Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Encouragement needed...

Hi Everyone I am Stacy and I am getting ready for my surgery this friday.. I am excited... and scared out of my mind:ohmy:

I am actually haveing my SX by the same Dr that did the lapband for Cassie who was on Oprah yesterday..Dr Ortiz in Mexico.

I have no issues with who is doing my surgery.. I am scared to death of pain..and thanks to the movie that came out 2 months ago now I am worried about waking up durring the surgery.

Any advice or words of encouragement would be wonderful!!..

I leave on thrusday.....:)

Stacy

I've had 6 surgeries over my 55 years. This one was the EASIEST by far. I had mine in San Diego at UCSD Medical Center. The team was incredible. The only thing that was slightly uncomfortable was the shot. It burned like a tetanus shot for a few minutes. Nothing.

I took 3 nice breaths of oxygen and ....awoke. Without grogginess or nausea.I had a mild sore throat and a little cut on the inside of a lip that went in a few days. Throat lozenges the first day only.

Felt a little discomfort in the tummy so they gave me a pain med. It went away.

I needed some help being lifted and lowered into bed. The incision sites would OUCH a bit if I used my core muscles. That passed by day 3. I took 3 dosages of the tylenol with codeine and stuck it in the med cabinet.

The most discomfort has been sore shoulders and clavical area from the CO2 used to inflate the torso. It is tolerable, not as intense for me as a hard workout. Walking helps.

Bloating has been slightly uncomfortable, feeling like you need to pass the gas and can't. It's not painful. That is almost gone now

I had diarrhea for a couple of days. That passed when I graduated from Clear liquids to full liquids.< /p>

The most painful experience for me the entire time was the pre-op procedure for swallowing--the manometry--where the tube with the camera goes thru the nose into the tummy. I had a deviated nose (didn't know it), so it was painful trying to shove the tube up a broken nose. And then the Water drops went into my trachea and lungs, instead of the esophogus.

It's over.

Onward!

Best to you.

PS Read about the dietary stages in the forum. If I were you, I'd make sure I followed the more conservative dietary guidance. I was surprised you're eating whole food before surgery. My surgical team said liquids are crucial to keep the liver small. I drank 2-3 Protein drinks, sf popsicles, Jello, 3 servings of yogurt, cottage cheese, clear broth 2 weeks before surgery. Those who needed to lose greater weight did this a month, a nurse told me.

Camera that goes in your tummy?

In everything I have read or heard I have never seen the camera. I know about the tube that is inflated to help place the band. Has anyone else had the camera?

You can do it! :confused:

I had surgery last Thursday and I swear you are echoing all my pre-surgery fears! I was STRESSED out...but I finally decided to let.the.stress.go.

Do not worry about waking up during surgery. Movies are to entertain and sensationalize things. I worried about this as well. I honest to God, do not even remember them giving me the anesthesia! I remember being put on the OR table and the next thing I remember is grabbing to get the oxygen mask off my face!

Calm down. You are so lucky to be having the surgery. Think of all the people out there who would love to be in our positions. As I sit here and type, sipping on more Water, I definitely know where you are right now. It will be fine. You will do great. :tt1:

Stacy - my surgery was 1/23/08 - take the pain meds the Dr. prescribed

I never had real PAIN, just discomfort -I stopped taking the meds on the 4th day and back to work 2 days after that

Focus on why you want the band - and the results you'll see immediately

good luck

Sandy

banded 1/23/08

205/177/166/120

high/surg dt/today/goal

Everything will be fine. It is natural to be afraid, I know I sure was, but then again I did not watch a movie like the one you did. Honestly, I went in to the surgery prep room, got on a scale, got undressed, sat on a bed and they put my IV in my hand and injected it with morphine. Within minutes everything became fuzzy. I remember them wheeling me into the operating room and I remember someone telling me to take four deep breaths and I don't remember anything else until I woke up a couple of hours later banded. I won't lie to you I hurt when I woke up and my body was very sore for about a week, but now three weeks later, I am feeling great, sleeping better and I have more energy than I have had in a very long time.

Hey There! I was just banded last Thursday and I had a fine experience, I was a little uncomfortable for a fews days after but never really in severe pain. I never even used the narcotics they gave me because I have a weak stomach for them and was too afraid of puking. I just used ibuprofen and felt fine. I can barely feel anything now. BE strong and look forward to your new lifestyle! Good luck! SUE :confused:

HI Ugagirl, Thanks, I did make sure I had the whole discussion with my surgeon because of my fear of what the narcotics might do and he said that ibruprofen would be ok. Good looking out.

Thanks Good luck!

funkyness....goodluck with your surgery......The pre surgery worries and fears are the worst part of it..........speedy recovery and let us know how you are doing....:thumbup: