Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you stay at one fill level forever?

I am wondering if my fill level is where it needs to stay.

I have not had a fill in over a year, but I have gained weight.

The reason for the weight gain is that I have found foods that I can get down easily and eat a lot of. I have had my band for over two years. My current fill level does restrict me from overeating most foods and I still throw up if I do overeat a lot of foods. So, I am wondering if my level is okay. I do know that I have to stop eating those foods that I can eat so easily that are so bad (candy, sweets, pasta).

I'm about 2 years out and haven't had a fill in at least 8 - 9 months, and don't plan on getting one in the forseeable future. I have roughly 50 lbs left to lose, and unless one of those 50 makes me a whole lot looser, I'm where I want to stay.

I think you need to look at more than whether or not too much food makes you yak to determine if you need a fill. Are you hungrier than you used to be? Does it take larger quantities to make you feel "not hungry"? Are you snacking between meals? Can you drink with meals? Can you now eat foods you previously couldn't tolerate? Those, and a ton more, are all factors I consider when determining if I need a fill or not.

You know this, but we can't eat crap and expect more fill to be the answer. If your band is controlling your portions with good foods, then it's doing its job.

Sounds like this is where YOU come into play...not the band.

I'm on maintenance and found Doritos go down so easily...yep, gained 2 pounds this week. While I am still 5 pounds below goal, I don't feel it's a bad thing.

However, we have to stay away from those things that cause the weight to pile on....like Doritos and whatever you've found you can eat alot without sliming it up.

Good luck and you've done so well!

I agree with Wheetsin. I'm 3.5 years out and although I had to have an unfill in Dec (and am now refilling) I think you have to make the decisions. Remember that your device will adsorb some of the Fluid over time. I think mine averages about .1 cc every 6 mos or so you do lose some restriction because of that. Getting your fill level checked might be a good start to cleaning up your eating. It's so hard, but worth it. I just went thru another motivation phase by getting the unfill and got recommitted to my band and a clean eating lifestyle. It's helped me start losing again!

Does the band really absorb some of the Fluid over time? I did not know that!

It has been well over a year since I have had any sort of fill. I wonder about that...???