfy clothes and not underwire bras, but have not heard any of this from my doctor. If we are to wear sports bras, can you lift your arms well enough to get them on? I am thinking that those may not be very comfortable either, but wanted to hear what you all might suggest.

Thanks so much as I am getting banded on the 13th. We think it is the best Valentines's Day gift that my husband and I will ever receive!:biggrin:

Vegors..

I had my surgery yesterday and wore an oversized sweatshirt with NO bra. I recommend not wearing one. Just wear something that's loose fitting. Oh...and slip on shoes. You will want to walk as much as possible after surgery!! You will do great!!

I wore big comfy pajama pants and a tshirt under a sweatshirt. That covered all the bases and my clothes were so baggy you couldn't tell I didn't have a bra on.

Thanks Bigmarathoner! I will pack my slippers for inside the hospital and snow boots for the outside. I am hoping I can get my hubbie to tie those for me before we head home. How is the pain level for you today? My doc doesn't give out liquid scripts for pain mamagement. She says the medicine that she recommends is small enough to swallow. Just wondered if you needed any at all or could it be managed with liquid Tylenol?

Not really, I had a really easy time with it all. It probably would be a good idea to wear a button up shirt or the like.

I wore my normal bra home from the hospital and comfortable clothes. It really depends on where your incisions are. I do have one incision close to the band part of the bra, but my incisions never really hurt.

Now the gas pains.... they hurt!

My pain is totally managable today. I'm doing just fine with Liquid Tylenol. My doc gave me a liquid narcotic, but I will only take a little bit to help me sleep tonight. Starting to hear some loud gurgling noises in my tummy which is a good sign. Walk, sip, rest seems to be the only three words in my vocabulary at this point!! Oh yeah...don't forget to bring some chapstick with you to the hospital!

I didn't have a problem with my underwire bra going home. The pain meds were still working, so it wasn't an issue. It wasn't until several days later that it bothered me a little. I found an old underwire bra, snipped the edges and pulled the wires out. I knew I wouldn't be wearing that size of bra for very much longer anyway, so I didn't care. The "girls" are the first to go!! It worked great and served the purpose until I stopped itching.

I wore a sports bra and yoga pants to the hospital and have been living in yoga pants since my surgery. Just think comfy clothes and you'll be fine.

I agree with slip on shoes. I wore my house slippers to the hospital!

I never wear a bra....but then my wife wouldn't like it if I did!

lol....very funny!

I am very new to all this posting of messages and just have not been able to find a area that discusses what to wear after the surgery. I did read where one person said to wear comfy clothes and not underwire bras, but have not heard any of this from my doctor. If we are to wear sports bras, can you lift your arms well enough to get them on? I am thinking that those may not be very comfortable either, but wanted to hear what you all might suggest.

Thanks so much as I am getting banded on the 13th. We think it is the best Valentines's Day gift that my husband and I will ever receive!:biggrin:

I wore scrubs and an oversized button up shirt-slip on clogs.No trouble lifting my arms or walking.

4 months out-I still can t wear an under wire bra---the port is located not far south of that and won t tolerate the pressure. You ll do fine